Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

In Praise of Days with Purple Haze ...

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm not sure why I resisted planting Vitex for many years when it gives so freely of color like this. Standing near is like being engulfed in purple haze ...

Vitex also comes in white shown below, and pink, which I've recently planted ...

I'm not sure if what is commonly called 'beach vitex' is actually related, but here are it's pretty little purple flowers ...

Texas rock rose is the prettiest it's ever been. This is one plant ...

Pipe vine swallowtail caterpillars have been slow in coming this year. These are the first, but their lateness in arriving has given the pipe vines a chance to grow large and bloom ...

Same with Gulf frit caterpillars which has allowed the native passion vines a chance to grow large enough to feed a few. I'm still looking for 'blue crown' passion vine if any one sees them for sale in San Antonio ...

The caterpillars roam free, but some critters hatched from eggs have to be caged lest they get loose, grow large, and wreck havoc upon the garden ... ;-)

However, this one was deemed to be benign ...

Closing this post with an early morning overview ...

Wishing more of these beautiful lazy hazy days to you all ....

Comments (92)

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Updated pic of my duranta on steroids -- the bees are going nuts.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked javiwa
  • blakrab Centex
    4 years ago

"I've read where Vitex has become invasive in some localities, but I've never found even one volunteer ... so far. "

I suspect they can be invasive in riparian or lakeside areas...where the prolific seeds can be spread by periodic floodwaters (not birds, as with most invasives).

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked blakrab Centex
  • javiwa
    4 years ago

Well, shoot! Big storm blew through hard this morning, and my main leader on the duranta snapped. :( Sigh....

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Javiva, so sorry, but I'll betcha' it will grow back quickly and be even more beautiful.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Thanks for the pep talk. :) I'm going to jam that branch into some water to see if I can keep it blooming a bit longer for the butterflies.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

maybe it will root.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • javiwa
    4 years ago

I have so many successfully rooted cuttings, I've been giving them away. I actually wanted to replace one of our front yard ligustrums with a duranta, and started a few cuttings last fall. They root easily, but I didn't have the patience to wait until they became large enough to replace a huge shrub: so, I broke down and hit the half-off sale at a local nursery and bought a 4' version for cheap! Still, I can never resist an opportunity to jam cuttings into dirt to see if they'll root. :)

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Tried to perform a little bit of first aid. Cut the fallen branch in half and repositioned it back onto the main trunk as flush as possible (wrapped with twine and duct tape to hold it in place and keep it from drying out). Nothing ventured, etc. We'll see if I can salvage this.

Didn't want to waste anything:

What a shame to lose all those blossoms (and future ones), right as peak butterfly season is approaching.

ETA: The way it's been flapping around in the breeze lately, I had every intention of staking that main branch. Should not have waited -- lesson learned.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Speaking of haze, this back-lit haze of seed pods on Talinun 'lemon' drove me back into the house to get my camera ...

I love this little plant passed along at a plant swap ....

The wooden top of my favorite small bird cage deteriorated from all the rain causing it to sag as it hung so I came up with plan B. Sometimes a different location for an old bit of yard art raises one's appreciation for it ...

Of course I took another photo or two ...

As seen from the opposite direction ...

While I made plans for a desert landscape Mother Nature responded by presenting me with a rain forest, which is really my preference anyway. Oh well, I'm flexible. Desert plants are waiting in the wings if and when the weather changes, and it will.

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

What a shame about the wind snapping the tallest center branch, Javiwa. But that may not be such a problem after all if it dies on off. A lady in a San Antonio nursery where my Dad bought my two told him the proper way to prune them is to cut out branches at the center, never the outside or tips. Since their natural tendency is to grow from the center hub and the branches, with weight, want to umbrella out and down to the ground, that makes perfectly good sense. That is how I always pruned my two huge ones at my last house. The mound got taller, but no branch shot up the center for very long. They quickly draped on down toward the ground and went to hardwood near the center hub So maybe Mother nature just pruned yours FOR you. :)

• javiwa
    4 years ago

...proper way to prune them is to cut out branches at the center, never the outside or tips. Ooops. :/ :) In order to get the height eventually, buttoni, I guess I should just gradually cut the lower limbs? Thanks so much for the reassurance and advice!

