portlandmysteryrose

For Plumeria Girl/Jin--Reply RdR

Hi, Jin. I think my reply to you on the Portland thread was inserted too late for you to see it, so I'm dropping it into this post addressed to you. I'll attach a photo of Rose de Rescht just for fun. I wish I could also attach the scent! Carol

Jin, thank you for posting photos of your lovely RdR bloom! I am honored to have persuaded you to try this deliciously scented and very old cultivar. Now, you and I are officially kindred spirits in the Ancient Persian Rose Growing Club along with Lin and others on the forum! I hope RdR grows and blooms well for you in Florida. I will be very interested to hear how it performs in your climate. As I mentioned to Lin on her thread, RdR does take a few years to really come into its full glory. Mine noticeably matured after I'd grown it for around 4. It really began to show its remontancy capabilities. You mentioned hurricane season. I hope that annual stretch of meteorological uncertainty goes easy on your roses and the whole state of Florida this year, Jin. Blackspot is a trifle compared to a whirling mass of wind and water slamming the coastline, but I admire the pluck and determination of all you Florida gardeners. When someone mentions a hurricane, you respond with recommendations for preventing trellised roses from flying away and salvaging flooded perennials! Carol

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Love that color!

portlandmysteryrose thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Marlorena-z8 England-

..that is one gorgeous rose...

portlandmysteryrose thanked Marlorena-z8 England-
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Aww, I wish mine turn to that colour. She is beautiful. I did see your post and how did you know I did not read it. I have this bad thing of checking so I know where I left off. Haha
    I am crazy with that fragrance and yeah I am in that club and cannot stop dreaming. I am so in tune with history too.
    I never get a chance to thank you for introducing damask to me . I do notice we both love deep rich colours.
    I think I got 2 or 3 roses recommended by you. I know RDR and Baronne Prevost. The 3rd is Maggie. It is either you or Jeri. .
    I wish I can grow others but I know I won't able to Bec I don't have winter chill. Those roses I can just dream but hoping I can smell it one day when I visit up North it better still Portland. I heard roses grow everywhere even outside the airport, on streets... everywhere. It is place to go to :)You are so right about the habits of Rdr, I noticed it gets better with age. one moment I am spraying and next I have not. Just plucking the bad infected leaves and there are time I just don't bother esp if I know it will rain this week and the next then the following. That's when I will just go...forget it. Fighting with nature is impossible.
    My Rdr blooms often. I am on top of deadheading.
    pics are taken a few months ago.
    I had one bloom but it is gone but I see new buds forming again
    jin

portlandmysteryrose thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

As you can see it has some BS but not bad. I am not afraid to show it ugliness but enjoy mother nature since it is only natural.
    pics below is taken the same day I posted in Lois's thread that is last week.
    This evening I will post a few as you will see new buds forming. I love Rdr. it has nice form and very compact. I realized how compact it is and that's when I pluck the whole stem of leaves just to have air circulation . That's when I noticed a little trick but it is hard to follow through when it is too heavily stack on each other. So, my guess was as it age , I am hoping it will grow apart and BS will decreases. To be honest, I was so happy that you wrote on other threads about it's habits. You worded it so well and basically you confirmed my thoughts. Yes, I am also studying my roses and their behavior.
    Maggie, it is so huge. It has many canes and I don't even bother spraying it anymore. One rose down but this two will be under my microscope for this hurricanes seasons. I try milk remedy and it don't work here so Need oil does but I used it after dark so it won't fried the next day when it is hot. I do have stronger ones but I am saving that for special seasons like hurricanes.
    I am so, so, so lucky that I don't have any bug infestation like alphids or anything. I really thank all the frogs, lizards, birds and esp lady bugs. I always find lady bugs around my roses . Seeing them gets my anxiety up. I will go to all my roses, inspect every leaves to make sure there's nothing underneath or something that I missed. They come and they go. So, I try not to spray and if I do.. I make sure I remove all of them and nothing stays there. It might take me hours. lizards are so easy. They ran so fast and goes far away... smart little reptiles.
    Once I deadheaded an old bloom. I was about to throw it away when I saw something inside the petals. I moved a few petals and found a lady bug so I put the spend bloom on the ground . It looks asleep but well protect by the petals. A few hours later it was gone. I guess lady bugs do sleep :)

jin

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

I am sorry but I try to break it down so it won't be so lengthy. Carol you are such a sweetheart and I was actually surprised to see a thread to me. First I had a cup of coffee. Then decide to go seconds ....before I answer :)
    I would love to see all your roses again . hint, hint....pics. It's been a while I have seen your garden . As I remembered it was beautiful and how you got it surrounding the path. A secret garden which I am sure your little girl loves it. How are her plants coming along. I remembered she has something put together but I can't remember what .
    A little Gardener....hehehe.

jin

• Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)

Oh, my, Carol. If only my RdR ever looked like that!

