0
bkwyrme

Help with purple-and-green leaf plant ID

bookwyrme
last modified: June 10, 2019

This is tantalizingly familiar, but I cannot ID it. The leaves are shiny, not fuzzy.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)

I think it's a Plectranthus, aka Swedish Ivy or Creeping Charlie. The leaves are usually darker green & in good light, closer together. Is it in some kind of dark corner?

I've never seen one w/ colored veining like that, very interesting.

• bookwyrme

It came from a garage sale. I really don't know where it's been.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

The veins go red and leaves go pale if the plant has insufficient nutrients. Often seen in potbound, hungry specimens.

• bookwyrme

There are actual purple leaves in there, though, so in light of Karen's suggestion, I'm thinking maybe Purple Swedish Ivy

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)

The leaves in pic above vs. your pic bookwyrme look very different to me, in pattern & texture.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

No, it definitely isn't Plectranthus australis. Completely wrong leaf shape, size and texture. It's just a sickly Plectranthus verticilliatus.

eta it is very easy to root from cuttings. You'll find that, if potted into a good mix and fed and watered well, new plants will revert to glossy deep green. It's only those colours because its starving.

• bookwyrme

Okay. I'll try pinching it back and giving it some TLC. Thank you.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)

These also water root very easily, tho' it's best to do it w/ healthy material. But it couldn't hurt to try a few water rooted cuttings from those longer lengths.

Personally I'd cut it back pretty drastically, toss the worse growth & water root the rest for new sections to restart it under better conditions. Take off the bottom pair of leaves so there's an inch or 2 of bare stem in the water. Use cuttings maybe 3" long.