deb4372__

Our Blooming Friends/June swap “Your hobby in a box!”

Deb4372 .

*Our Blooming Friends Swap Group (OBF) was created to have a reliable, fair safe haven to swap and trade between group members. If you care to join us, we would ❤️ to have you!

*Please be a successful member of Garden Web/Houzz and have completed a trade with two or three of our members. Membership requests should be sent to Shirley (Brittneysgran)

1. Have fun! No bickering!

2. Send your swap by the posted deadline.

3. Always include a Delivery confirmation/tracking number and post it on the swap thread.

4. Please send things that you, yourself would enjoy receiving.

5. Please post after you have received your swap, and post what you have received. Pictures are always nice!

6. You will be required to replace a swap package that doesn’t make it to your partner, for any reason. Also, you will be required to replace any item that arrives broken/damaged.

7. New members for the first two swaps, will be required to send your swaps first.

This is going to be a super fun swap! Send “Your Hobby in a box”

Everyone has hobbies.. pick your favorite one, and share it! If you love growing herbs, send seeds, clearly labeled, and instructions- on how to grow them, what light they prefer, etc. send a few cute tin pots, plant markers, dried lavender bunch, garlic bulbs. Make the box special! Another example, I grow named African violets. Russian violets, mini violets, trailing violets, violets that originated from South Africa, Species violets. What will be included in my box is violet leaves, clearly labeled by name, instructions on how to grow them. A few baby plantlets! Cups to grow them in, plant markers, permanent marker to write the date on the cup.

If you love growing houseplants- share cuttings, also include a cute macrame plant hanger! Love cactus- send cactus babies, and a cute pot or two! Make it worth the postage!

Your Hobby in a box! Sign ups until the 6th. Boxes sent out by the 16th.

Have fun! And please post pics of what you receive!

Deb

• brittneysgran

Deb-Sign me up for this fun swap please!

Obsessions in the home

For me, it's not nick-nacks that I collect, but more like "old" stuff. I have 4 working old fans, 5 1920-40 toasters (some work some don't) everything from kitchen strainers to cheese graters, pyrex pans with detachable metal & glass handles, aluminum kitchen pieces by Rodney Kent. I just love old, fun stuff like these that can still be used! I have pieces nearly identical to those below. I'm at work...pics from Etsy & Ebay I do have that exact butter dish, but that set is pretty cute too....

POLL: How often do you redecorate your home?

I haven't read through all the comments yet, but I want to know what folks do with the 'stuff' that gets cast off/out. First, most cannot afford to just drop cash on new furniture, even just a piece at a time, on a whim or even on a 'schedule'. Its not just about the purchase price to me - its the strategy of buying more to get free delivery or the waiting for a few days to get it, and then - what the heck do I do with the one that works just fine that I already have and spent good money on? Donate it, probably not. Want to move it to another room? Um, lets say its a couch... Sell it? For less than half what I paid for it, nope. Chuck it? Not a chance. I understand that some folks just change up a few pops of color, pieces of wall art, or even new paint (which can make all the difference), heck - I can do that. There are major differences between refreshing, restyling, redecorating, and totally remodeling a room.

What will be the next purchase for your home?

Tomorrow I'm having a full brass leaded glass insert removed from my front door and replacing it with rain glass. In two weeks, I hope to have replaced the carpeting in my living room and dining room with new laminate which will eventually be put into 4 bedrooms and a hallway as well. On Tuesday I'll be putting down a deposit on new kitchen cabinets so that I can completely remodel my kitchen. There's a lot going on in a short period of time and I'm looking forward to every bit of it!

