ohmysammy

Rest In Peace, Mama Pinky (mamapinky0)

Sammy

Cheryl Ickes, more commonly known around here as “Mama Pinky,” passed away on Wednesday, June 5, at the age of 63. Here is a link to her obituary: Cheryl Ickes Obituary

May we wish the best for her family as they mourn her loss.

• janey_alabama

R.I.P., you will be missed. I got the biggest kick out of her & her enjoyment she got from doing laundry.

• Yayagal

She was a person of strength and she showed us how to handle a tragic situation out loud in our chats. She seemed very humble and kind and I enjoyed every minute of reading her posts and responses. May she rest in the arms of angels and may her family grieve easily knowing she's still with them in spirit. So so sorry she had to leave.

• joann_fl

My Deepest sympathy to the family.

she has been listed in the Empty Chairs

• Ava

My condolences to her family. The kitchen table isn't quite the same without her wit. Sadly missed and never to be forgotten. RIP

• ghostlyvision

I'm so sorry to see this, much sympathy and strength to her family.

• Suzieque

Judy, she let us know a few months ago that she had been diagnosed with cancer.

• kayjones

I am sending my condolences to her loved ones.

• blfenton

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. Words fail me at this time.

I kept hoping she would recover and come back to join us.

• MiMi

I’m forever grateful for her spot on laundry advise... and her love of vintage linens, as I’m climbing into my bed with freshly washed vintage sheets, so cool and crisp, she came to mind.... also for my now addiction of buying and hoarding laundry cleaning supplies, stpp, sodium percarbonate and citric acid.... This “chick” will truly miss her...

• AvatarWalt

No further word of a GoFundMe, so I'm going to follow up with a check to the family mailed in care of the funeral home. I'm so sad about this loss for her family, and for the community she built here too. There have been a couple of posts about a KT controversy that I thankfully missed--I hope it didn't cause too much sadness for MamaP in her last days.

• graywings123

The only GoFundMe I have found is the one MamaPinky set up to get help with her furnace a year and a half ago. It is still open. But I am concerned about the family's ability to access the funds now.

• quasifish

RIP MamaPinky. She was one of a kind and will be sorely missed. Deepest condolences to her friends and family.

• pennydesign

So very saddened to hear this...I was convinced that if anyone could survive, it would be MamaP.

She was one of the kindest people that I encountered, here, and I'll never forget her words during an unfortunate time. Thank you Mamapinky.

• lulu bella

Very sorry to read this.

• sashanikki

I am so very sorry. She will be very missed. Deepest condolences to her family. I was so sure she would beat this awful cancer.

• sprtphntc7a

so sad, so young... such a giving person. she was a person that spoke from the heart which was refreshing.

she will truly be missed here at the KT and the Laundry forum.. sincere condolences to her family.

• hounds_x_two

I am so sorry. Prayers for peace, healing and strength for her family.

• Rebecca King

So sorry, I just joined due to a new machine purchase and I have been reading back posts and old threads for the past week and teared up reading that the woman who has essential taught me to do laundry properly and inspired a lot of purchases [phosphates!] has passed. Condolences to all who knew her.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

I just had this reply from one of the funeral home staffers, asking if there were options other than a check, because I'm in Canada and don't have a US $ chequing account,

I apologize but I don't know how you could donate money towards the Ickes funeral. We currently don't take credit cards. If you really want to donate, you would send cash, even though it isn't recommended to send cash through the mail. Sorry I wouldn't help more. Here is our address if you are interested.

: (

• saccharum

Beckysharp, you should be able to send a Canadian cheque. I've deposited American cheques into Canadian bank accounts no problem, although there's always a currency exchange fee associated with it. Did they specifically tell you they wouldn't accept a Canadian cheque?

• tartanmeup

If they don't take credit cards, I'm guessing e-transfers aren't an option? :/ But yes, American accounts should be able to accept a Cdn cheque. The bank will convert the currency.

I didn't ask if they'll take a Canadian cheque because so much gets lost in the exchange from Can > US, unlike the reverse, and then the exchange fee on top of that.

(And I'm a Luddite, so I don't do e-transfers...)

I have a sil in Toronto with a US account, so I'm thinking of trading her some farm-raised beef as an exchange : ) .

Anglophilia

They don't take credit cards? That's just weird.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

This was such a shock to me. I always enjoyed reading message from Mama Pinky. What a loss to her family and to us all. I am still trying to absorb this news.

• tami_ohio

So sorry to hear this.

• amylou321

It's very suspect that they ask for cash..... no way to know if mamaps family benefits from it.

