Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelley_varouh

House exterior paint color help PLEASE!

Shelley Varouh
4 years ago

I would like to freshen up the exterior of my home and lighten up the exterior. The front is stucco and the sides and back are siding. The sides and back are the color very similar to the garage door color and shutters. 1) Should I paint the front that light beige color ( match the siding) and 2) any way I can incorporate grays into the scheme? I think my roof shingles going to throw me off.

3) DoI have to stick with only the brown tones?

Thank You for any help offered!

Comments (10)

• Shelley Varouh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Yes hubby says I can get new door and those rod iron gate things are coming off.

• chloebud
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A light tan/beige color that ties in with the stone would work and also look good with the roof color. Your current beige looks a bit yellow on my screen. Gray would be a challenge since the roof and stone are both warm shades. Remove those "hats" above the windows. Sorry, not sure what to cal them. I agree with changing the front door. Also, a garage door with windows across the top would be nice.

ETA - Whatever color you choose for the siding, make sure to paint the garage door the same color. Your downspouts should also match the siding.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I agree with painting the same color as the siding. A stained wood door would be very pretty with a lighter color on the stucco. Getting rid of the wrought iron is a good idea as well as painting the stucco pieces over the windows the same color as the trim. Once everything is painted, consider leaving off the shutters altogether, or at least the ones on the larger upper window as they are too small for the windows as they are and you don't really have room for larger shutters. Don't forget to paint the downspouts the same color as the body of the house. If it's possible, I think a color 3 or 4 shades darker than the house body would look great on the trim.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

While removing the wrought iron, pull out those three shrubs, and install something lower and more airy and maintenance free. Who advised that stone around your tree? Doesn't look like a health promoting mulch to me. Rock will bury itself in the ground, despite any fabric under it. Believe me, it is a mess to remove, so I would do it sooner rather than later. Unify the mulch around your plants and trees. Cypress mulch is the most healthy type, has a nice start-up color and ages well too.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Did not even notice the shutters on the upper window kat mentioned. Agree they need to go. That window is much too wide for them.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Poor tree. Please remove that stone. Didn’t even notice it until deco said something. As above: remove those “thingies” above the windows, change door, remove shutters on top and the wrought iron. Paint the house all the same color. Fronts and backs and sides should not be different colors. Once you have a cohesive house color, you can go with a fun-colored door or a beautiful wood one. If the garage door is not on the schedule for upgrade, you can add faux windows in the meantime.

Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams can color match your siding. When choosing a door, avoid that “Victorian” look.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I like Grovers second pic w/the darker door and shutters. I would like a lighter body color though.

maybe a new garage door??

Try a wood door like this: (not to scale!)

I'd do a much lighter main body color. similar to your current garage door shutter colors. Then I'd do darker on the shutters and trim.

Remove the 'crown' things form the windows. I'd also remove all of the wrought iron railing. Trim the hedges.

some other color combos if your roof is more reddish brown.

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

As usual, I like Grover’s renderings, especially the second one. Now, on to the landscaping....

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21