Please help with planters and lighting for front door

Glad to help! :) Sounds like you may be in my neck of the woods locally. Don't be too concerned with relocating the light fixture. There are ways around not being able to match paint (ie: add a climbing vine; hang another decor element/plaque etc; paint a faux 'trim' in contrasting color all-together around entire door...) lots of little 'creative' tricks. But a good painter should be able to match the stucco technique. If you need one, I have an excellent guy. In my opinion, most houses have light fixtures that are way too small for the homes. Usually that's just budget driven and that's understandable, but the right size light fixture can make such a huge difference and impact, it's one of the first things I look at when 'fixing' a home. That's awesome that you like KCFM!!! Great fun there!
  • beth_b_kodiak

Deb, I'd like to play this month. Is a medium flat rate box about the size you are thinking???

It has been a while since we swapped plants, at least for me, so plants is an exciting idea.

• Deb4372 .

Shirley, and Beth, thank you so much for joining in on the fun this month! I hosted this swap a few times for our group. It was so much fun! The boxes that were sent, were very creative! I remember getting a box filled with neat bird items! A little wooden bird house, suet blocks, and a seed bird bell!

Just for more ideas too.. if you crochet, you can send crochet hooks, yarn, a pattern, and maybe a set of potholders you made! Ideas are endless! Collect bulbs/tubers as a hobby, send your swap Pal a bunch mixed with instructions on how to grow them, and label each variety by name, so your swap Pal can look up more info on them if needed. Love to cook... send a cookbook or two, potholders, a favorite recipe or two, wooden spoons, (or your favorite kitchen tool).

I was sent an Amaryllis one year from a OBF member, her name was Nancy and she loved birds. Cedarnest I think was her name, this was several years ago. I still have that Amaryllis. It continues to bloom and grow for me, in between dormant stages. And I have Earthlydelights/Maryanne's rooster plate on my hutch, she sent me many years ago! Susie's daylillies in my landscape. Making friends is what this group has always been about.

We don't realize, but when we swap- we make memories that can last many years!

Beth, I was thinking the size of a medium flat rate box for the swap box contents. I usually never use the flat rate box though, UNLESS your sending really heavy stuff, then it's worth it. A box the same size/not flat rate, cost half to mail (with free tracking and sent by priority).

• sandlapper_rose

Deb, I'm so happy to see you are the hostess this month and your theme is great!

However, I won't be swapping this month. Lots has been going on here recently and a big part of it has been our terrible heat. I'm outdoors so much just watering plants and it seems I have gotten behind on so many things. I'm still fulfilling my Mother's Day presents that I'm making for my daughters --- looks like I'll get those out just in time for Father's Day.

You are so right about us enjoying things for years after they are sent. Some of my plants that I love came to me from swaps and I doubt I could tell you specific names at this point, but I enjoy them and think of Garden Web/Houzz and the wonderful people here and appreciate what I've received...

Jeanne

• skyblue52

Hi. I would love to join this month. Let's see what we Do In our spare (LOL) time

• smitties

I have been lingering and have decided to go ahead and join in on the swap. It’s a great idea. Margo

P.S. I don’t do indoor plants so if there some way we could avoid someone sending these to me, it would be appreciated. I just don’t have anywhere to put them and I have A cat. Please let me know if this is a problem. I would just hate to waste someone’s plants. Thanks.

• beth_b_kodiak

Margo, happy to have you in the group..... I can do either but if it's outdoors, Most likely will be herbs from me.(or maybe succulents)........ Maybe that will suit someones fancy

• Deb4372 .

Margo, Thank you so much for letting me know you don't want plants/houseplants in your package! Anyone else NOT want houseplants? If so, please post it here, and quickly- because once I post swap Pal's, I know many send boxes out that same day! The swap is still open for a few more hours. I'll post swap Pal's later tonight after 10 pm. Anyone else want to join in on the fun? Share your hobby- in a box!

• Deb4372 .

Ok, it's past 10 pm, central time. Time to post the Swap Pal list..

Shirley sends a box to- Margo.

Margo sends a box to- Deb

Deb sends a box to- Beth

Beth sends a box to- Skyblue52,

Skyblue52 sends a box to- Shirley

Please send your box on or by the 16th, plenty of time to plan, and pack up a really nice box for your Swap Pal! :) Also, please post when your box goes out, and when it's received.

