Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbulter

Has anyone used Eldorado Grand Banks limestone stone veneer?

jbulter
4 years ago

New product in Feb 2019 and having the hardest time getting a sample, never mind photos of it installed. Have any of you used this product? Seen it? A sample? If you could please post a photo that would be wonderful! If we install it I'll post mine here of course!

We are thinking of using it for a fireplace in a modern/farmhouse setting. Oak floors, white walls, black fireplace insert (wood burning).

I'm asking the distributor and the company but they have been very challenging to get a hold of, response from, etc. citing that it's a new product (Feb 2019), but it is available...

Anyone? Even if you've seen a sample at your local hardware/landscaping shop that would be helpful!

THANK YOU!

from the website: https://www.eldoradostone.com/eldorado-stone-showcases-intricate-hand-painted-hues-with-five-new-color-palettes-at-the-2019-international-builders-show/ this is the official pic on the website and the only one I've ever seen

Comments (48)

• PRO
    KD Landscape
    4 years ago

If you go deeper into El Dorado Stones website there is a tab "Where To Buy" that checks your location and gives you a list of the nearest distributors. https://www.eldoradostone.com/where-to-buy/

• jbulter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have been working with the local distributor but they have not been able to get a sample in the last 4 weeks.

• jbulter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

In case anyone else is searching for this: Here’s a photo eldorado sent me from a trade show fireplace. On the right is the sample I received.

• 615shopper
    4 years ago

Thanks for the photo! I have a sample but it’s hard to get the big picture. I’m considering it for exterior. Also looking at their Falling Spring rough cut. Good luck!

• lcox1129
    4 years ago

• lcox1129
    4 years ago

Above photos of Eldorado Grand Banks recently installed. Off white grout mixed with brown sand. Mantle from Wayfair

• 615shopper
    4 years ago

That looks great!! I ended up not using it because the sample they provided looked nothing like that. I ended up using Sculpted Ashlar in silver shore by Cultured Stone. It’s also being released in a great new color in case anyone wants to check it out.

• yosistah
    4 years ago

Your fireplace is lovely, lcox1129 ! I'm looking for a similar stone for our fireplace. In your photo it seems darker/smoother, overall, than in the earlier sample photo eldorado sent. Was this a choice? Or perhaps there was a sealant applied? Thanks for your help, I'm only just starting to investigate this stuff.

• lcox1129
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks, the sample I received was much lighter and didn’t include all the colors that are in the box. If you want lighter I would use white grout to make it appear lighter. It’s a good variation of white, gray, charcoal black, and tan. No sealer was used.

• Slo Ro
    3 years ago

Thanks for posting a photo of your home! We were able to get samples quickly but were having a hard time deciding between Grand Banks and Austin Cream. This photo was tremendously helpful.

• letsgo716
    3 years ago

@Slo Ro - what did you decide?

• Slo Ro
    3 years ago

@letsgo716 We chose Austin Cream which looks more beige than grey. I'll post pics when the project is complete.

• jseitter
    3 years ago

I want to use Grand Banks for my fireplace, but just wondering what material you used on the hearth to coordinate with it.

• lcox1129
    3 years ago

We went to local stone yard and had limestone cut to our exact dimensions, 3 sides chiseled, back was straight finish. $350 for 72" custom cut, but totally worth it for solid piece. We found buying three of four smaller stones was almost as much as solid. Our grout was white with brown sand, which when brushed over all the stones the brown sand made all the colors a little softer. I love my hearth, sit there all the time. Good luck!

• kswartzon
    3 years ago

This was very helpful. I was wondering Icox1129 if you would send a pic of your hearth during the day so i can see the colors better. Thank you so much.

• lcox1129
    3 years ago

• lcox1129
    3 years ago

• kswartzon
    3 years ago

Thank you so much that was so helpful. I really appreciate it.

• PRO
    Ozone Pools and Outdoor Living
    2 years ago

Murcott I love your exterior. Can’t see grout, this is Grand Banks and kept tight?

• Renee Ande Yo
    2 years ago

Thank you all for your input and pictures. We are building a new home and want to use Grand Banks on the exterior, but it was difficult to find anything until I saw this page on Houzz. I'll post pictures when we are done with our project in 2022. The lead time for El Dorado Stone is 16 to 32 weeks right now.

• Ashley Aulie
    2 years ago

hello, do you happen to have exterior pictures of your El dorado stone yet?

• 615shopper
    2 years ago

• 615shopper
    2 years ago

I like that this stone has no yellow or gold. You could make it look lighter by using a lighter color mortar.