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

Well, if you're wanting to achieve a "standard" shaped tree, I suppose you'd HAVE to cut outer branches, pretty much all of them, as they all shoot out from the central hub at ground level. I just know this lady told Dad that would alter the desired shape (umbrella, round clump). Here's what mine looked like when left to their own devices: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=images+of+durantas&fr=yhs-att-att_001&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.public.asu.edu%2F%7Ecamartin%2Fplants%2FPlant%2520html%2520files%2FDuranta%2520erecta.JPG#id=45&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jardinosa.com.mx%2Ffotos%2FDuranta%2520jardin.JPG&action=click As you can see, the central branches go up (for awhile) and then, when they get long and heavy, they fall over, umbrella like. But it sounds like you're wanting to experiment with forcing a standard, single trunk tree.

My experience with them is they put tons of branches out at ground level from the central hub and singling out just one would weaken the plant overall. You see, this thing is not like crepe myrtle, where if all/most other branches are cut off, the 1-4 you leave will get thicker and harder wood. Duranta goes to hardwood, but I don't think in the 8 years I lived with my 2 did a single branch get much bigger than say 1/2". Yet the total plant size got to 5-6' and about 7' wide. So I really don't think trunks (even 1/2") will ever support the weight of the top of a standard shape.

I was shocked a nursery was trying to market the one in your photo that way, But hey, who am I to say it can't be done. I've seen nurseries to orange cape honeysuckle on a sturdy pole that way..........but that is counter to its natural vine-like growth tendencies. And I just stumbled on thie photo: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=images+of+durantas&fr=yhs-att-att_001&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.public.asu.edu%2F%7Ecamartin%2Fplants%2FPlant%2520html%2520files%2FDuranta%2520erecta.JPG#id=72&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Funitednursery.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2FDuranta-tree-main.jpg&action=click, so cutting off all outer branches for awhile, and then once youve got it down to the 1-4 you want, then cut all lower branches off of those. But those central ones will lHAVE to be staked with a sturdy support to tie the 1 or few central trunks you decide to keep going upright. The branches grow so fast, you'll have to cut/stake for desired shape regularly, as once they go to hardwood on the lower half of the limbs, they will NOT be coaxed from their desired direction IMHO.

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

One added note. These things always died back to the ground in winter freezes for me. Once all leaves dropped, I'd cut them all off to the central hub about 6-10" tall, since my goal WAS to maintain its natural clumping/umbrella shape at the entrance of my driveway. When they come back in the spring (and they always will), bunches of new branches will come out at the ground, so you then would have to start the whole branch/selection to keep, pruning, cutting, shaping on your stake each year. And no matter what anybody says, mature limbs CO have thorns, so handling is not fun. But you might be able to maintain whatever standard shape you are able to achieve "in general", but new shoots/branches WILL come back at center ground hub every year. Therefore it would be an ongoing maintenance issue every year to keep that shape.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the information and pics, buttoni! Silly me, but I presumed if the nursery sold/started these as trees, I'd at least be able to continue the shape. You mentioned new growth starts from the center & ground level -- very much like a Tecoma stans Esperanza, then, correct? (At least that's what I'm envisioning.) Oddly, when the duranta woke up this spring, all the new growth was from the top, and there was no new growth from the bottom at all. Maybe I got lucky? Regardless, I certainly don't want to force anything...will just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

Perhaps this white-edged strain in then truly different in its growth habits than my all purple bloomed variety. Perhaps you can keep this skyward shape up from year to year. I wouldn't thing different species would vary in growth habit that much, but they may. I'll look forwad to your periodic updates on your venture to to it in standard/tree shape. :)

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

I was heartened yesterday down at our cabin to see my new Duranta (like yours Javiwa) was not stressed from lack of water. Don't think Gause has had any rain lately and I haven't watered it in 10 days. It had grown 1 ft taller (all branches). It's right in the middle of the front yard, so I can't wait for it to get full clump size. Should be gorgeous. If it tolerates such infrequent waterings in such hot temps, I may have to plant a couple more of these down there.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

If you happen to have any pics, I'd love to see what they look like as large plants 'not' trained as trees. Would save me a lot of needless worry and work if I have space to let it go. One will be in the front yard, so I may have the HOA to contend with. :)