• skyblue52

Good morning girls Hope sunny skys for all today . Going out to cage my tomatoes and see how the garden is doing. I know the peas are ready to pick. Gotta get back in the gardening mode. Might do this to save time.

• brittneysgran

Susan-I love this idea, how neat is that.

• Deb4372 .

Cooler temps in Chicago, and it's so nice outside. Lower 70's, with 50's at night! Perfect weather! I worked on Beth's 'hobby in a box' today, and shipped it out! Priority 9505 5121 5033 9161 2809 27 expected delivery day, Friday. Beth, make sure to track it. Lately, any priority I send, takes 2 days. So, possibly expect it Wednesday or Thursday. I had a LOT of fun packing this box. I couldn't fit one more item in. I needed a bigger box! And I sent the largest priority box possible!

• beth_b_kodiak

WOW!!! Deb that sounds totally exciting. I can hardly wait.

I am so backed up due to weather, sickness and trying to work a real job too this year..... I'm going to try to hire a couple boys from my work to help with the yard and garden for a while. I'll need to teach them and their interest in learning varies from day to day and sometimes, minute to minute. Fairly typical kids response I think......

Shirley, love the clematis. Have you ( or anyone) tried rooting cuttings? I have one called tie dye that is so pretty I'd like to have another one too. I had remembered reading years ago they were difficult and wondered about air layering? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed

Susan, I should be mailing by the end of this week (Fri or Sat)

• Deb4372 .

I remember reading you just cut a clematis piece off, dip it in root tone (a hormone white powder) and put it in vermiculite. Some people bag it with a clear bag for a few weeks to promote a greenhouse environment.

• Deb4372 .

You can do this with roses too. I have!

• brittneysgran

Beth every year I collect clematis seeds and say I am going to learn how to grow more and never do. Way to much on my plate but I would love to try it.

Deb-That sounds easy I may try the cuttings. I found a clematis this evening that is blooming and so darling. The blooms are really small but oh so different. I would really like to have more of it.

• Deb4372 .

My Grandma used to cut pieces off of her rambling red rose bush- pieces that were several inches tall. She would literally cut a piece off, take off all the leaves (so the plant produces roots and recovers quickly, no energy going toward the leaves) and stick it in the ground! She would place a mason jar over the cutting for a few weeks. She did this in the spring, or fall when temps were cooler. In 100* sun, the cutting would probably bake in the glass jar! After a few weeks, when you start to see new growth, take the jar off. I tried this, and it works. I also tried this in a pot in a shaded area. Fast way to propagate roses.

• beth_b_kodiak

Deb!!!! Totally amazing fantastic, out of the park swap box!!! Wowieee

I was hoping for a few African Violet leaves. How delightful to receive the adorable minis AND a blossom to show what I am looking forward too. Great idea and so generous. ( don't remember ever being willing to part with a blossom, LOL) I have not had an AV since I lived in Kodiak. They, and I loved it there

Deb also sent a variety of pothos, spider plants,, philodendron and even some ivy These will really help to brighten my south facing Patio door this winter. For now they are in the NE window getting rooted and or adjusted to their new home.

I also got two bags of Asiatic lilies.Black Out and Navona. Up to now, I have quite a few lilies in the garden but none were Asiatic. This is another very welcome new addition.

Deb, just can't thank you enough for my Hobby in a box, box of goodies.

This is a(not very good) photo of my Tie Dye clematis

I will be trying to root cuttings. I love this one and want another but would trade for one that is dark red if anyone else wants to try rooting some. Thanks for the tips. I had tried to start seeds a couple times without luck so far.

Thanks again DEB, you really perked up my week (and my winters too)

• Deb4372 .

