0
ffjunk

cabinet crown molding or house crown molding?

ffjunk

I have a kitchen with a window between the cabinets. do I run the cabinet crown molding (2 1/4in shaker) along the ceiling above that window or run the house crown molding (5 1/4 colonial)?

• 2ManyDiversions

Use that which is already in your kitchen - the cabinet crown molding. It'll be cohesive.

ffjunk thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • jrbwalley

We were just faced with this same decision. I chose to use the larger crown that is in the rest of the house and am glad I did, I think it looks great. But I'm sure either would be fine. They asked us which we wanted and they seemed to indicate they thought using the same as the cabinets would be best, but it looked too small to me, like cabinet molding instead of ceiling. It might depend on how high your ceilings are and how much space you have over the window, too - we have 9' ceilings and there is about a foot of so of space above the cabinets, plenty for the larger crown.

ffjunk thanked jrbwalley
  • ffjunk

Thank you @2manydiversions and @jrbwalley for your thoughts and so quickly!!! Much appreciated as I need to give GC my decision soon haha. I have 8 feet ceiling and my cabinet molding is right up on the ceiling. It's fascinating to hear different rationales, all of which makes sense. My sister likes the cabinet molding for cohesiveness. I thought I needed to put colonial because only the cabinets have the shaker molding and everywhere else is colonial. I wonder if it'll look like a mistake if there was no crown molding at all! lol

• jrbwalley

That was another options we considered, none at all. I'm so glad we went with what we did, it looks lovely to me. They used "stop blocks" where the larger size met the smaller size, I can try to get a picture later for you so you can see how it looks.

• ffjunk

Oh yes, please! Thank you for any pics!! I'm not at the house right now otherwise I would've attached a photo to get folks' input!!

• 2ManyDiversions

ffjunk, of course it's a personal choice, but thought I should add, we have a situation similar to yours, with a pass-through window between painted cabinets, as well as a pocket door between a cabinet and a cabinet pantry. Our cabinet crown molding, and our whole house crown molding are the same heights, but different cuts, so the choice was easier for us - keep the same crown molding throughout the kitchen, though it is open concept. We are using stop blocks at the pocket door crown as the pantry is a stained along with the crown molding above it, and the cabinet adjacent is painted, along with the crown above that. The trim around the door will be painted the same as the cabinet/cabinet crown molding. Our ceilings are 9'. We are also using a stop block where the whole house crown meets the kitchen cabinetry crown - it would be very difficult to both cope and scribe the crowns to match and we prefer the stop blocks. I don't have photos as we are still in the midst of remodeling and our cabinet maker has yet to bring and install the stop blocks.

• nhbaskets

In our previous home, we ran the cabinet crown (shaker) in between the cabs. Also ran this around the chimney vent.

• ffjunk

thank you @nhbaskets for sharing your pics!!! it really helps a newbie like me. (we just bought our home and it's my first remodeling experience... never done this remodeling thing before which is both a wonderful opportunity but oh so overwhelming!)

The Cook's Kitchen

The moldings should be the same profile, which makes the install seamless. We used the cabinet crown around the whole kitchen here, changing colors when appropriate. It’s a seamless, integrated look.

Light and Bright in Collierville · More Info

• wilson853

I would use the cabinet crown. We have 9'ceilings with a very tall window between our cabinets. Running our cabinet crown would have left a sliver between the crown and the window trim so we choose not to do any crown above the window. We took out a header and half wall between the kitchen and family room so we have the same crown over the cabinets, breakfast area and family room. Although I did not do this, here is another option. I like the look of the tile around the window.

Marvin arched custom window · More Info