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

I wasn't into taking many photos at my last house. But when this new one gets big enough to start taking on that clump/umbrella shape I WILL post a photo of the one at the cabin for you. I did see on Google photos 2-3 pruned up like trees. But as I said previously, it will be hard work to do that I would think. New branches tend to come mostly out at the ground, not so many from the center the plant hub. The branches aren't long enough yet. They don't begin to ubrella downward until the branches get about 4-5' long. Mine looks lie this right now, with most branches going straight up or nearly so (only lowest ones are horizontal): https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;ylt=AwrCwOKNQ0dd.hMAxQYPxQt.;ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=duranta&fr=yhs-att-att001&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att001#id=296&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plantvine.com%2Fplants%2Fduranta-erecta-1.jpg&action=click. That shape may not develop in 1 season, so that may not happen until next spring or summer, as it has been so many years since I planted those two at the last house, I don't remember how long exactly that took. This is pretty much the look mine had when they reached full 6'x6' clumps: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;ylt=AwrCwOKNQ0dd.hMAxQYPxQt.;ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=duranta&fr=yhs-att-att001&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att001#id=115&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F13%2Fb8%2F3d%2F13b83d3f35c7e48c4fea0b05ac48dd9d.jpg&action=click. Bear in mind I only pruned out center branches to lower overall height when the view backing out of our driveway was blocked, so I could keep the tops at about 4'. They flanked the street end of my driveway.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Thanks, buttoni, but I'm having a difficult time finding any images in your posted links (in green). When I copy/paste the first one, I get to the Plantvine site, then had to search for duranta. Yup, that's what my little tree looks like. I'll just plant it and let IT guide ME: no use fighting its genetic instincts!

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

Well, I edited to re-do the links and Houzz is botching them up. I copy/pasted off Google Images as I have done for eons, they look to be totally highlighted on my preview, then when I hit submit, Houzz unhighlights half the link! Sorry. Houzz acts wonky on Sundays for me often, so maybe thats the day they do site maintenance. Done links this way from Google images a bazillion times with no issues. So I give up. I'll post a photo when I have one of my new plant when it's big enough.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Don't waste too much time on this, buttoni. TY. I can go Google 'duranta tree' or 'duranta mature' and see what hits I get.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Wow, check out this one -- they're calling it Geisha Girl here.

Getting a plant to cooperate is another matter entirely.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Whoa....

• tjayars1
    4 years ago

Second picure is society garlic, Third is buddlia Miss molly, fourth is either midnight magic or catawba I have both and cant remember which is thise one.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked tjayars1
  • buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

Yes, those tree-form Duranta's are spectacular, Javiwa! Probably a lot of work, but clearly well worth it!

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

I love your violet crepe myrtle, Tjayers. Do you know the particular name of the strain?

• tjayars1
    4 years ago

Sorry I've planted so many crepe myrtles I have not kept track. I made a quick post at knew it was something magic or catawba. A quick seatch shows purple magic. Here is the other one although for some reason the light filter makes it look more pick than it really is.

Here are more in the front yard:

The one closest is tonto.

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

Thank you, tjayers1. I just bought a Catawba purple one myself! Got it a couple days ago. 3' tall and very healthy already pushing out new leaves but of course, no blooms yet. It was pictured on the website quite a bit darker than the one in your top photo, but a true purple like this one: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=images+of+Catawba+crepe+myrtles&fr=yhs-att-att_001&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crapemyrtle.com%2Fuploads%2F2%2F7%2F8%2F1%2F27814181%2Fs571206031129726741_p2_i3_w300.jpeg#id=8&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crapemyrtle.com%2Fuploads%2F2%2F7%2F8%2F1%2F27814181%2Fs571206031129726741_p2_i3_w300.jpeg&action=click

It is going down at our cabin getaway in Gause. Too many are already planted in this yard in Temple. :)

• memetexas
    4 years ago

Re: Duranta, mine are both 15 feet tall and about 5 feet wide. I love them blooming all summer long and hope it doesn't freeze in the winter because it is a lot to deal with, cutting it to the ground. We've had to do it three times.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

meme: Would you mind posting a pic of your durantas? Would love to see them!

• memetexas
    4 years ago

Yes, I need to empty my camera first but I'll get a pic for you.

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

My new baby duranta down at the cabin has started to put on a couple blooms and is about 3' tall. It's going a full 10 days between waterings OK, too, which is good for the incessant heat we are having. I'm so pleased I think it will make it and do well in the center of the front yard there. :) I'll post a pic when it gets a little bigger.

• memetexas
    4 years ago

Here is a 6'+ Duranta which completely screens the street. There is another one to the right side of the pic about 4 feet way but it's hard to see but all of the limbs do grow from the base. I pull up runners that create new plants and put some of them in pots, if they have roots.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked memetexas
  • javiwa
    4 years ago

Thanks for posting the pic, memetexas. Now I see exactly what buttoni referred to as branching out from a hub at ground level. Mine were trained as trees, and I'm hoping if I keep pinching off new growth at the trunk and pruning back lower branches to slowly raise the canopy, perhaps mine will keep their tree-like shape. That may be easier said than done, I realize.

