Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lozzaine

New kitchen issues

lozzaine
4 years ago

I am building a new house and when we went to install the kitchen we lacked an inch of being able to center the sink under the window. So to make it right we switched a 24” base cabinet for a 21” base cabinet that was surrounding the stove. In doing that it means the cabinet up above the 24” base cabinet will be smaller at 21”. Is that going to be ok? Plus I am concerned about the black splash going beyond the upper cabinet. It is on an outside wall next to a door opening. I do not want to buy a new cabinet because it is a beautiful cabinet with a built in silver drawer and the added cost.

Comments (27)

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is a very crude hand drawing . It took me three tries to get it the right direction. LOL I hope!

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The upper is 21” with the 24” on the bottom and it is at the end. Tile will have to extend beyond the upper to make the back splash.

• chispa
    4 years ago

If there is an island in front of all this, then it won't be that obvious that the bases are different.

I would look at that section and wonder why you didn't center it.

I think I would want that upper cabinet to match the lower one. A 21 and 24 won't be that obvious on either side of the range, but that weird offset blank space certainly will. I would want a 24" cabinet to the right of the hood.

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes there is an 8’ island in front of it. We did design it to be the same but we used the 21” cabinet over by sink so it could be centered under window. The 24” didn’t fit where it was planned for because of door trim couldn’t open the drawers!

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kitchen was ordered before house totally built and it definitely caused problems but too late now!

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If I have a bigger upper to match the bottom then it will not be balanced on either side of the hood range. I am bummed but don’t want to spend anymore money and the 24” cabinet has a built in silverware drawer and one below so I really don’t want to just replace it. Maybe my tile guy will have a good idea. I’m just sick over all this! My sink would not be centered under the window if I had left the 24” cabinet on that wall.

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry I don’t have good pictures right now.

• chispa
    4 years ago

Couldn't you just order a new 24" upper? Even if you have to wait for it and do the backsplash later, it wouldn't be a bid deal and wouldn't affect anything important.

• chispa
    4 years ago

What I am saying is that a 21 and 24 upper won't be that obvious, but the blank wall and mismatched upper and lower near the door frame will be noticeable. You need to order a new 24" upper and it will look fine.

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You don’t think a 21 on left side of the hood range and a 24” on the right side wouldn’t look unbalanced around the hood range?

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would have to talk my husband into buying a new upper! $$$

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I disagree with chispa. No one will ever notice the lowers are not the same. We tend to look up. As long as the two uppers on either side of the cooktop are the same size, you're fine.

Honestly, none of my uppers match up with my lowers.

• chispa
    4 years ago

CP, I think they will notice because of the backsplash extension. Maybe seeing a scale drawing would help. The hand drawing got the point across, but without scale probably looks much worse than it will be.

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

I am wondering if an inch off in centering the sink would even be noticed. I'd go back to your original plan. I just checked my own sink - my cabinets are 21 years old and my sink is not exactly centered. I never noticed and I am incline to be a visual person:)

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Like jh, I just checked my lowers and discovered they are off centre to my window by a good inch. Never noticed 'til now. Uppers are not lined up with lowers.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

That is often the case and I have to tell I always center the sink under the window but it is not imperative that the uppers and lowers match in size it is IMO more important tha both do the job they are there for but I do agree to order the 324” cabinet and maybe make use of the 21” in a laundry room or mud room.

lozzaine thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will take actual pictures once they put up the uppers

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Patricia, your saying you would order a different size upper? My drawing shows the tile extending further than it actually would be. Actually it would only be a 3” end bullnose tile Running vertical to the backsplash. I hate this, here I thought everything was going to be fine but I didn’t feel I could look at my sink everyday and have it be off center with the faucet and also off center with the window. That is why I changed the 21” to where the 24 was. That is why my upper is 21” and my lower is 24 around stove on an end wall

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    4 years ago

I scanned this post so I don't know if the question was answered about the sink. I'm confused about the sink center and how it relates to the range area??? Can you post a layout of everything? You can adjust a 1" offset from the window by fudging the sink 1/2" off and centering the faucet on the window. Really depends on your cabinet, sink and faucet situation. A faucet with a side handle might disguise it better.

I did my best friends kitchen years ago...she's as OCD as they get. I had given her two options at that time using stock grade and she could get a better layout if she would accept the sink 1" off center from the window. She said there's NO WAY she could EVER live with that. We hung up the phone. She called me back 10 minutes later laughing. She measured her existing sink and it was 5" off center from the window and in the 20 years living in the house, she never noticed it. :-)

Anyway...post a a layout and we can help you better

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

Here is my thought on that stove wall ( if I am following what you are saying....)

• Joy Wills
    4 years ago

Just center the faucet on the window and put your cabinets back in the original layout. The faucet will be slightly off center of the sink, but will visually center it. Our sink was off by 3/4" from center (despite measuring 20 times by 4 different people, but oh well) and I just told the contractor to center it on the windows (we had two with a wood frame in the middle), and it looks great.

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Stop the tile at the end of the upper cab as it should be done, not at the end of the counter.

lozzaine thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi I think you right Daisy.

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will post actual pictures when they have the uppers up.

• lozzaine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That should be, I think your right Daisy! Darn computers and grammar!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022