Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsprin

I need help with my dining room!

jsprin
4 years ago

I just purchased this rug and I need to tie the room together. First how do you feel about the rug and ideas for table top etc.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

The rug works with the existing items. To finish the design, I recommend you add window panels. I hope this helps.

jsprin thanked User
  • apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Add living plants if you want a centerpiece. Orchids would add color.

jsprin thanked apple_pie_order
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Rug is great. I agree that window panels would finish it off. A plain natural linen would be perfect here.

If I had to nitpick something here...I think the buffet lamps are kind of wimpy. The rest of the room looks great.

jsprin thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO the rug is a bit short and for sure drapes will add that last bit of warmth to the space but I like the rest as is and I agree an orchid would be pretty on the table but I would do white I tdon’t think this space is ctying out for color at all. Get some nice silk drapes in a gray from the rug and probably I would remove the sconce and add anothe piece of art or just the drapery panels on eith side of the window

jsprin thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Why did you relocate the ceiling fixture so that it's not centered in the room. That is what I find not working for the room. That the table is not centered on the console & mirror and that the rug is too far to one side of the room.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

jsprin thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Beverly, that fixture looks centered to me.

• housegal200
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Maybe hang a mirror on the small area of wall near the short window to reflect outdoor light at that end of the room? I like a beautiful, sculptural, curvy handmade bowl in a dining room with a lot of angles.

Glass in color from the rug:

The room is quite lovely but maybe needs something on the table with an organic shape or finish.

jsprin thanked housegal200
  • J J
    4 years ago

following

• tfitz1006
    4 years ago

I like everything except the candle sconce. What is that square piece by the entry? It's too high there but maybe could work where the sconce was. Agree with simple curtains. Lovely room.

• Lil S
    4 years ago

Housegal- where did you find that first bowl?

• housegal200
    4 years ago

Darn, I should've noted it. I think I put "oval/oblong decorative bowl" into the search engine for Houzz or Google or both and lots of great bowls came up. So sorry.

• jsprin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. I agree about the sconce. What color for the panels would be best? I like the cream color. Just looking for a consensus, I am lost with this.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I agree with Beverly and would center the dining set, rug and light fixture with the mirror/table vignette at the end. Perhaps the bar is an issue. Move it to the living room where drinks can be served before exiting to the dining room for dinner parties. I like the rug but find it a bit small. It should be 6 feet larger than the table top in both directions to allow for chair scoot and sit space without chairs falling off of it. Another pretty flower could be Calla Lilies.

Jamaica Pond · More Info

Chateauesque · More Info

Galla Calla Lily at Hallway Entry Table · More Info

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Plain linen curtains with a little texture and in a color close to the wall color would be perfect.

• PRO
    Gordon's Window Decor
    4 years ago

A solid drape, possibly with some lead trimming?

Trims, fabrics and embellishments! · More Info

• jsprin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I had someone come in and measure for panels, thank you all for the ideas. I was wondering if the panels should be stationary or pull open and close? With or without a blind underneath and if a blind what do you suggest?

• PRO
    Holly Hager at Curatious
    4 years ago

Love all the ideas here—you're pretty much set! Just wanted to compliment you on your choice of art, its installation, and framing. The 3 works look stunning!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

How about plain Roman shades in the same fabric as the curtains?

• mardsz
    4 years ago

Try moving the two spare chairs out of the corners and next to the console