• memetexas
    4 years ago

You are welcome Javiwa.

What area are you in?

The natural shape comes back after a freeze when it has to be cut down to ground level. I have waited to cut it in the spring to see if it would come back from the bare stems and for me, it would not, no sign of life at all until we cut it down and then it begins growing like you see in the pic.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

I'm ~ 20 minutes SW of downtown Houston.

• memetexas
    4 years ago

Ok, so you're in my area which means yours will freeze many years.

Mine did not freeze last winter thank goodness because it is a lot of work to cut down to the ground especially when they reach 6 feet tall.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

OK, really...what on earth is going on here! :) This 3-gallon potted duranta really, really wants to be a tree, I think. It currently tops 6' tall -- no effort from me at all.

• memetexas
    4 years ago

Mine would look like that and are that tall or taller, if I would only cut off the other 6-8 trunks all around it. That's one has been carefully pruned.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Sorry, I didn't my point across very well as what's pictured does like a well pruned specimen. Actually, when I purchased this plant six weeks ago, and for about a month afterward, it was no taller than where the red line runs across:

That shoot above the red line has grown just these past 2-3 weeks. I'll take it, however!

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

Went down to the cabin this morning and my Duranta is still alive. It was very thirsty, with limp leaves but will perk up by day's end with the 2-3 gallons of water I poured on it. It's about 3½' tall now (grown about 5-6" since my last trip down), so I think it likes the sandy soil down there. Didn't have any blooms on it, so clearly it's stressed in our recent heat wave. I hope September cools down a bit and then I think this plant will start looking nicer (until our first freeze, that is).

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Shhhhhh...don't let your duranta know all of mine get watered every day in this heat. :)

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

My Duranta has greatly improved this week, using a soaker hose on it made all the difference. We'll be using that hose from now on when we leave to come back to Temple. I was certain it might be dead today, as it looked like it was a goner 10 days ago. Now, it's perked up, about 4' tall and even setting a new bloom raceme. Pardon the grass (and weeds) as the hubs had just barely begun mowing today when I snapped these pics.

• junegreen
    4 years ago

I tried to start a new post but it disappeared so I am going to tag on here to see if I get a response, is anyone else having serious doubts about having many brugmansia blooms this year. I’m not seeing much of anything going on with mine. It has been so hot all September here in the DFW area that I fear we won’t have time to get any blooms.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked junegreen
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry your post disappeared. I've only had that happen once.

I don't have brugs anymore, but have noticed that lots of things did not bloom anywhere near as well as usual this year, for instance canna lilies, blue plumbago, and phlox. Is it the the heat? The two months without rain, although I watered? The sudden cold snap in late Jan. when all was still green? Too much rain last winter?

Has this been the experience of anyone else?

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

My bougainvilleas didn't bloom as well this year, despite daily watering.

• Vulture61
    4 years ago

buttoni, make sure you fertilize them frequently.

Omar

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

I'm starting to do it every two weeks, Omar,with acid-loving fert. I think that's my problem.

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

My Duranta is loving the soaker hose in between visits to the cabin. It's not heat/drought "stressed" anymore and setting blooms with more visible to come. :) I will fertilize it lightly next trip down.

It's a little over 4' tall now so I think it's comfy in it's location finally. Not much real grass down there, just a myriad of weeds really. We mow the weedy yard and call it the "lawn", but don't plan to fuss with it much. At our age, we're just going with whatever is there.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked buttoni_8b
  • buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

Drove down to the cabin today and my Duranta is putting on side branches on the main trunks as well as more blooms. I was pleased to see those two developments. That means it likes the soil just fine, provided it gets enough water. I also planted two Delaware Valley (white) azaleas at the end of the front porch. Transplanted two climbing roses along the fence as well: Fourth of July and Dr. Huey, both I will train horizontally onto the fence. I've seen photos of both of those roses trained onto chain-link fence recently and they do quite nicely on fences with a few soft tie downs to keep the long branches horizontal. I use strips of old pantyhose to tie plants down. It stretches as they grow and never cuts into the skin/bark. Here in Temple, the Dr. Huey was planted in the middle of an area I was transforming into a potting station; the Fourth of July was planted in total shade and rarely blooming without sunlight. Now they are planted in full sun and should live happily ever after. :) I'll be sure to post photos when they are fully leaved out again and blooming.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked buttoni_8b