cmcole01

What color should I paint my dining room?

cmcole01

I need to repaint my dining room & really don’t know what direction to go. Any thoughts? All the furniture in pics will stay (except 2 white chairs) and the 2 wall hangings will go. I do want to hang the piece of art attached in pics. Room connects to kitchen which is currently a blue/green color & hallway is a cream color. Living room is Edgecomb Gray. Please help me decide!

• celerygirl

or bottom part

What color should I paint my dining room walls?

HI -- Just keep in mind that if you put green on the walls that will make the pink show more . Maybe go into the blues or the creams or greys . Get some wall color sample cards and try them in the room to see how the colors look through the day and evening. Benjamin Moore Paints can help you with that and can also provde a color consult to head you in the right direction.

Should I paint one wall in my living room and dining room a darker acc

Your room looks fine to me with just one color on the walls. I like an accent color from time to time. I have one in my own house and only did it recently. Where I did it was in our guest room, at the end of a hallway. I wanted to see a strong color from the hallway, so that room got one wall in a strong color. But I wanted the room, with only one large window, to look light overall. So one accent wall, three white walls. Each case is different. I find them particularly useful in tween and teen rooms where the occupant might want a change every couple of years. If all walls except one are a soft or neutral color, the accent wall is not so hard to repaint on a weekend. BTW, I am concerned about your dining room fixture which seems to have strayed somewhat.

Would you be interested in going a darker taupe? Considering a formal dining room is generally used in the evenings the warm dark colour will be cosier than a cooler colour (I suppose this also depends on the space you have in your dining room though).

I don't know how to upload pics:( I really like Benjamin Moore's Guliford green but I don't know what would be a good trim color. I have chair railing and would like to paint the top half the green and bottom color a cream or I am open for suggestions. Thanks!
  • ShadyWillowFarm

Without windows the darker blues are too dark, and only painting the lower wall looks very 80’s. Love Jennifer’s color - because you can see so much of the blue rug in the hallway, a coordinating blue would look best. Nice room, pretty furnishings, and go big with the art since you have so much wall space.

• KK1000

Darker blue/ grey walls and paint over the chair rail as well for a different look.

• pink_peony

Cmcole thanks for sharing more detail. Your room doesn’t look overly big and it sounds like in comparison to all the other colors in your home it probably feels a bit dark for you. Your current colors as mentioned by you are the following

photos · More Info

This is a very pretty pallet and a fresh one. I’m guessing your ceiling height isn’t overly high based on your photos and your room isn’t formal based on your furniture. I would paint the entirety of the walls including the chair rail all one color. If all the assumptions i am making are true the last thing this room needs is to be chopped up visually with a two toned wall or a chair rail to divide it up which will make the room feel Even less expansive. If you love the edgecomb gray i wouldn’t hesitate to use it in this space. Or go with one of the blues you mentioned. But beyond those four colors with the exception of the white dove you’re painting your trim i wouldn’t keep adding more colors to your space with paint or it’s going to make your home feel choppy. So let’s paint one of these colors. would anchor the table with a rug

Studio Seven Evoke Rug, Light Blue/Light Blue, 8'x10' · More Info

Laurel Area Rug, Light Gray, 7'10" x 10' · More Info

I would add some panels to the window

Robin's Egg Blackout FauxSilk Taffeta Curtain Single Panel, 50"x120" · More Info

French Linen Curtain Single Panel, Ancient Ivory, 50"x96" · More Info

in place of blinds i would consider a woven shade of roman shade

Window Treatments · More Info

Window Treatments · More Info

I would also eventually consider changing out the chairs for something lighter

Townsend Belgian Linen Upholstered Skirted Dining Chair · More Info

New Build · More Info

And a airier chandelier would be nice

Gabby Sonya 4-Light White and Silver Chandelier · More Info

Layla 6 Light Chandelier in Antique Silver · More Info

Frame your piece and do a very wide matting on it

photos · More Info

photos · More Info

And not that you asked but your front door (I’m assuming) is very charming. I would paint the interior if it the deepest shade of your blues which is Wythe. It would really add a great pop and bring out the character of the door.

• cmcole01

Wow @Pink_Peony thanks for all of your thoughts and pulling together the colors like that. They do look pretty all pulled together. I really like your ideas and will think about it a bit ore tonight and comment more tmrw. I’m curious what others think. Thanks again.

• Irene Morresey

Wallpaper could look lovely, grasscloth.

• Nai Q

CREAME definitely a cream! Lighten the space up which will make the walls look
    more expansive and will accommodate for the larger pieces of furniture! Plus it is in the same color palette as the green (as I can see in the photos) and it will keep the colors in your home in a constant flow! Love it

• hollybar

Saw this and thought of your room. Adding some moldings beneath rail is not hard to do and definitely suits your traditional furniture. The deeper tone on the top half here is what makes this room and the furniture come to life. (and the rug is definitely pulling its weight)

• cmcole01

Hi all - so I’ve been thinking about the comments you all have given and realize it does make sense to stick with my current color scheme rather than adding in new unrelated colors.
    So I did a very rough mock-up using the BM website using Wythe blue that I have in another room on my first floor (and is close in color to current kitchen color). I love this color and think it could work in my DR (of course I’ll have to test it out with the lighting). What do u think? Attached are options with chair rail & with white bottom (which would only be something we would do if we add wainscoting). I did mock ups without chair rail but pics are terrible.
    Let me know what u think!

