Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_944186815

Questions about staircase remodel

AJCN
4 years ago

Just starting to make decisions about the staircase. Currently it's all carpeted. We need to replace the carpet in all of upstairs and this would include the staircase. DH doesn't like having wall-to-wall carpet on the staircase so wants to look at other ideas. What are the options?

Wood treads: wouldn't these be slippery? If we decide on wood treads, can we see how it goes and decide later if we want to add a runner? If wood treads, white risers or stained risers?

Runner over wood treads: isn't that a waste to cover up expensive wood treads with a carpet runner? Does the runner damage the finish or put holes in the wood tread underneath, in case we, or a future owner wants to remove the runner?

Wood on the both sides with carpet in the middle? Does this look nice?

Carpet on stairs but wood on the landings? It's a wierd stair case that is split on the bottom, then there are 2 landings where it comes together, and then goes the rest of the way up to a top landing. Wood on the top landing and then change to carpet for the bedrooms?

I'm looking at HOUZZ pictures and IMO the wooden staircases look the nicest with or without runners.

Here's my staircase:

Comments (15)

• C Marlin
    4 years ago

I'd keep the carpet only in the middle but add wood on both sides. You can have wood on the landings if you want.

AJCN thanked C Marlin
  • AJCN
    Original Author
    4 years ago

GD,

I already know it will be expensive if we do anything other than a straight replacement of carpet. But thank you for pointing that out in case there are any other readers here who might wrongly think this is a cheap update.

• AJCN
    Original Author
    4 years ago

C Martin, thank you. I'll talk to the contractor about that. Here is a wooden top landing in a HOUZZ picture, and then they transition to carpet for the bedrooms.

Here is a picture of the middle landings with wood:

In this picture, it looks like the carpet is not a runner over wood treads, but is set in between the side wood pieces. This looks nice to me. Do you think this kind of idea would work on my staircase?

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Inserting carpet is twice the work, with two different installers. You have open stringer stairs, so you will already be rebuilding more than half the stairs to do wooden treads correctly. All the existing treads and railings have to come out. You might as well get your money’s worth out of that effort and have it all be wood. .

AJCN thanked GreenDesigns
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

Wood with wood or painted risers looks the best IMO. Carpet winds up looking worn and dirty and matted. I run up and down my wood stairs all day long and don't find them slippery.

AJCN thanked cpartist
  • nini804
    4 years ago

We have wood stairs and they aren’t particularly slippery. I agree that carpet can start to look ratty on stairs. Our risers are painted.

AJCN thanked nini804
  • PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    4 years ago

I'm not sure where the impression comes from that wood treads are slippery. Carpet installers maybe?

It's not my experience at all.

AJCN thanked Johnson Flooring Co Inc
  • AJCN
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all this information. I’ll be meeting with the contractor soon.

• AJCN
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Question: what organization or publication can I look at to get familiar with the building rules for staircases? For example I read the TCNA handbook regarding my shower, but I don't know where to go for a staircase.

• AJCN
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I went onto nahb and icc but I'm just a homeowner so I don't know where to look.

• Oliviag
    4 years ago

looks to me that there are wood treads beneath all that carpet... Rip it off, and see how it works for you.
    Wear shoes, slippers, or nubby socks on wood treads. I have not slipped on ours. But, I vuse at least one handrail, too.

AJCN thanked Oliviag
  • Oliviag
    4 years ago

personally, I don't love carpet on stairs.

AJCN thanked Oliviag
  • AJCN
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry to say, there are no nice wood treads under there. We saw the underneath when we replaced the carpet at move-in many years ago.

Does anyone have a link to building standards for stairs?

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    4 years ago

Where I live, stair dimensions are dictated by state codes. Here's an article addressing general rules: https://www.hunker.com/13402630/florida-building-codes-for-residential-stairs

AJCN thanked Johnson Flooring Co Inc