It clearly likes your conditions and care!! It was "okay" in LV. Think I might give it a try in TX!

portlandmysteryrose thanked Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Jin, you deserve many kudos for growing this one in FL—it’s just as gorgeous as it can be!! :-)

portlandmysteryrose thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Desertgarden, that is amazing you grew Rdr in Las Vegas. Actually , it is amazing that you grew beautiful roses in extreme weather. Now, you are in Texas which most roses loves the weather there. You can grew basically anything now. I hope to see your new garden one day.
    Perma, you are such sweet lady. Thank you !
    You have no idea how many people doubt me here saying Rose de Rescht ? I understand it can be really challenging and become completely debilitated by disease.
    Anyways, I love this place o went to call Country Care roses. I met this couples a few times and they are so encouraging. . They have to try every rose and are actually zone pusher. When I told them what roses I grew they were really pleased with me and one of them was Rdr. I think they were try Rdr but I promise to give them some cuttings esp Geoge Washington Richardson and my Chinese rose plant which I can't even think of the name. They have tons of space about 10 acres. Very nice and loving family.
    Above I saw mistake edit : on Need oil to Neem oil. Touch screens what else can I say... oops!!
    Country Care roses pic below.
    Kim, I think you know them Bec the owners were from CA. They know you :)
    jin

• Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)

Plumeria,

I think it will be more difficult to grow roses in Texas. Most homes in Las Vegas have drip irrigation to efficiently and effectively give roses what they need during the heat of Summer. Roses are grown with relative ease there.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Lynn, you will just have to add irrigation to make it work.

portlandmysteryrose thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • portlandmysteryrose

Jin, your RdR is growing beautifully! Damasks in FL can be a bit of a challenge, I believe, but dedicated and determined gardeners like you grow amazing surprises all the time. I look forward to hearing how your RdR develops over time. I suspect the color of mine will be a bit darker due to climate, but I've never see RdR in anything but a pretty shade of something raspberry to fuchsia. And that scent! That glorious scent. Country Care Roses looks like a great find! I hope independent nurseries live forever. They are the best. We need another one around here. I suspect both RVR and Joy Creek are on the verge of retiring. Heirloom Roses is plugging along, but the word "antique" was dropped from the name for a reason, darn it. I notice that prices keep going up, too.

Desertgarden, you grew so many roses beautifully in LV, and it looks like your RdR was no exception! You've got a couple of green thumbs, for sure. TX can be challenging in its own ways, but I doubt it's more challenging than Nevada. It's just different. Can you remind me where you landed? (TX is so varied--from miles of sand and tumbleweeds to forest.) I think you're in West TX? If so, the following applies: Like Sheila said, just irrigate. You know that drill! Given climate change and water shortages, I'd go for keeping my roses up to par with direct irrigation, and then I'd interplant with drought tolerant plants. I'd put in plenty of walkways which break up the beds and give my nose easy access to all the wonderful scents. In TX, ARE is indispensable, but I'll bet your experience with "desert gardening" will serve you equally well, and nurseries that specialize in hot and dry will still be good choices for shopping and advice. How convenient that you could just keep your forum moniker "Desert Garden," yes? I believe RdR will grow nicely for you if you grew it in NV. The bloom color will be lighter than mine, but I've seen RdR flower nicely in TX heat. It didn't faint, and looked a lot like your LV photo. If you decide to plant Jacques C/Marchesa B, too, I'd put it somewhere where it misses the hottest very late afternoon sun so the blooms stay fresher longer. Please post as your garden grows! I would love to witness your strategies in action and visit my state of origin without driving across the southwest in summer. :-) Carol

• portlandmysteryrose

Our Steelers and Marlorena, my RdR thanks you for the compliments! Carol

• Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)

Hi Carol. I am still learning where I am, but we moved to an Austin suburb... (west of Austin)... It is very lush and green here.

The home we are residing in is temporary, but I think we are here to stay. I have a list of 75 roses thus far and have already started purchasing new rose babies... We will likely buy land and build a home somewhere near where our rental is.

Thanks to you, Jin and Sheilah for the advice and encouragement.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Desertgarden, you have so many years of experience in growing roses. I have faith in your choices and abilities. I wish you luck in Texas. It is a great plan to build a house plus a garden of your design. I know in my heart it will look great and hope to see it one day.

I learned a lot from you and Carol is right. Texas is huge but a lot of nurseries are there Bec # 1, the land is spacious plus it has ( #2) pretty good climate to grow roses that is the reason why I said what I said. My Rosarians friends are always bragging about Texas climate then it jump to Portland. They always talk about chill weather and not so humid but Texas is a big thing here.
    Irrigation is great to be installed but here it is useless Bec it rains very often. There are times I used my hose to water all my 70 + roses and it can take like 20 - 30 mins at 4 am before I go work sometimes I water again in late afternoon if it is so hot esp Summers.

Hope to see your garden again looking forward to that special day.

jin

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

winter chill as colder weather than us and I am sure they have some other challenges by the choices of roses are more that you can pick from.
    jin

• portlandmysteryrose

DesertGarden, roses should grow well for you in Central TX. The Austin area is a fun place to live and garden! (If I'd remained in TX, no doubt I'd have been an Austin gal.) All those wonderful varieties in the ARE catalog should be perfect in your area. I suspect I'm going to envy your Teas, Noisettes and Chinas! Old European Roses will be a tougher fit, but a number should do quite well, as will a number of Bourbons and HPs, including Zephirine D, Souvenir de la Malmaison, Maggie and Rose de Rescht. If I were you, I'd definitely grow Gloire de Dijon and Marechal Niel! Lady Banks, Lamarque, Belle Pourtugaise, so many other climbers. I'm guessing you're going to have a grand time. I wish you well with the new house project! As Plumeria notes, it's exciting creating from scratch, and I know both your home and garden will be lovely! Carol