claireplymouth

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2019 #3

claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
last year
last modified: last year

This thread is intended to give people a place to post photos and/or talk about birds, critters, wildlife, fish, whatever - topics you might not want to start a whole thread on, but are still garden-related. You can see the range of possible topics in the previous threads:

INDEX to threads 2008 to 2011

For 2012, see the links posted in
RE RE: Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2012 #7. There may be problems with some of the links. I've corrected those I can edit.

2013 threads: 
INDEX: Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013
2014 threads:
INDEX: Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014

2015 threads: Links for #1 through #10 are included in

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #11

2016 threads: Links for #1 through #9 are included in

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2016 #10

2017 threads: Links for #1 through #6 are included i

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2017 #6

2018 threads:
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2018 #1

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2018 #2

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2018 #3

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2018 #4

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2018 #5

2019 threads:

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2019 #1

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2019 #2

..............................................................................................................................................

I saw a gray fox in the yard last night, eating the bribe I put out for the raccoon.

The raccoon used to put in a great effort to climb a fence and eat the jelly out of the oriole feeder.

Video from June, 2016

This happened every day and it was a nuisance to keep refilling the jelly feeder, so I decided to put a dish of jelly under the oriole feeder so the raccoon would get its treat and hopefully leave the oriole feeder alone. The fence climbing wasn't great for the plants by the fence either.

That worked very well and the raccoon treat escalated to include jelly, cookies, and cat treats so it would have no incentive to climb the fence.

Occasionally other critters (neighbor dogs, crows, etc.) will eat the raccoon treat but mostly the raccoon gets it. At least I think so since the oriole feeder isn't bothered.

Claire