• marywilga11
    2 years ago

Do you possibly have any more photos you can send of the front of your home thats direct light? I love this stone but having a hard time convincing my husband of it. Thank you. My email is marywilga11@gmail.com. Mary

• H W
    2 years ago

615shopper. Is this the Grand Banks Limestone from Eldorado? It looks so much dark that the in-person sample I saw. I love one of the samples on the wall at the stone store. However the sample in the box almost looked entirely white. I think it looks great with a little more color variation (as seen in most of the pictures on this thread). If anyone else has a picture that they could post, we would really appreciate it… 💜 We’ve been trying to build this house for two years now! Not the easiest during the pandemic but we’re almost there!

• Rileigh Hansen
    2 years ago

What kind of stone did you use for the fireplace bench? The colors are perfect

• Zory
    last year

How long has everyone been waiting for their Eldorado stone?

the supplier said 16-18 weeks but could be more.

does anyone know of a similar looking stone to Grand Banks in another brand?

• Rileigh Hansen
    last year

What kind of stone did you use on the ledge?

• Rileigh Hansen
    last year

The fireplace bench

• Deb Dove
    last year

Grand Banks Limestone. Very happy with the blend of warm and cool stones.

• Zory
    last year

@Deb Dove what color ”grout” did you use in your fireplace? looks beautiful!

• Deb Dove
    last year

Thanks Zory. The mortar used is called White Glass Block Mortar. The installers had used Snowflake in the past and it came out as a greyish hue.

• Deb Banerjee Jayaram
    last year

@615shopper, would slso love to see a picture with direct light.

• Melissa Weatherall
    last year

We just had Grand Banks applied to our front facade as well as a fireplace in a screened porch. We chose a white mortar from our local stone yard and then had it mixed with white sand. This was key. At first the mason did a sample board for me with sand mixed in traditional “sand” color and the mortar was too beige/creamy.
    I’ve attached photos in different lighting.

• Deb Dove
    last year

Looks beautiful Melissa!!!

• Melissa Weatherall
    last year

Thank you, Deb!

• Zory
    last year

@Deb Dove

what color interior paint is everyone using with grand banks fireplace?

• Deb Dove
    last year

Hello Zory. Our entire home is painted Sherwin Williams Alabaster and our cabinets, doors and trim is Benjamin Moore Simply White.

• Tracy Smith
    last year

Don’t know if this is helpful but we are midway on our new fireplace renovation and I took a photo of the Grand Banks rock half with and half without the white glass block mortar.
    I was quite concerned the rock was the wrong color before it was applied. Now it’s exactly what I want.
    I’ll post once it’s all finished.

• donnamaree
    last year

Tracy, can you post photo of finished fireplace. Thanks

• Zory
    last year

@Melissa Weatherall what color white paint did you use?

• Melissa Weatherall
    last year

Hi Zory - I’ll be painting the room Chantilly Lace. It’s not done yet but I’ll post a pic when it is.

• Zory
    last year

@Melissa Weatherall what about your exterior white color?

• C A
    last year
    last modified: last year

This was a project we decided to take on ourselves and it is the first and last time we will ever build a wall like this! I so much respect for the art of masonry after tackling this ourselves. While I loved all of the finished photos of this stone, I honestly did not love the color of the stones as they were going up. It felt very dark. We decided to over grout and wipe a very small amount of that extra grout (we actually used mortar) on the face of the stones which really lightened them up. I do love how it turned out!

• Sarah
    last year
    last modified: last year

@C A - Is this the ED Grand Banks Limestone? What color grout and sand did you use for this? It looks great, and is exactly the tone I'm going for with the over grout too!

• C A
    last year

@Sarah, Thanks so much! It actually turned out better than we expected. Yes, It's El Dorado Grand Banks Limestone. When the pieces arrived I thought they made an accident and we received the wrong product, they looked like cheap granite. I wasn't very excited with the wall until our happy accident of over-grouting. We knew we wanted a soft white grout color but didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on pre-colored grout so we played with adding different amounts of brown permacolor grout to white mortar. We'd put some on a stone and let it dry overnight. We came to the ratio of 1/2 cup Laticrete Permacolor grout in Tawny for each 44 lb bag of Mapei White Keraflex SG Mortar. We mixed the dry mixture fully to avoid color pockets before adding water. We piped the mortar in and when it was still a bit soft we wiped it with a wet sponge allowing some of the residue to settle on top of the stones.

• Michelle Scott
    11 months ago

I had the same problem in 2021 finding samples for the elderado stone Austin cream in the same series.Took 3 months to be shipped to Alaska and I could only find grey mortar here in Alaska.

Sponsored
More Discussions