0
suiteamour95

I am decorating a vacation rental bedroom

Judy Bombay
last modified: June 11, 2019

Good afternoon.

I am decorating a cottage for a vacation rental and having trouble decorating around or over this new headboard. Bought a canvas but way too big for the headboard and ceiling height

• Oliviag/ bring back Sophie

Well, for starts, the picture is blurry. And incomplete. Ceiling height? Could you show us more of the room?
    The lamps look tiny and insubstantial, next to the headboard. I see they still have tags. They're cute, but I would return them.

• Oliviag/ bring back Sophie

oops, no tag? thats an outlet..

• Judy Bombay

great so I am happy ts get new lamps and Thank you for some advise. I will try to get a better shot

• Lil S

Can you take a picture from further back? Maybe art about 2/3 the width of the headboard. The lamps are cute, but I'm afraid they won't put out enough light.

Judy Bombay thanked Lil S
  • Judy Bombay

Thank you and you all are wonderful to take the time to help

• Judy Bombay

The space is quite small so having troubles finding side table that worked. Its more like a weekend B&B so people are in and out generally in a weekend.

• Judy Bombay

People generally like to have their own so the space is limited

• Lil S

Now that I can see the 2nd picture with the horse art, I don't think you need anything over the bed. The mattress pad looks comfy :)

• homechef59

I've owned and run a successful bed and breakfast. The key to success is to first make a list of all of the items usually found in a hotel room. These are the functional items, bed, mattress, linens, lamps, chairs, window coverings, night lights, luggage stands, etc. Repeat this process for the bath.

Second, don't overwhelm the guest with frou frou, chachkies and perfume. Make the room calm, serene, simple, luxurious and functional. Aim for visually relaxing.

I preferred to use white sheets, white towels, and white washable bedspread. Matelassé is a great material for bedspreads. Chairs should be functional with good lighting nearby. I preferred a solid color upholstery in order to keep the visuals simple. You must visually communicate clean, dirt free and dust free.

Select items that will survive multiple launderings. Keep the table tops free of clutter. Only necessary items such as alarm clocks, remotes or brochures should be on the table top.

Simple, inviting, bright and clean.

• Judy Bombay

it is and sorry for not having it made up as it would have looked lots better. I am not happy with the color but due to some health issues it had to wait. I seen an idea about something behind the area where the lamps are that draws your eye up . They used mirrors but what about something else? Or do you think with different lamps with shades will make a better impact as I have to clean clean clean so dont want too many things that isn't able to be wiped down.

• Not a Pro

following

• Judy Bombay

Any thoughts on Lamp ideas?

• Oliviag/ bring back Sophie

Hanging lamps or wall lamps could free up valuable real estate on the small tables.

• Judy Bombay

I like the sound of wall sconces however trying to find an electrician on this Island is ....... hanging lamps would add some visual without the clutter.

• homechef59

The lamps are too small. They are too easy to knock over at night in a dark room that is unfamiliar. I would suggest a lamp that has more weight. Then, select a pair of pictures and frames to hang above the lamps. Select something longer rather than wider. Local scenes or work by a local artist with a nearby shop are nice features.

Consider a large basket to go underneath the table.

Do you have any photos of the room from another angle?

• Judy Bombay

thank you and I agree.

• apple_pie_order

Palladian blue may be a better paint color if you will be repainting. I'd do exactly what homechef59 says about the furnishings. Add a power strip on each side of the bed. You'll need two luggage racks if you want to minimize suitcases thrown on top of your bedding.

• Judy Bombay

what color should I get for the lamp shade . I was considering a light color a light and airy feel. I found this color with more grey in it called Seal Salt. and will try to take a picture from another angle. Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it!!

• Judy Bombay

whoops Sea Salt . time to wear my glasses