Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quanghoc

Is attached shed frown upon by future buyers?

Hawk Phil
4 years ago

Our backyard is small so it’s most convenience to build a shed that attached to the backside of the house. Then we can just walk from the deck right into it without passing a dirt area.

Question: Assume the attached shed is well built, is it a good idea for resale value? I am just wondering if it’s something of a “hack” and nay raise structure, rot or pest questions from future sale of the house.

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

I think if it’s well designed it could work. Covered in lattice work, siding so it matches the house, something like that. I had one built into the end of my porch that looked like a wall of shutters.

Hawk Phil thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

We have one that was built by a previous owner on half of a bottom concrete porch. The ceiling is concrete of the floor of the sun room above. The walls are the same brick as the house. So it looks like it is part of the house. Very convenient and easy to get to in the winter. It's not going to increase the value of your house, but it also not going to decrease the value either.

Hawk Phil thanked functionthenlook
  • Hawk Phil
    Original Author
    4 years ago

When you buy a house with attached shed, was it a part of the home inspection?

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    4 years ago

Have you considered cost? I'd think that something "attached" with appropriate matching siding, etc. would cost more than a simple "garden shed." Adding to the cost of an attached structure would be permits, inspections, and may not even be allowed. In some areas, "garden sheds" don't require permits, etc. as they are not permanent, don't have foundations, wiring, plumbing, etc.

Hawk Phil thanked exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I think we would need to see the house and the shed design and where it is in relation to the rest of the yard.

Hawk Phil thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Hawk Phil
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Attached is the backyard and the red rectangle is the planned attached shed. Good / bad idea?

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    4 years ago

I think it would be fine and won't adversely affect resale value. You can just extend the sloping roof down over the shed if it's not too deep (i.e. probably not more than 4 feet or so). I would definitely pull a permit though.

Hawk Phil thanked RappArchitecture
  • krnuttle
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

What will be blocked when you are sitting on the deck and look in the direction of the shed?

If it is the blank wall of a shed will not be aesthetically pleasing view from the deck.

I think a remote shed out along the fence screened by plantings would be a better addition to the yard in general. It could be done without the fuss of building permits (if no plumbing or electricity) and other similar concerns.

Hawk Phil thanked krnuttle
  • Hawk Phil
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@krnuttle - You raised some very good points and I just started thinking about the view. If it is at the back siding, from the deck, it will block the backyard entry gate to view outside the street.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

I know my house is different from yours, but maybe the pics might help . It looks like you could match your siding easily so the shed would look like it is part of the house. Now as far as permits you would have to ask your municipality if you are allowed to attach it to your house. Ours was here when we moved in. I keep seasonal items in their and it is so nice in the winter not having to cut through the lawn to get out the Christmas stuff. Is the view of the street a pleasant thing?

Hawk Phil thanked functionthenlook