I tried to go to her daughter's page to message her (babypinky) but she doesn't have messages enabled. Was hoping SHE would set up a GFM or provide an address to send money to.

• Texas_Gem

I'm not on Facebook but if anyone is and wants to try messaging Amiee, here is her profile.

http://facebook.com/BabyPinky120?pn_ref=ec_friends_card

• Ava

I am not a fan of GFM but like the idea of the family receiving some money directly. I know several people have mailed items in the past, so perhaps someone who has the address could come up with a way to get our donations to the family as opposed to the funeral home. Thoughts?

• hcbm

I have MamaP's address. If you want message me and I will pass the address on. You can send a check to them directly. If you Google her the address and phone number is easily found.

• gardener123wewantsophie

My heartfelt condolences to MamaP's family. Her love for you and her kindness defined who she was—such a good soul. May you take solace in that love, and find peace and inspiration in the memories of your time together. Her legacy will live on through you, and I wish you every comfort during this difficult time.

• Marilyn_Sue

I am so sorry to hear of her passing. She always seemed like such a caring person. I am not on here much as I am busy all the time it seems and I just read this.

Sue in Central Indiana

• Jody

OMG, how did I miss this, I checked in just the other day. RIP Cheryl. I am so sorry for her loss.

• pecanfudge

I am sorry that MamaPinky passed. She was very knowledgeable about laundry and very helpful to share that knowledge with others.

• Sooz

So very sorry to read this.... she will certainly be missed. Sending prayers and condolences to her family & friends.

• A J

I have not been on this page for a while, but I do remember MamaPinky very well. So very sad for this loss. I hate that anyone ever has to deal with a loss due to cancer. It is such a horrible evil disease. RIP MamaP you are gone but not forgotten.

• Ava

She has been in my thoughts lately. I often think of her dear family and hope they are coping. Wish there was something I could do for them.

• lovemrmewey

I have been wondering if anyone on the KT has been in contact with her family?

• arkansas girl

After the shock has worn off, I've just been thinking about how crazy fast the cancer took over her and then she was gone. Such a horrible disease.

I have a friend that had lung cancer but she fought it for over a year. She was not even 50 yet when she was taken by cancer. Before, she was a very active and vibrant lady living life to the fullest then BAM! One day she coughed up some blood and then it was all down hill from there.

• eld6161

Arkansas, unfortunately I think MamaP ignored symptoms for a very long time.

• ldstarr

Some lung cancers are very, very aggressive and do not response well to treatment, even if caught early. Certain types often have a 3-6 month expected survival, with or without treatment. Sorry to be such a "Debbie Downer", but it just shows how much more work there is to do in finding cures for all the cancers of the world.

• DawnInCal

She posted that in September (when she was dealing with pneumonia) she had a lung scan that was clear which just goes to show how quickly some cancers progress. I hope her family is coping ok - she was their rock and I can't imagine what a shock losing her must be.

• sleeperblues

I'm really sorry to hear this, Mamapinky was one of a kind. I hope her family and her puppies are coping. They have been through so much, my heart bleeds for them.

• Jody

My stepmother had small cell carcinoma that started in her lungs. She was a 40 year smoker though. She also had a lung scan in October 2010 that was clear, was diagnosed with the cancer on Feb. 28th and died on April 20th 2011. By the time she was diagnosed, it had already spread to her brain and pancreas and the doctors said there was no hope. We were all shocked at how fast it happened.

Dog the Bounty hunter's wife died today from lung and throat cancer and she supposedly didn't smoke, but was around him, and he smoked all the time.

• jtc

Very sad to hear this. The family has had more than their share of set backs. Does anyone know if they at least got a new furnace?

• hcbm

She did not get a new furnace. The Go Fund Me site is still up last time I looked. She was wonderful and lived a very difficult life, but was always kind, helpful and positive. I miss her.

• jtc

As far as the GFM site, I just checked and two that were set up for other members at about the same time and exceeded goals are also still up.

• cynic

So saddened to hear this about such a wonderful and knowledgeable person who was generous in sharing that knowledge. I enjoyed her posts and our conversations. RIP my friend!

• VedaBeeps SoCal 9b/10a

I’m so sad to read this, sending love and light to her family.

• livebetter

Oh Gosh ... so sad :(

• SEA SEA

It's been about 6 weeks now...it still doesn't seem like it could be true. I think about MamaP's family a lot. I hope they are doing as well as they can. I wish cancer would stop taking people who do right on this earth and leaving the crud balls behind.