Beth, so glad you liked your box. Philo and pothos are so hearty, and thrive so easily, and live forever. Some people grow them in vases with water. And they do really well. I put them in ceramic pots, I have them in scattered places in the house. I have so many violets, I have a violet/craft room/bird room. And grow them in the basement under lights. I have so many minis, and large varieties, I've been collecting them for years. I didn't want to overwhelm you, so didn't send a lot. If you ever want just a box of violet leaves, let me know. The primulina is a cousin to the violet (gessie) it grows basically like a violet (you put down leaves and babies appear at the soil line.) Plants! ;) We used to send plants each month in our swaps here with OBF. In the colder months, we sent bulbs, tubers, seeds, tools, etc. Always something plant related. I used to love the houseplant box/round robin. It would go from person to person, and you chose plant cuttings- and put your plant cuttings in the package to replace what you took. I wanted to do that swap so bad, but was hesitant (that no one would join.)

• smitties

Deb, sent you a message. Tried to mail your package but address wouldn't come up in his computer. I did it exactly as you put. Is there something typed wrong. Let me know and I’ll try again.

• skyblue52

Good Friday to all. Shirley , your package went out yesterday. you have me looking at my clematis thinking cuttings. my problem is I want new kinds. I was able to move some daylilies out of the holding area in hopes of getting blooms. It still holds 15 historical iris that are getting size, maybe next year. Nursing a yellow butterfly bush and a small piece of coral charm peony . Shirley did you get your prize? I have tried my 2 habitus no luck. so trying the in the ground with a rock method. I dig out the rambling roses every year, but they send out runners. I now have 3 red and 1 pink. I will cut down again in a month.

• Deb4372 .

Margo, I did reply back. :) If your post office is being picky. Omit the "S" /South. Our normal bills don't include the "S" even though we have lived here forever, and our address didn't change. ;)

• smitties

Deb, crossed off the S and it’ll be on the way tomorrow. Sorry bout the crazy post office issues. Margo

• brittneysgran

Susan I did get my peony and have it planted in it's new home, thank you. I received my wonderful tomato hobby box Saturday and can't wait to taste all the luscious tomatoes. I have them planted and can't wait until they are ready to eat. The 100 Heirloom Tomatoes book looks interesting. Thanks again for sharing such a thoughtful hobby.

Tomatoes Susan sent:

Caramel Cordial

Italian Tomato Pantano Romanesco

Big Red

Indigo Rose

• skyblue52

Shirley book is the first I got to learn about heirlooms. The author Carolyn Male just passed away this week. She was an adviser on Tomatoville. She introduced many heirlooms tomatoes and got them registered . On those cold winter nights it brings thoughts of summer ahead. I hope you will enjoy the many tastes of these tomatoes.

• smitties

Deb, hubby mailed your package. He got mixed up with another swap and told them it was book rate so hopefully they don’t notice it isn’t packaged like a book. It also might take a little longer. Lol. sorry bout that. Margo.

• Deb4372 .

Susan, very neat idea for a swap box! So creative! I love tomatoes! Black krim was always my favorite (such a rich dark color) I used to grow pink ones, yellow ones, cherry, huge big boys (I can't remember all the names.) There is nothing better than going to the garden and picking a fresh salad! Or picking fresh herbs! Basil is my fav! I add it to so many Italian dishes. ;) Margo, so excited, I'll post when your box arrives!

• Deb4372 .

Does anyone have a really good recipe for deep dish pizza? Kind of like Gino's East, or Giordano's (Chicago places).. I've tried so many recipes, and somethings always missing from the crust (not buttery enough) not dense enough, tastes like too much flour. Cooking is another one of my hobbies! Always, looking for a really good recipe for Lasagne too. :) A few times in the past, I hosted a swap - and we exchanged cook books, added other kitchen gadgets, kitchen towels, oven mitts, and a yummy candle, and a fav recipe!

• skyblue52

The garden is waking up. Everything is blooming behind. I have 1 dahlai a blooming. The maroon tall flower.

• smitties

Had to share this bee balm bloom with you guys. The plant is over 3 feet tall.

• Deb4372 .

