0
william_white52

Leaves curling Type of plant workin stunted, spreading to other plans

William White

Started with tomato on the end now working its way down to the other plants begins at the top the top leaves look curled inward and down but color is good, then the condition works with me down to the plant. Stunning the growth. The first plant that it’s affected is about to die. Slowly starting from the top down of the plants. I’ve looked carefully but do not see any pest. The place at the end of the row are producing well so far, but just noticed the disease affecting a couple of leaves on either plant, my last two today. Here are some photos

• vgkg Z-7 Va

Do you have a pic of the whole tomato plant? I have a few plants with what I believe to be infected with "curly top virus" which is said to be spread by leaf hoppers. At first I thought it was caused by herbicide drift but that doesn't seem possible in my location.

• gorbelly

Unless you know exactly what your neighbors are up to, there's no way to know whether or not they're using herbicides that can drift or volatilize to affect extremely sensitive plants like tomatoes. Also, if you live within a few miles of agricultural fields that spray herbicides, it can drift and affect your plants. Other common culprits are manure, compost, and mulch.

Regardless, in either herbicide or virus, you should pull the plants and replace them if it's early enough in your season. In the case of virus, the pest vector may have passed, and future plants may be OK. Mild herbicide injury can sometimes be outgrown, although it will set your production back, but if it's still early enough to get replacement plants, that's your best best. However, you need to figure out whether the source of your contamination is the mulch, compost, etc. that you used or something like a sprayer that has ever been used for herbicide.