Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_538269574

crown molding above kitchen cabinets

Natasha Osvalds
4 years ago

We are stuck once again! So, we have decided on stacked cabinets. The upper cabinet will have glass. We have existing crown molding throughout our kitchen that is 3.75in. We are having trouble transitioning cabinets molding into kitchen molding. The current design has 6in crown molding. Seems thick to me but contractor is telling us that is our only option unless we get a customize size cabinet. We are using Omega. We have 9 foot ceilings. He said to transition into our modeling, using our modeling but with customize cabinets it would cost over $5k in up charge. Our cabinets are white. His solution is to just have corner stops. Thoughts?

Comments (7)

• K R
    4 years ago

We have 5.5 inch crown, it isn’t too much at all, looks very nice. We luckily were able to match it to the existing crown we had in our family room/kitchen, but it looks seamless. We also have 9 foot ceilings and stacked cabinets.

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

but contractor is telling us that is our only option unless we get a customize size cabinet.

I am a little confused about the math here and why your contractor is saying custom sizes. You did not provide information on most of the measurements. I have 9' ceilings with stacked cabinets. Here are my measurements:

Floor to top of counters = 36"

Distance from counters to bottom of upper cabinets = 18"

First row of upper cabinets = 36" tall

Top stack of upper cabinets = 15" tall

Crown = 3"

Many people get 6" crown. I wanted a smaller crown, with a 15" upper stack. Just my preference. None of the sizes were custom. If I had to do a new kitchen, I might make the upper stack a bit taller than 15" and the lower stack a bit shorter than 36", because I have seen that proportion on this forum and like it. But I would keep the crown at 3", which I prefer, but many people like a bigger crown, so it's personal taste.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

We also have 9' ceilings and used the same 6" high profile throughout the kitchen and family room for a seamless look. Our local lumber yard matched the profile of the painted crown that came with the cabinets for less money and our painters finished it. I am afraid that using stops would look like you didn't have an experienced trim carpenter. No matter what size you choose, I would make it all the same.

• Natasha Osvalds
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So more information ours is the same as yours...

Floor to counter- 36 in
    Counters to bottom of lower wall cabinets- 18 in
    Counter to ceiling- 72in

We are using Omega. He is insisting we need custom upper to use 3in molding.

Cabinets- total 51 (he says Omega doesn’t make lower and uppers in this size std)
    Trim- 3
    Counter to cabinet- 18

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    4 years ago

I'm sure Omega has pre-made stacked wall cabinets. Most semi-custom and custom cabinet brands now offer this. No one really 'stacks' anymore unless you go with a brand that doesn't offer it.

To fill the space above, You can do a flat stock molding + crown molding ....so then you can go with a crown that's similar or same height as the existing room crown.

Have you ordered your cabinets yet? Sounds like this needs some more planning and thought.

Off topic: Your last name is similar to my maiden name which is Osvath. I have a Hungarian family tree that dates back to 1616 with the original name written on it as Osvald. Just thought that was interesting and I'm totally a genealogy nerd.

• Natasha Osvalds
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mystery solved...sorta. Kitchen guy just told me after dealing with him for 2 months, not stacked cabinets but one transom cabinet. Omega only offers these cabinets in 3 sizes and unfortunately the top section can only be customized to certain heights with insane up charges. He currently has our setup as :

Lower section: 33
    Top section: 18

To change to 36 and 15 is going to be very expensive.