tartanmeup

Top/down cellular shades - Blinds to Go

tartanmeup

Considering top/down cellular shades from Blinds to Go for the living room. Is there anything about this type of blind/shade that I should know about? Did a quick research here and someone mentioned condensation on a window with the blind. The company guarantees the mechanical parts for life but not the fabric. Should that worry me? Will the fabric (polyester) disintegrate after a few years? It's supposed to be an energy efficient option, keeping the room cooler in the summer but it doesn't say anything about UV protection. Does anyone know of a UV protection top/down window covering option? Anyone make solar shades with this mechanism? Would appreciate any insights on these.

• tartanmeup

These are the shades we're considering.

• Dawn Norton

I have top/down cellular blinds in all my rooms. My are also blackout. Really keep our heat and cold. They are very sturdy.

tartanmeup thanked Dawn Norton
  • tartanmeup

Do you vacuum them regularly, Dawn? Salesperson told me they're made to repel dirt and dust.

• efayen

Hello- we had these same shades in the top down/bottom up version in our last house. Good insulation from the summer sun and not a single problem in 10 years. Good luck!

tartanmeup thanked efayen
  • tartanmeup

From the same company, efayen?

• efayen

Yes

tartanmeup thanked efayen
  • tartanmeup

Fantastic! Thanks so much. :)

• Queen OfPrincesses

I have TDBU blackout cellular shades. They are great for heat and cold not coming though the glass into the room. I do have the issue of condensation on my master bedroom window. The window is the issue though. I need to replace it. That being said, because the blinds keep the moisture and heat between it and the glass, I now have mildew on the caulking of the window.
    Still wouldn’t be without TDBU cellular shades in the desert I live in though

tartanmeup thanked Queen OfPrincesses
  • Amy Lydia

What is the link to the website ? Do you have a photo? Thanks!

• ptreckel

FYI: Some Cellular blinds can be washed. I have done this with mine. You just fill up a bath tub with hot water and dish washing soap and put the blinds in the tub, raising and lowering the blinds to permit the water to fill the cells and drain out. When the water runs clean, hang them up to drain dry.

tartanmeup thanked ptreckel
  • tartanmeup

I never would have imagined this, ptreckel! Thanks for sharing.

• Dawn Norton

Tartanmeup... I have two cats that shed terribly. I’ve never noticed any collection of dust or pet hair on the blinds. They also provide good privacy for me. I live in a one floor, corner condo. My sunroom is adjacent to the neighborhood turn around. Because I can lower the blinds from the top, I still get daylight without neighbors being able to see into my sunroom. Definitely one of the best home improvement purchases I’ve ever made.

tartanmeup thanked Dawn Norton
  • Dawn Norton

Bought mine from Home Depot.

tartanmeup thanked Dawn Norton
  • Springroz

I have had the name brand and the generic brand....the generic brand had some of the cells glued together, and the glue discolored and separated. I love the top down style!!

tartanmeup thanked Springroz
  • dedtired

I have them in my den. I think they are hunter douglas. They were great although I replaced them with cafe shutters and a Roman shade on top. The only thing you have to get used to is lots of strings, although that never bothered me.

tartanmeup thanked dedtired
  • tartanmeup

I was planning on getting the cordless style, dedtired. I understand there are still strings in the middle?

• dedtired

Oh mine were not cordless. Mine had one set of cords on the right to pull them up and another set on the left to lower the top down. In addition, when the top part was lowered there were strings in the middle that lifted/lowered them. Mine were old. They are probably improved now.

tartanmeup thanked dedtired
  • pennydesign

Well, not BTG but I got mine from Select Blinds...and mine are top down bottom up roman blinds. I was going to get cellular, but to me they look and feel like paper...and the "fabric" ones...I wouldn't call them fabric...

Have you gotten samples or are you just thinking about it?

tartanmeup thanked pennydesign
  • tartanmeup

Had the salesperson come by last week. Samples are in the mail. I know what you mean by the "fabric" not feeling like fabric. Didn't realize top down bottom up roman blinds existed..!

ETA: Penny, did Select Blinds send someone to your place or do you measure everything and order the blinds yourself?

