Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mintonmattson

Cherry cabinets, marmoleum floors, light or dark countertops?

rae mattson
4 years ago

I have a design question, we are going with cherry cabinets (natural stain), want marmoleum floors and trying to figure out countertops. A picture is attached of the flooring colors we are deciding between, cabinet door and some quartz we are looking at. Quartz one the top, flooring in the middle and sample cabinet door on the bottom.

Any insight to the flooring and countertop tones would be super helpful. Even backsplash, I just haven't gotten that far yet. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• felizlady
    4 years ago

I don’t like any of the quartz colors. The flooring sample at the far right looks much better than the other three. The other three are too orange, too yellow and too dark. Once you select flooring, select quartz which matches one of the colors in the marmoleum. To avoid the trauma of trying to find a backsplash which goes with the quartz, I suggest you use the same quartz for the backsplash.

• teddytoo
    4 years ago

Out of the selections shown...far right for flooring and second from the right counter.

• teamaltese
    4 years ago

The flooring on the far right, and soapstone, or a quartz that looks like soapstone, would be beautiful.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

the 3rd counter[light one] and 3rd floor[dark one]. Simple classic of your choices....gives room for backsplash, lighting, hardware details to go further with the looks if you desire. cherry kitchens can be played casual or a little "dressed up" . I don't know what your themes are...but I like those two and they give you a lot of "room". You do know esp w natural stain you must accept changes that occurr w coloring of your cab. By staining a deeper shade you mitigate this some. Whatever your decision .....nuance of shades for floor /counter can befuddle if you try too hard. Simple and classic....but still gives you options.

• salex
    4 years ago

Agreed with previous comments - none of those counters. However, I prefer the far left flooring option, with the far right second. I don't like either of the middle flooring options and think any potential clash with the cherry cabinets will only get worse as the cherry darkens with age.

• jemimabean
    4 years ago

I agree that none of the counter samples are the right thing for the floor/cabinet samples shown. The floor and cabinet are both really warm while all of the counter samples are cool and feel like a clash to me. I love the idea of soapstone with those cabinets, and the idea of slate tile for the floor.

• rae mattson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it and agree the light countertops aren’t making me swoon. I have been looking at PaperStone and have sent away for sample colors. I figure darker would be better. We have hardwood in the living and dining room which open to the kitchen, but a bank of cabinets make the floors only connect 4’. I have had wood in my kitchen and don’t want to go that route again. My spouse wants cherry again and I’m good with that. I love marmoleum, it’s just hard to find the right color and I really don’t want grey floors. Thanks again!

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

• lurkerlisa
    4 years ago

I am obviously a fan of dark with cherry. The counters are soapstone.

My Kitchen · More Info

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Far right marmoleum and agree about soapstone counters.