0
party_music50

Any thoughts on this sofa?

party_music50

Just saw this sofa listed on craigslist. The carving is much more intricate than anything I've ever seen on this type of couch and the feet are unusual. Any thoughts on the sofa in general, the wood used, and what timeframe the sofa would be from? It looks to me like it must be missing the seat cushion. I wouldn't hate owning it. lol!

• lindac92

It's a recalmier of the very late Victorian period....1910 and perhaps after....missing the top cushion. the wood looks like oak.

• party_music50

Thank you, lindac!

• elunia

Resolution is poor, but is that a materials tag?

• party_music50

Sorry, I have no idea if that's a tag. It's a sofa that's listed on my local craigslist and I've only seen the photos.

• elunia

Ahh, ok. well I’m inclined to think the couch is not in the antique category.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

It certainly doesn't look very old, as in 'antique' old...

• party_music50

I think of 'antique' as being approx. 100 years old or more (e.g., like 1910)... so I assume that means you're thinking this sofa is more like something from the 1950s or 60s?

• writersblock

I'm wondering if that's one of the Magnolia Hall pieces from the 80s. They liked those massive, only-surface-carved feet.

• Martha Scott

Or even later. I've seen them new in stores within the last 5 years. If that is a tag -- it may help date it!

• elunia

Whatever it’s age (maybe qualifies as vintage?), I don’t think it’s a quality piece.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Thinking it's vintage - there' something about the look of the carving/wood...

• party_music50

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts on it!

• bellburgmaggie

It looks like a chaise lounge without the top cushion and the carving looks exactly like 1980’s Magnola Hall. It’s not an antique.

• lindac92

Never saw Magnolia Hall before!!....more expensive than real antiques!!

• party_music50

Thanks for the info!