Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanna_strickland58

Pocket Door Problems

Joanna Tolson
4 years ago

My contractor installed these pocket doors. They are not level and they attached a piece of wood to the door to keep them from going all the way into the wall. I have looked at lost of pictures and have never seen this done. Are my doors ruined?

Comments (15)

• tatts
    4 years ago

Pocket doors are a cr*p solution to be used only as a last resort. It looks as though you could easily have a normal door in that location. Why did you use a pocket door?

You door isn't ruined, but that is a real shoemaker's job. Just look at the gap at the bottom of that door! Those 5 brad nails are going to come loose quickly from hitting the frame each time the door is opened. To be done properly, there should be a block in the wall in the door's frame, with a rubber bumper on it.

Hack job.

• how2girl
    4 years ago

Pocket doors are a great solution in small rooms, allowing the area on each side of the door to become useable space. There should be a stop, which isn’t visible, at the top of the track. The blocks are definitely a poor & ugly solution.

• flyr4fun
    4 years ago

Terrible millwork. The miters in the corners of the door casing don't even line up. How is that door even opening with the vanity electrical outlet right there? Is the door hitting the wiring inside the wall? You might be able to patch and reuse the door if the installation is redone correctly and they haven't hacked the door. Not good work at all.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Plus notice with the door closed the stiles are not the same width?

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Looks like an unqualified person attempted to install this door.

• Joanna Tolson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So the tracks were built in after the electrical. There is a scratch from vanity being installed and the doors were removed (because they were first installed upside down) the screw was cut and reinstalled. I asked for them to be lowered because there is a 2 inch gap. Which hasn’t been done. They cut them (height wise) to get them in. I am just disappointed.

• Cyndy
    4 years ago

your contractor is a hack. have you paid him?

• chispa
    4 years ago

The person or people doing this work have no ability or no shame.

My previous house had great pocket doors. Two sets of double french pocket doors and a single pocket door. They looked great, provided great function when the spaces needed to be closed off, but disappeared when you wanted the spaces opened up. They also worked great and were about 12 years old when we bought the house.

• njay
    4 years ago

If you still owe him money, you might get him to come back. I seriously doubt, however, that he could improve upon the situation. If it were me, I wouldn't want that person touching anything in my house.

You may have to live with doors until you can afford someone to do the job right.

• Paul F.
    4 years ago

The track is too deep in the top of the frame so the door is too high... that can be solved. The stop at the top looks temporary and can be solved with a metal bracket. However the frame of the door is 5" on one side and and 3" on the right when closed (it shouldn't be) and the pull/ lock on the door is way below standard height. Someone appears to not know what they are doing.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

The stop goes on the edge of the door that is in the pocket. This way it is always hidden. Open up the drywall somewhere and add the bumper to the door. The track can also be leveled by adjusting the screws that hold the track to the frame. This will also involve cutting drywall...

• HU-751303361
    3 years ago

They’re backwards!

• HU-751303361
    3 years ago

You can’t do a pocket door there because there’s electrical boxes on both sides of the opening.

• L A
    3 years ago

That certainly can't be the finished product. unacceptable on many levels.