0
neen_5mi

Can you ID this tree?

neen_5mi

This sapling volunteered just outside my front door, Michigan, zone 5, part sun. An oak volunteered in the same personal space. I need to decide whether to remove one or let them fight it out. The oak is too close to the house, but will not be an issue in my lifetime, ;-)

• carol23_gw

Acer campestre ?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

It's a lovely little tree which is one of the few to have reliable autumn colour in my climate. But I would move it somewhere it could be appreciated. Not outside the front door and not next to an oak.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

in my part of MI ... oaks can grow 3 to 5 feet per year ... and should not be closer than 15 to 30 feet from the house ... i would not allow a babe .. to grow to any size.. because i wont be around to get rid of it ...

what you can do today.. FOR FREE .. will cost someone a lot of money down the line ... just move it .. or get rid of it ...

same with this one ... youre kinda vague on 'out the front door'.. but i would make sure its at least 10 or more feet from the house ... im pretty sure it does not have the potential an oak has....

also.. i am not one to fall in love... with plants that free seed themselves into my garden... if there is one.. there is the potential for hundreds more ... not to mention the fact that.. yours will start seeding around.. sooner or later.. so why encourage it ...

much depends on how big your garden is.. what is not a problem on 5 acres ... might be a big deal on a small suburban lot ...

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

No, it doesn't gave the potential of an oakbut ten feet from the house would still be very close. 20 more like.

• neen_5mi

Thank you all for your help and input. I'm lucky in that I have 20 acres to play with, but in that space I emphasize natives. The oak wins. I have few enough oaks in my landscape, and they are so valuable in the ecological food chain, that I will leave it for now. In my experience, even the smallest oak seedling has a tap root that makes relocation impossible. This one is 12 feet from the roofline (trunk). Another oak sapling is growing 30 feet further out. Perhaps I'll establish a smaller native tree nearby to take its place when I decide it has to go.

Mary

• bengz6westmd

Deer chewing on it? (2nd pic)

• neen_5mi

I noticed that after posting! It is certainly a possibility, but more likely my goats. They occasionally leave their fenced area and head quickly toward the house and desirable (to me) plant material. 20 acres up for grabs and they choose the cultivated stuff! I would be surprised to see deer that close to the house, but absolutely possible.