• pennydesign

We measured and ordered online. Easy to hang...fit was perfect.

tartanmeup thanked pennydesign
  • MR W

I have the top down/bottom up accordion style blinds from Graber. I bought them through Costco and they sent a representative to measure and install. I have been very satisfied with them for four years in Hawaii.

tartanmeup thanked MR W
  • Amy Lydia

Good to know @pennydesign

• hcbm

I have 4 very large 48 X 95 inch cellular blinds from Blinds to Go. I did not get top down. Mine are white but appear slightly gray because they are black out blinds and lined inside the cells with silver. I have Hunter Douglas in my other rooms. The difference I have found is in the strings. The Blinds to Go use white strings for the pulls and they get dirty, Hunter Douglas uses ball chain and is a continuous loop. The Blinds to Go have had to be repaired. The blinds got shorter and shorter over time and uneven. It seems the strings inside were catching or shrinking. I must say that the company repaired them and quickly, but I had climb up 12 feet to take them down and put them up again several days later and in the mean time I had no window covering in my bedroom. For me the price difference was worth buying Hunter Douglas. I purchased them through Home Depot.

Also the Blinds to Go installer was horrible and they had to send me someone else to fix the initial install twice. Also the first batch of delivered shades were incorrectly measured. The Home Depot installer was very professional and timely.

tartanmeup thanked hcbm
  • tartanmeup

hcbm, do you recall if the delivery time for the blinds was similar with both companies?

• wdccruise

I bought Bali DiamonCell cellular shades from blinds.com. Bali was the only company that offered 3 shades on one head rail which is what I wanted as my bedroom is in three sections. I bought blackout blinds for the bedroom.

Note: I used an inside mount and wanted the "stack" to be as short as possible so the least amount of window was covered (by the head rail, collapsed fabric, and bottom rail) when the blinds were open. If you want that, you must select the standard "cord lift"; if you select another option such as the "cordless lift" or motorized, the stack will be longer and more of the window will be covered. Of course, the taller the window, the larger the stack.

tartanmeup thanked wdccruise
  • Queen OfPrincesses

Id honestly steer clear of selectblinds.com. I bought multiple blinds through them. They ALL failed at least once in the first 2 years. Some failed about every 8-9 months. They’d send me new blinds without issue while under warranty. But, I asked them what could be done about the one larger top down bottom up blackout and they said nothing. It’s because the blond was large and heavy. Then why do you allow it? I asked. They said thy knew it was an issue but would only remake it as the original so I kept having to order new blinds. Now that the warranty is up, I’m looking at other companies. They were the cheapest but the blinds just don’t hold up to daily use.

tartanmeup thanked Queen OfPrincesses
  • Queen OfPrincesses

Mary, what kind of prices did Costco offer?

• hcbm

The Home Depot order took longer than Blinds to Go, but I don't remember how much longer. And with all the issues I had the Blinds to Go it took much longer to get right. To be fair I have unusually large windows and probably an unusually poor installer. He originally sent his 16 an 12 year old sons to install the blinds. I am sure I had a very unusually experience.

tartanmeup thanked hcbm
  • tartanmeup

I looked at Hunter Douglas' site last night and they seem to offer options Blinds to Go doesn't. A Hunter Douglas rep is scheduled for next Friday and I'm wondering if I should wait to see exactly what they offer and compare properly to BTG. We're getting impatient to get this done. Any idea on the price difference?

• hcbm

I know Hunter Douglas is more expensive, but I don't remember how much. The everyday use of the loop chain as compared to the string is worth the difference to me. Also The fabric and finish is nicer. Home Depot is cheaper than Hunter Doulas directly. Home Depot has a line made by Hunter Douglas that uses a different name. I can't remember the name. I truly am not a fan of Home Depot, but in this instance they were the best for me.

I know we get impatient to finish our homes sometimes. Remember that a rush can be a mistake. Blinds to Go may be your best choice for the money. Please just make sure that is true.

• lizbeth-gardener

I have Hunter Douglas TDBU cellular shades. They do not have the loop chain. I don't think you could have that with a TDBU shade. I've had them for 9-10 years and they are still in good shape. The only thing I've ever needed to do was replace the little plastic grips on the pull string and they were quick to send out free replacements. They have a multitude of choices in color, fabric and style.