Your shopping cart is empty.
cactusmcharris

Sedum makinoi 'Ogon' - is anyone growing it?

Can you tell me your experiences with its cold-hardiness? The label and the Web say it's a Z6 plant, but I wonder if it would make it through our winters with it leaf-mulched? It's such a delightful wee gem. Pic from Dave's Garden.

Thank you,

Jeff

Comments (4)

• rina_Ontario,Canada

I am not sure about it's hardiness - I had it and it didn't survive first winter in my zone. Obviously, there could have been other reasons...:)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Thanks, Rina. I’m pretty sure you get more time icy conditions than I do.

• Neil

Love this little plant with its chartreuse coloring. Needs more water than most other succulents and for me 5 years in a row lost to high heat and sun. Best if in bright shade. Not sure about its cold-hardiness. They sometimes sell them in flats here at some BBstores. Let me know if you want me to look for some to send to you.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Regardless of the particular selection or species, I find sedums don’t appreciate mulch, particularly in cold weather when the mulch doesn’t dry out. So I would expect that mulching it for the winter would be likely to induce rotting even in sedums that are fully hardy, based on my experience.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).