0
cactusmcharris

Sedum makinoi 'Ogon' - is anyone growing it?

Can you tell me your experiences with its cold-hardiness? The label and the Web say it's a Z6 plant, but I wonder if it would make it through our winters with it leaf-mulched? It's such a delightful wee gem. Pic from Dave's Garden.

Thank you,

Jeff

• rina_Ontario,Canada

I am not sure about it's hardiness - I had it and it didn't survive first winter in my zone. Obviously, there could have been other reasons...:)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Thanks, Rina. I’m pretty sure you get more time icy conditions than I do.

• Neil

Love this little plant with its chartreuse coloring. Needs more water than most other succulents and for me 5 years in a row lost to high heat and sun. Best if in bright shade. Not sure about its cold-hardiness. They sometimes sell them in flats here at some BBstores. Let me know if you want me to look for some to send to you.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Regardless of the particular selection or species, I find sedums don’t appreciate mulch, particularly in cold weather when the mulch doesn’t dry out. So I would expect that mulching it for the winter would be likely to induce rotting even in sedums that are fully hardy, based on my experience.