Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets

Waterworks—Do they talk to walk-ins?

nhbaskets
4 years ago

DH and I are in DC for the week. Today we visited Georgetown and stopped into a Waterworks shop. I’ve only been in WW once before while visiting DH at Rice in Houston.

We walked in. Saw two people sitting at their desks working on their computers. Neither looked up or acknowledged us. We took our time walking around looking at the eye candy. While doing so, walked right by both people. Neither looked up or spoke a word.

Is this typical? Do they expect you to make an appointment and have a designer with you? If that’s the case, then why bother have a storefront?

Comments (16)

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    4 years ago

We used to have a Waterworks in our town. Their salespeople were actually quite friendly and talkative, but that was almost 20 years ago before the brand was as well established. I get the feeling they are a bit more like a design center showroom now. Last time I was in a location in SF, they answered my question, but I had to seek them out.

nhbaskets thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • chispa
    4 years ago

NH, I've been to the one in Melrose Pl, Los Angeles and yes, you can get ignored at these places!

I have been ignored in some design stores, but the 3 times I went into Waterworks last year, I was actually looking for tile and I was acknowledged every time. Maybe because I was carrying my project bag with cabinet door samples sticking out.

When I'm ignored in places like this, I just find a table and start pulling out samples, floor plans or whatever I have for the project. I then start pulling sample boards from the walls and that usually gets someone's attention! I don't really need their help for design, but they are the ones who know their inventory and where all the samples are!

The LA store did have more than 2 people working on the floor and a few more in the offices in the back.

If I'm just window shopping then I'm not too worried about getting help, but they should look up and say hello/welcome, and ask if you need help.

I have taken my business elsewhere and let the business that didn't even say hello, know why I bought somewhere else.

nhbaskets thanked chispa
  • nhbaskets
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Right after WW, we went into a Kate Spade shop. Totally different experience. DH actually enjoyed himself and the 20-somethings that could not be more attentive and friendly.

• chispa
    4 years ago

Anglo, I also got ignored at the BDC when I used to live in the area years ago. I think I was looking for a dining room table at the time.

I have learned how to work the Design Center here in LA! I've watched Jeff Lewis on his show, and other than quantity and scale of his projects, I don't see why he should get more attention! ;-) Walk in like you own the place ... all about your attitude!

nhbaskets thanked chispa
  • nhbaskets
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yesterday I also made a comment on the WW Instagram account that I follow. Surprisingly, today they messaged me asking for my email address so they could contact me. Haven’t replied yet.

• wysmama
    4 years ago

Interested to hear WW thoughts. Email them and report back, please

nhbaskets thanked wysmama
  • User
    4 years ago

I've had similar experiences at various Studio41 locations, a kitchen and bath design company in the Chicago area. The inner city one is the only one where the staff is actually human, answers questions and interested in making a sale.

I ended up using them to compare sinks, faucets, countertops etc. but took my business elsewhere.

nhbaskets thanked User
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Good for you nhbaskets!

nhbaskets thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Robin Morris
    4 years ago

I got helped right away at the SF Waterworks and I am fairly obviously not a designer... I am pretty sure I was wearing old jeans, a t-shirt and some beat up sketchers. I remember what I was wearing because I went to many high end design stores that day and got great service everywhere. I remember thinking that if I went around to fancy stores dressed like that somewhere else (like in Atlanta where I'm from), I wouldn't get the time of day.

But that is something I do love about SF... anyone could be a tech multi-millionaire.... the scruffy guy in an old hoodie or the thrift store chic 20 something, so better be nice to everyone.

nhbaskets thanked Robin Morris
  • Shannon_WI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

"Hermes is infamous for this"

I've been to the Chicago and Palm Beach Hermes stores. They couldn't have been nicer, and I was just window-shopping. In the Chicago store, they let me try on a number of bracelets. and the salesperson and I had fun with it, trying on all kinds of stuff. Not fair to paint such a broad brush and say they are infamous. Who says?

Perhaps this is analogous to those posts where people complain that contractors are brusque and dismissive. Sometimes that is true, but I often wonder with these kinds of things what is the demeanor of the person complaining. Were they haughty, or defensive, or so wishy-washy about what they wanted that the contractor gave up, or what.

For the OP, perhaps those people that you said were at their computers were on a deadline and having to fill orders by a certain time to get them shipped asap. Who knows, but there could be more to the story than just they were ignoring the customer. Why didn't you ask them? They might have responded "sorry, can you just give me 5 minutes, I need to get this order in", or something like that. There are two sides to every story.

"The inner city one is the only one where the staff is actually human, answers questions and interested in making a sale."

ETA: Pippabean - I've been to the Studio 41 on route 41. My experience there was that you have to go to the main desk, and ask for a salesperson, and they will get someone for you who will then take you around the entire store and help you with whatever you need - bath, kitchen, counters, hardware, etc. it's pretty vast. Until you do that you are free to browse--there is a lot of stuff to see there. It's a more efficient method than to have salespeople standing around in the large showroom with nothing to do because so many people there are just browsing.

nhbaskets thanked Shannon_WI
  • nhbaskets
    Original Author
    4 years ago

...perhaps those people that you said were at their computers were on a deadline and having to fill orders by a certain time to get them shipped asap.

True. But how much does it take to say Can I help you? or Is there something in particular you were looking for? When we entered and saw someone sitting at a desk, I said hello. No response.

I did reply back on Instagram providing my email. Received a reply back that the DC showroom GM would be in contact. Haven’t heard anything.

• gthigpen
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'm in Dallas and have been to the Waterworks showroom several times to look at tile. All as a complete walk-in off the street with no appointment. They were very helpful every time. Pulled me samples (as many as I wanted), walked through design books, discussed the different tile options. The last time I went I was ready to talk pricing and they were very helpful. I wanted to look at Encore tiles but their showroom is by appointment only and only with designers. I was annoyed with that whole policy and never tried with them. I'm 90% certain I'll be ordering Waterworks tiles within the month.

nhbaskets thanked gthigpen
  • nhbaskets
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wanted to follow up on my experience with Waterworks from my DC trip in May. Last I reported, I was expecting to hear from the showroom GM. He did contact me apologizing and asking for my address so he could send me something. I certainly wasn’t expecting to get something out of this, so held off responding. The person who had originally reached out on Instagram followed up since I had not replied. A week ago I provided my address. Today in the mail I received a package, beautifully wrapped. In it was hand soap and lotion (in glass containers!), a scrub brush and two linen hand towels. A very nice note was also included.

Will this make me buy from WW in the future? Time will tell, but I certainly will drop by to look at the eye candy if we happen to be near a store.

• Robin Morris
    4 years ago

Wow! Nice that they cared about your bad experience.

I didn't mention in my early post that I did wind up buying a lot of expensive handmade tile from them. I was very happy with my whole experience and absolutely love my tile. Their artectronics tile line is pricey compared to normal tile but way cheaper than to other handmade tile lines like Encore and just as lovely.

nhbaskets thanked Robin Morris
  • Allison0704
    4 years ago

That was nice they cared so much about your bad experience. Wonder if showroom employees got a talking to! I purchased WW for our remodel last year - MB, DD1 bath and kitchen, purchased through a locally owned plumbing and tile showroom. Since we were GC-ing the project, she passed along contractor's discount. I liked giving our business to a local company, a plus that it is female owned.

nhbaskets thanked Allison0704