Susan, beautiful flowers/landscape! So colorful! Margo, WOW the bee balm is gorgeous! Temps in Chicago have been chilly, still- and so much rain! It's more May weather than June! I've been working inside repotting some violets on all the rainy days, and cleaning reorganizing some cabinets. Wishing everyone a very relaxing weekend. And Margo, I'll post when the swap box arrives. :)

• Deb4372 .

My envelope from Margo arrived. :) A cute cross stitch kit with a saying of- "Gardeners have the best dirt!" Also, an adult coloring book, colored pencils, sharpener/eraser combo for the pencils. And seeds "Butterfly weed" for attracting Monarchs. Margo, I've had butterfly weed growing in my yard for years! I received the seeds from a GW package a long time ago. The plants are well established, and die back in the winter, only to return again in the spring/and seem to spread a little more each year! My yard is filled with Monarchs! Thanks so much for sharing your hobbies with me. Cross stitch, butterflies, and coloring. :) This was a fun swap! I wish more people participated this month. It's so fun to share hobbies!

• Deb4372 .

I'll pass the seeds along in the next box- swap for OBF. So, someone else can plant them

quickly! :)

• beth_b_kodiak

Susan, your gardens are beautiful . Mine are a mess this year. I did get some things dug for you and mailed on Friday.... estimated delivery Monday

Yesterday was warm, Sunny and pleasant. The B E Susans seemed to be smiling. Today is back to windy, chilly and more flash flood warnings with heavy clouds and temps in the 60's. Not what I expect for late June but........

• skyblue52

Ohio, specifically the Dayton area, has experienced record rainfall this year and in recent years.

2018 was confirmed to be one of the Top 10 wettest years on record with the last year’s rainfall accumulation reaching near 49 inches.Weeds are showing up in full force. Poison Hemlock and wild parnip are seen in the landscapes.

>> 2018 is one of the Top 10 wettest years in Dayton

Poison hemlock is one of the deadliest plants in North America. It contains highly toxic compounds, which cause respiratory failure and death in mammals.

• skyblue52

Hi girls I posted because yes the weeds are everywhere. I have not cut my back hill because of all the wood/branches still in the growth. Going to have my brother do it Thursday with a weedwacker. Have pulled poison ivy. The wild honeysuckle is everywhere. Have cut its starts out of my pine tress. The bugs mostly flys are every where. .

• Beth Brownberry

Susan, PO says your package was delivered yesterday. Hope all is well there

• skyblue52

yes Beth. I have been tring for an hour to upload the picture.

Here is plantiful package from Beth. I got the herbs planted last night and ended up weeding in the mud for an hour. The rest will be this week. some dry days ahead. I can smell the water heating up from the ground. White iris, native columbine, Kindly light lily, green zebra tomato plants, Vera lavender, golden thyme, sweet majoram, greek oregano, hosta and coral bells. Always great getting a box of plants. thank you

• Deb4372 .

Wow, such a nice box- that Beth sent! :) This month was fun. Glad to see some plants exchanged!

• Beth Brownberry

Deb I have some roots coming on the pothos you sent. so far nothing visible on any of the AV leaves but they still look good

• brittneysgran

Goodness can't believe the month of June is gone and my hobby box has not been shipped.

So sorry Margo I do hope to get it out this week. We have had the best year ever selling daylilies so I can't complain about that but just so hard digging in this horrible heat. Seems like everyone comes the hottest part of the day. Not so bad on them walking around pointing they will take this daylily or that daylily but when you are the one digging them it gets very tiring/hot quickly.

• Deb4372 .

Thanks Everyone for participating this month! I had a lot of fun hosting it. One more package... can't wait to see what Margo receives! :)

• smitties

Received my box from Shirley today. Everyone must know that she is a huge daylily gardener so it’s definitely her hobby. She sent me 6 types of day lilies. I would list them but they are outside soaking so I can plant them ASAP. It’s raining out so the ground will be ready for them tomorrow. Thank you Shirley. Definitely worth the wait. I hope things have slowed down so you can get a little break from digging. Margo.