toronado3800

Metasequoia foliage unprepared for sun?

This is a rooted cutting off my big tree which I kept in pot until last fall when a space opened up.
Any metasequoias I keep in pots I put in relatively shaded locations. The only one I've lost was in a pot in tbe sun back in the day and I have a theory about hot roots. Anyways? They just grow too fast in the sun.
Given its life in the shade until this year and the lighter color of its foliage I'm concerned its actually burning a little. Is this an issue for normally sun tolerant species which were growing in shade I assume?
The is a green ash stump about fifteen feet away. Its roots are no doubt still pumping and beginning to rot if that isna concern.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    last year

Pics. Its a regular species rooted cutting btw. I have been unable to root my Ogon....which doesn't burn lol.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

your words confuse me ... which is getting easier and easier ... lol...

its a deciduous tree .. isnt it ... at least for me in MI it is ...

if so ... the sun tolerance of last years leaves.. seems like it should be moot ... once it leafs out in new conditions.. those leaves should be tolerant to the new light variable ...

or i am just totally missing the issue.. and beg your forgiveness ...

ken

ps: what are the white things on top of the fence posts ... lol

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

unless you arent talking about Metasequoia glyptostroboides .. dawn redwood ... which is what i am thinking about ...

ken

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    last year

It is Metasequoia glyptostroboides and they drop their leaves in the fall here also Ken.

Yeah, I wasn't ready for it to look like it might burn either. I have 3 others in at least this much sun. This is the only one I know is a rooted cutting. My big one is an arbor day tree. I jave one from a bundle of 100 from Musser and an Ogon graft from Forest Farm.

The yellow things on the stakes are tennis balls. This is near where the kids play. I'd hate to have the 8 year old tackle me into a stake or the 3 year old to go falling onto a stake. I just remember the older kid when he was learning how to walk, he'd fall head first towards the rocker recliner's lever. Maybe its yellow fuzz from the balls making them leaves lighter!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

well .... if you rule out a cold event after leaf out ... which you dont give any history of ...

and you rule out sunburn.. since its deciduous ...

seems to me.. all thats left.. is transplant stresses .. of which.. it will get over it... probably by next season ... or the year following.. whenever it gets 'established'... as we say ...

all that said ... i cant really see the issue raised .. so its minor.. and perhaps you are just a bit hyper sensitive to looking for a problem ...

i presumed it was a safety issue... just couldnt figure on tennis balls.. sorta looked like you had shrooms growing on top of metal poles.. lol ...

ken

Sponsored Story
Pristine Acres
Pro Spotlight: Unearth a Backyard Made for Your Outdoor Lifestyle