Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstinamichelle

Bathroom Remodel help, ideas and plans

Tina S
4 years ago

Soon we'll be gutting and remodeling this bathroom (8' x 11' approx.) with the goal of making it look super nice and be done correctly this time around. From the cabinet wall to the tub wall is 73". I hate that cabinet (it doesn't even go all the way to the back wall). I hate the size and the doors. Im going to do away w/the fiberglass tub/surround combo and instead do a tub w/tile. So do you think this is doable in this amount of space? Do you think maybe I need to extend into the wall on the right side of the tub? On that side is what we call the freezer room. There is some room to move forward but not a whole lot. It really looks like too much trouble, but we're going to have to take the drywall off anyways since it wasn't done correctly. So what would you do with this area of the bath room?

My other issue is the tub itself. I have trouble getting out of it once Im in it. The tub is 55" long approx. and 16" high. This is a bathroom near the kids bedroom, but we use it because our master bathroom is not completed yet. What options do I have here? When I look at tubs they all seem so small. This one is about 12 years old. What kind of tub should I get? I think we've always had fiberglass, but we've lived in trailers most of the time so and I don't remember what my house tub was like when I was younger.

Notes: We are redoing the walls (patching, texture, repaint, etc.). I plan to have wood look tile flooring and repainting the door. Other than a new vanity and maybe lights the biggest issue is the tub area.

Thank you all. Ive also included some ideas too. Thanks!

Tina

Bathroom Ideas · More Info

My Current bathroom....

My House · More Info

Comments (14)

• badabing2
    4 years ago

I recently decided to lose the tub for a tiled shower and couldn't be happier. My space is 32" x 60" and is plenty large for a comfortable shower.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

what cabinet? All I see is a shower curtain. (you mean the tiny bit of oak cabinet off to the left?) Post better pictures.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did have a better photo, but Houzz chopped it down.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

try posting it here in comments

• acm
    4 years ago

Yeah, we need more pictures of your bathroom just to make sense of what you're describing, let alone give you any advice!

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My House · More Info

My House · More Info

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    4 years ago

the curtain is cute!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

If you have trouble getting up and out of the tub, it may be time for you to stop using the tub. Knee issues made me stop using the tub, and I really do enjoy the shower more than I ever liked a tub since I was a kid. A nice 3x3’ or 3x4’ properly and professionally built and tiled shower with a bench seat, a nice niche for hair products and soap bar, a good wall-mounted showerhead and a vertically adjustable hand-held wand, with a glass door is wonderful.

• ptreckel
    4 years ago

If you must keep a bath in this room, you might think about building the wall up on the left side to the ceiling. Depending on the space available to the left where your oak cabinet is located, I suggest inserting a ceiling height kitchen pantry cabinet with pull out shelves there. They can be the depth of the tub area and, when pulled out, you will be able to access things in the back of the cabinet. If you opt for a shower rather than a bath in this room, the the width of your stall is up to you...and you could even go with a wider pantry cabinet. I suggest, too, that you place a water rated recessed light above the shower/bath area for additional lighting in the space. I love your inspiration photos!

• ptreckel
    4 years ago

Sorry...I just noted in your updated photos that you already have a recessed light above your bath!

• Barbara Almandarz
    4 years ago

It appears the tub you currently have now is smaller than a standard tub. Standard tubs are 60" long. I'm not sure what your issues are with getting up out of the tub. Is it due to your physical limitations, or is it that the tub is undersized? Considering this is Not your master bath and only a temporary bath that you use, consider the use of this bathroom down the road for children, bathing little ones etc. (Consider resale).

Simply for looks, I'd eliminate that wood cabinet that is taking up an odd space. Add a standard size tub. Tile the surrounding walls all the way up to the ceiling. You should be able to build in space there for shampoo/conditioner; soap; bubble bath etc. That will give a much bigger visual look to that area. I don't know what the rest of your bathroom looks like, but if you need storage space, consider a free-standing cabinet that would face the toilet. (Looks like your hamper is there currently?). Do you have storage beneath the sink? I'd get as large a cabinet there as space will allow for storage. Do you have a built-into the wall medicine cabinet? Depending on the age of your kids, I'd change the shower curtain to something less busy - preferably one solid Light color. Good luck!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

If the wallboard wasn’t “done right the first time”, do you mean that none of the walls were waterproof cement board, even behind the tile work? If that is the case, you have no choice but to gut it and have it done properly by a licensed contractor or tile company.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

To answer all so far...Yea this is the kids bathroom near their bedrooms, so we do want to keep the tub. Yes there is waterproof cement board in this bathroom, however it was hung before the tub/shower was installed. Currently it’s a fiberglass tub with fiberglass tub wall insert. The sink area is just a two door two small drawer cabinet from a local builder supply I guess. The mirror is a large mirror hanging on the wall with a light over it. Nothing much to it than that. The bathroom is 12 years old and needs updated badly. No medicine cabinet and once a towel bar hung on that left wall in front of the cabinet. No other places to store, hang or put towels. This is why I’m looking for ideas. As far as the tub goes, I’m just older now. Its harder for me to get out of tubs and off of the floor. I just felt the tub was smaller and thought maybe there is one that sits higher.

So far I’m thinking of going with a 60” tub. I’ll tile up the wall and put in the shelf for shampoo and the like. I think I’ll put the towel closet/shelf in the front area of the shower. I’m sure it won’t look as cute as this photo example, but you know what I’m talking about. Put in new flooring. Buy or Build a new cabinet, but will probably leave the mirror and change out the lights. Texture and paint walls.

Morris House · More Info

Ethridge | Interior | New Construction · More Info

My bathroom looks similar to this below.

My Houzz: Eclectic, Farmhouse-Inspired Style in Florida · More Info

St Clarens renovation · More Info