0
1nonlyj

Another one for hikers and the outdoorsy type (TMI warning)

IdaClaire

I have been meaning to acquire a device that will allow a woman to pee standing up for ages, having squatted to tinkle behind trees and rocks and even extra large cacti for years on backcountry treks. I finally remembered to do so as I thought it would be nice to have on our Iceland trip where we are sure to be miles from facilities on occasion. I tried it out today in the privacy of my back garden, and oh my word. How have I lived without one of these for so long? The one I chose works like a charm. No mess, no fuss (I will keep it packed in a separate case and will take along wet wipes and a plastic bag for cleanup after use), and best of all, no awkward squatting while trying to keep the stream from splashing back or on my footwear and clothes. Easy PEEsy!

• Sueb20

I’m sorry but the idea of you peeing in your back yard made me LOL! So what is this device that you found? I’ve never heard of such a thing.

• IdaClaire

I know, Sue! Possibly one of the stranger things I've ever done in the backyard! Can you see my product photo and link above?

• Sueb20

Yes, now I can.

• eld6161

Okay, I am trying to understand this. I looked at the link and it says that you can "go" standing while clothed. How is this possible, unless you are wearing a dress?

• maddielee

I may have tested it in the privacy of my bathroom.

that said, I am always looking for a device to use while boating.

• dedtired

I know there’s one called Go Girl that looks more similar to a male appendage. My friend used it for golfing but I’m not sure how she managed that. It does seem like you might have to start wearing men’s underwear.

• IdaClaire

Love that Sedaris piece! He is so funny!

I had on yoga pants when I used it. I simply pulled them down in front enough to position the device in place. Very easy to do if you have on pants / undies that you can just pull down a bit in front. That is what I wear when hiking. With zippered pants you could insert through the zipper provided you can pull your undies to the side enough to place the device where it needs to go. Well, unless you're commando. With the yoga pants though, it was super quick and easy.

I didn't test it out in the bathroom because if I failed to do something correctly the first time, I sure didn't want to inadvertently pee all over the floor.

• localeater

My SIL has one so that she can pee while in the car. I dont ask a lot of questions. I am a HUGE backpacker, DH and I have done 10+ day hikes many times. I have never really found squatting to be an issue. Am I missing something?

• Bunny

I'm with localeater. I've never had a problem with squatting either, esp. if there is a little incline. Any port in a storm.

• IdaClaire

Local, I have squatted outdoors countless times and am actually pretty "accomplished" at it, but this device made it refreshingly easier. The older I get, however, the less balanced I am while squatting, and I had it splash back on my clothes and boots a time or two on my last trek which was gross. It's just nice to have an option now. I think this is a pretty sweet little invention and just wanted to share. It's not like I care how you prefer to pee "in the nature." ;-)

• Annie Deighnaugh

I have something similar but I practiced in the shower, not outside...

Also, it's useful for women to know how to go standing up without a 'funnel'...you can find instructions on line. It takes a little practice, esp to avoid the final dribble, but it works in a pinch.

• 3katz4me

How interesting - never knew there was such a thing. Having an above knee prosthetic leg makes it pretty much impossible to squat. I don’t hike/camp but I have been in plenty of parts of the world with squat latrines which causes some angst about whether one will find a western toilet when needed. This device would come in very handy.

DH determines whether the privacy of the property our homes are on is acceptable based on whether or not he can take a leak outside. I guess yours would pass inspection Ida.

• bpath Oh Sophie

How do you carry it, what do you do with it when you're done?

oth, wish I'd had one my Yorkshire walk, the day we were in treeless moors and it was that time of the month (hmm, nothing to be done about that, eh? Except bring extra ziplok sandwich bags.)

• IdaClaire

I'm ordering one of these pouches to keep it in, which will slip inside my daypack.

• Sheeisback GW

This is awesome. I’ve only ever had to go in the great outdoors a few times but I found the process awkward and unpleasant for sure.

• blfenton

Thanks for the chuckle tonight. I am just so glad that others pee in the forest as I do. I do a lot of trail running and there are those times when I'm looking for something off the trail. Fortunately I run and hike in the forest so finding privacy isn't usually an issue.

• yeonassky

Looks like you found the right product. I knew about these as the family used to hike a ton. Mother couldn't squat at all.

There's a place by the river where we walk our dogs and one time I saw a woman whom I had seen before. It looked to me like she was sitting on the ground. Her two children were sitting on the ground right beside her too. I said hello and she gave me a very dirty look and then I realized she wasn't sitting she was squatting and peeing right out in the open right beside the road and I was supposed to somehow know it. She was wearing a skirt which covered everything. I laughed. She didn't appreciate that either. I thought it was funny.

• daisychain01

Thanks for this Ida. We do a lot of long forest walks (we call it forest bathing after the Japanese). Squatting is okay in summer, but isn't as inconspicuous as standing. In winter, with full snow gear on, it is really inconvenient (not to mention ridiculously cold baring your hiney at -20 ).

I'd heard of the silicone one, but friends said it didn't really work. This looks much better. There is a video of someone comparing the two. I think I may ask for this for my bday - haha!

• OutsidePlaying

I knew they existed because DH showed them to me years ago. Female pilots of small planes apparently use them a lot.

I am pretty accomplished at squatting too, but as my knees get more stiff with age it’s harder, so I may end up getting one just to carry along just in case.

• Annie Deighnaugh

When we were in SD, there was nowhere to go, so we pulled over the side of the highway. I opened the passenger doors in the front and the back and sat on the sill of the passenger side door...had total privacy that way. But turns out we didn't need it...no one drove by the entire time.

For my 'spout', I made a little cotton draw string bag to carry it in.

• Annie Deighnaugh

My folks always chuckled when they told the story of a woman they saw in Mexico with her large gathered skirt on walking across the field. She stopped and squatted for a bit, then got up, shook herself and kept on walking.

• mtnrdredux_gw

OK thanks for the images guys. Too funny. It does take some dexterity indeed.

Ida I can never think of you the same way again. And RSVPing regrets for your GW cookout! LOL ; )

• daisychain01

Annie, my mom talks about watching her grandma do that!

• sealavender

No worries about squatting in poison ivy or oak with this device, that's for sure! That actually happened to my friend's roommate an eternity ago. She was a very strange woman, I might add. Bpath, there is something; check out "DivaCup."

• IdaClaire

Oh, I have never really been shy about these things. I'm not quite as liberated as my cousin though, who once had to pee so badly that she just pulled to the side of a busy road and did a squat. Unfortunately, a police car happened by at the same time and she ended up being cited for "public exposure of genitalia." Yeah. You don't wanna be THAT person.

• Annie Deighnaugh

There is an advantage to shirts with long tails....or hiking in loose-legged shorts.

• localeater

Sounds like something I need to investigate!

• bpath Oh Sophie

sealavender, thanks, but that's done.

• terezosa / terriks

I have P Style that I bring on the Camino in Spain. I practiced with it in the shower, but have never actually had to use it.

• Yayagal

called female urinal