• pink_peony

It’s looks soothing. Wyeth blue is a beautiful color.

• Jennifer Hogan

Love it! I woulld leave just the white rail, doesn't need wainscoting

• emmarene9

It looks good.

• calidesign

Great choice. It's a beautiful color that look good in the daytime and also with low light in the evening.

• shirlpp

Does the other room painted in Wyeth blue have the same color furniture. Sorry, but I'm not liking Wyeth blue with your dining room furniture.

• cmcole01

Thanks to those who commented. I am still struggling with what direction to go. I’ve mocked up 2 more colors - Stratton Blue (which is similar to wythe blue but a bit darker/deeper), and revere pewter (same family as edgecomb gray in LR but a bit darker). Thoughts?

Also as I’m going through this process I’m now realizing I need to break up the dining room set a bit. Maybe switching the chairs. Definitely a table runner and rug. These will come later but I appreciate the input now.

• gtcircus

How about loosing the chair rail and wallpapering?

• Jennifer Hogan

I would most likely go with the Wyath Blue. It lightened and brightened the space. Stratton would be my second choice, but it feels a bit too dark/strong.

Would still love to know what color is in the kitchen.

I absolutly wouldn't use the Revere Pewter. You already have 2 neutrals. This is just another noncommittal color stuck in the mix. Revere Pewter is used a lot because it is a very muddy neutral - not blue, not tan, not gray not anything (actually has a slight khaki green undertone). But because it is so muddy it may appear dirty next to the more clean creamy color in your entry. Your other khaki had enough strength to hold its own against the cream.

• cmcole01

Thanks Jennifer. My kitchen is close in color to Palladian blue (a blue green color (lighter thank withers blue). I think I posted a photo earlier showing view from kitchen to dining room where you can see the color a bit. I attached again.

I appreciate the thoughts on Revere pewter. I definitely wouldn’t have decided without getting a sample first. I had considered it for living room but it looked terrible. That’s how I ended up with the Edgecomb Gray (Which I love in there but don’t think it works in DR).

• Jennifer Hogan

Revere Pewter has its place, but it is often oversold as the "Perfect Neutral".

Michaels sells 140 lb watercolor paper in larger sizes. Get at least an 11x14 pad.

https://www.michaels.com/canson-xl-watercolor-pad/M10145805.html?dwvar_M10145805_size=12%22%20x%2018%22

Buy a couple of samples in the Wythe and Stratton blue and test them by painting on the watercolor paper. Take the samples into the rooms with the Palladian and Wythe blues and see how much lighter/darker the color feels in those rooms. Then take them back to you dining room.

you can use some of the unused sheets to create a white space to view the colors. Put them on different walls at different times of the day to see how it will look in your room.

I would also change the light shade to a white. All you need for the dining room table is a beautiful centerpiece that has a bit of color. I would also add a new rug to the foyer and one in the dining room.

• Jennifer Hogan

Poster board warps and gets ugly and foamcore is expensive and so smooth that it doesn't feel like your wall. The watercolor paper is a really nice test material. If it warps at all you can cover it with parchment paper and iron it. You can also keep these samples in a notebook to take with you when shopping for furniture and accessories.

• hollybar

Check out https://samplize.com/ Have you decided on whether or not the chair rail is going or if the color will extend floor to ceiling? From the pics,I prefer Stratton. One other thought I had was to check out BM-Hemlock, which is a colour BM recs as a complement to Edgecomb Gray.

• shirlpp

It looks so much better with the Stratton blue.

• Not a Pro

following

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

I'm going to dissent here and suggest you paint the room a much warmer color. It doesn't have much natural light, and any blue or gray makes the room look gloomy. My dining room was wallpapered in a beautiful blue for quite a few years, and because it was a northeast exposure, with an overhang on the east side, never looked warm and inviting. I've since painted the entire room, walls and trim, in BM Linen White, which is a very warm white, and the whole room has come alive. I know the trend these days is toward the moody blues and greens, but they just don't work in a dark room, especially with dark wood furniture, JMHO.

• cmcole01

Thank you Diana - I appreciate your comment and that is exactly why I’m hesitating. That is my worry with the blue/green colors, although I love the color. I do really like the idea of a warmer color but have been struggling with what color to choose. I’ve been thinking that I’m limited in colors to complement the colors of rest of the house.

Are you suggesting a warm white for this room? Any other suggestions? I do love the use of darker colors (especially with wainscoting) in Dining rooms & actually don’t hate the use of dark color in the room now, even with the limited windows. I just think I could find a nicer color.
    I’m really having a hard time finding a direction here.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Here's a great post from Laurel Bern's blog about what color to paint in a north facing/dark room:

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2019/01/08/north-facing-room-paint-color/

And as she states, the wall color is only one aspect of a room, and you need to take everything into consideration (architecture, furniture, rugs, curtains, lighting, accessories, etc.) when decorating.

• shirlpp

You mocked up the other colors, why not take the advice and mock up BM Linen White.

• hollybar

OP,what shades do you find "warm". Is your Edgecombe Gray warm or neutral? Is the cream colour in your entry warm?

• cmcole01

Thanks all - so one thing I want to make clear is that this room is not necessarily dark. It is south facing so it gets natural sunlight during the day - it’s just that there is only the one window. Also after work I will mock up the room with the white suggested and try to take another picture so you can see with the sunlight.

• cmcole01

Ok so I confirmed my room faces SW. I’ve uploaded pics from about 5pm this evening with no lights on. This gives an idea of evening light. I’ve also uploaded a mock-up using Linen White. Thoughts?

• Jennifer Hogan

Dining Room the same color as the Foyer

Dining Room in Wythe Blue

Dining Room in Edgecomb Gray

Having two neutrals and two blue greens with the white trim I would be careful about bringing another wall color into the mix. You can add smokey purples, forest greens, navy blues, deep orange reds as accents - art, vases, things.

• katinparadise

following

• calidesign

I think the linen white could look fine as long as you add color (especially blues) in either a rug, artwork, or both. It also makes your blue/white dishes stand out.

• shirlpp

I also think the linen white could work. I understand what Jennifer Hogan is saying about the mass of colors.

• cmcole01

Thanks all - I decided to mock up one of the daytime pics with the 2 blues. I think both look better in the natural light. First 2 pics are Stratton blue. 3 & 4 are Wythe blue. Thoughts?

• shirlpp

Paint the walls all one color - w/o the white on the bottom.

• Jennifer Hogan

At this point I would do large samples of each color on 140 lb watercolor paper and hang them in the room and live with them for a couple of days. One will feel right.

• calidesign

I like the lighter blue. I would paint the entire wall blue, including the chair rail, or use blue on the bottom and linen white on the top. The lighter color on the bottom looks unbalanced.

• skunst2017

Same as hallway ...or just one tone darker ..and keep the trim white or as is . Lovely dining room .. ,!

• felizlady

The chair rail is absolutely appropriate with your traditional furniture. If the room feels dark, use a much lighter paint color. Add light window treatments which do not block light from coming through the shades. Art on the walls will bring in color and visual interest. You could change the seat covers if you like.

• cmcole01

I painted samples of both Wythe Blue & Stratton blue and posted up in the dining room. I quickly determined that the Stratton Blue was really not a good fit so I’m back to considering Wythe Blue. What do you think? These pics are taken at different times of the day. I’d love to hear your opinions on this color.

• Jennifer Hogan

I think you will be very happy with Wythe blue. It works well as a backdrop for your furnture and will give this room the life you were looking for.

Can't wait to see the whole room painted!

• RedRyder

What if you cut the Wyeth Blue 50%. It would be part of your great color theme but lightened up. I did that on a couple of ceilings in my old house and realized how nice it was. In my current kitchen/laundry/mud room area some parts are 50%. It looks great since each area has different amounts of light.
    I vote for removing the chair rail.
    BTW I’m not a pro. Just a homeowner who struggles with paint colors. I love all the ones you chose. I used all BM blues and greens in my last house.

• calidesign

That will be gorgeous!

• lizziesma

Love the Wyeth blue but then, I'm a blue kinda girl.

• cmcole01

Thanks all! I think I may go for it with the Wythe Blue with white Dove trim and I’m thinking I will keep the chair rail.

• cmcole01

Hi all - so I’ve created a new dilemma (link below) but wanted to share with all of you where I’m at since so many helped me decide. The room is painted authentic Blue & looks really great. Now we need help with lighting, rug, windows, art, and if/what should replace the wine cabinet in the corner. I’d love another piece of furniture (that isn’t so matchy matchy with dining set). Preferably to hold wine glasses. Also I need a new rug for the hall that better compliments both rooms. Please feel free to comment on the new post or here.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5764620/please-help-me-finish-my-newly-painted-dining-room

• njmomma

following

• calidesign

I don't think a rug is necessary in the dining room. It looks like you would be walking on the edge of it to reach your kitchen, and your furniture has enough contrast between the floor. For the drapes, I would use linen color to tie in with your entry walls and light fixture, or a print that incorporates both the tan and aqua. I would try to find a patterned rug for the entryway that has deeper shades of your dining room wall color. I don't think you have room for more furniture in the dining room. Make some space for your wine glasses in the china cupboard. For the walls, I would use a large framed mirror on the wall directly across from the window to reflect the outdoors and also the chandelier. Look for one or two pieces of art that you love for the wall between the kitchen and entry.