kathyjacree

need help with living room remodel. Is this the right rug?

Kathy Acree

I’ve purchased 7x10 rug that can be returned. Is this the right size? Color? Fireplace bricks will be painted white, with mantel added. New chair and coffee table help needed also. Dining room chandelier ideas? Any ideas helpful!

• nitemareontaftpl

I really like the color of the blue as shown on this thread too!

• Kathy Acree

The blue rug was true to its color on Wayfair. I just didn’t like it once in was in my living room. Table color was off and actually too small

Flo Mangan

You will find the right one in right size. When you get bigger size you will say “oh yeah that is so much better!” 9x12 might be large enough but you might need 10x13-14.

• everdebz

Haven't been on, but will say that the brick is so earthy, and seems rug should be like your initial one [very neutral], or new one that has enough earthy in it also... the dark mirror frame also adds dark to that wall.

• nitemareontaftpl

I still like the idea of a round table--Kathy have you tried Chairish? It can be dicey because its a no return--I bought some dining chairs (pre-owned designer) and I love them! EVERY time I look at them they make me smile.

• nitemareontaftpl

Have you entertained the idea of just lightening the earthy colors? I'm w you I don't care for the white.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Lovely room. Here are some other options for you to consider.

I have changed a few items in your room. I wonder if finding a rug that extend from the seating area to the TV area wouldn't help fhe areas connect. I tried to pick up some of the color of your fireplace in my selections.

Flo Mangan

I think that last one is the best and kind of similar to the one she liked but is too small. What is the source for that one?

• Kathy Acree

Thank you Beverly and Flo. I made a huge investment on the floors. I don’t want to cover too much up. Im thinking of moving the tv to above the mantel. It won’t be as comfortable viewing because it’s a bit too high for me, but I don’t like it where it is.
    Here’s a rug I found at rugs USA. What do you think? I discovered they have “see rug in room” feature.

• Kathy Acree

One more

BeverlyFLADeziner

I like those rugs. It's similar to the first one I picked for your room. I just didn't know if you were married to the monochromatic color scheme which also works for your room.

I'd get a better plant for the corner or change it out to a floor lamp and balance the other side of the FP with some wall decor.

• everdebz

I said 'bingo' when I saw beautifully chosen Bev's first rug - it complements the fireplace well [and door frame]. But I wear those colors and want them to sing out.

• everdebz

Strong shapes of mirror/brick and sofa seem to not mix with those rugs with intricate patterns.... do you love the mirror there?

• wmsimons85

Just saw this thread, beautiful room and beautiful rug choices. I like your last rug but agree that it is probably too small. Think it would look much better if it was wider and went under the sofa more.

• nitemareontaftpl

Kathy, (and its ALL about personal preference NOT what we like) Of the two Most recent choices you posted, the first one (despite its small size) has a better pattern. Otherwise Beverly FLAdesigner nailed it with that photo shop. just an observation, a round coffee table breaks up ALL those linear lines--sofa, bricks, doors etc.

• Kathy Acree

The mirror is not staying. I’m enlarging photo of my ballerina granddaughter at lake (posted earlier in thread) and seeing how it looks above fireplace unless I move TV there.
    Also, someone posted round stacking tables awhile back that I like for sofa area

• Kathy Acree

Flo, I’ve been looking at the first 2 tables you posted a while ago.

• Kathy Acree

I actually purchased the first rug I posted this morning but cancelled right away wondering if center would be off

• Kathy Acree

The last 2 rugs I posted were 9x12 so will be larger in reality than picture shows

• nitemareontaftpl

I understand--Groveraxle mentioned that in early posts. It can be exhausting trying to get the "right" look I hope we aren't adding to it!

• Kathy Acree

It’s all helpful.

• nitemareontaftpl

Katy, do you use the TV a lot? What about having it covered WITH one of your photos? I meant over the mantle if you're contemplating moving the TV to over the fireplace.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/hiding-your-flat-screen-tv-without-cutting-into-the-wall-contemporary-home-theater-orange-county-phvw-vp~848318

• nitemareontaftpl

I think you might want something a littler bigger and maybe feet--but I like the color.

• Kathy Acree

Groveraxle, any new ideas will be helpful. I liked the rug in the evening and in pics that I took. The shade of blue was a bit off during the day. Here’s a pic of the table. The color was different than pics at wayfair and it was too small.
    All comments are helpful. I’m learning.
    Thanks all

• Kathy Acree

nitemareontaftpl. Thanks for comment. I had to delete and repost. I keep forgetting to crop pics before posting and finally figured out how to edit

I like your earthy fireplace, it looks great to me in your room. Your floors are beautiful! Could you tell me what floors you used? Are they engineered hardwood?

• Kathy Acree

Thank you. I couldn’t be happier with my floors. They are engineered with a thick wear layer by “California Classics” Mediterranean collection. The color is Ligurian and they’re French oak. I’ve had them about 1 1/2 years and at times have had 10 grandkids running through the house. Not a scratch!!!

• Kathy Acree

HU. one more thing about the floors. I’ve never had anything so easy to care for. Doesn’t show dirt.

• Val B

I think the blue rug looks nice. I don’t mind the color of the table either, but it looks low for the sofa.

• Kathy Acree

Thank you. I like the rug in the picture also. It wasn’t that dark. I didn’t put legs on table because the color was different than what I ordered and it looked too small for the sofa

Kathy I'm looking to put floors like yours throughout my entire house. Are yours in the bathrooms and kitchen?

• groveraxle

Kathy, thanks for showing me the actual photo of the coffee table. That doesn't even look close to the photo on the website. Hard to tell on the rug, but you never know for sure how colors will play till you actually get them in your room.

• Kathy Acree

The rug was close to wayfair. Just didn’t go well for me. Looks different than pic

• Kathy Acree

HU, I have the floors in the kitchen also. There’s a pic on this thread. Make sure you have a great installer. Makes all the difference. They make me smile every day!!!!!

• Kathy Acree

And.....because of a discussion I posted on Houzz a few years ago I changed from dark hardwood floors to the light color. I am so happy with the lighter color.
    I am now changing my mind on painting the fireplace because of all the comments in this post. Now, to get the paint off the one brick that’s been there for over a year.

• nitemareontaftpl

I just bought a silk coverlet from Company Store once it got very reduced. The color was advertised as a Blue Haze but its really a gray. Looked totally different online--others commented about the same thing. But the color will work so I'm keeping it.

• nitemareontaftpl

I don't know what's the best approach for removing that paint but I use drywall screening to do a lot of things--including the TOILETS! It takes off mineral buildup on metals too. I'll take some fine scratching over the nasty mineral rings any day.

• Kathy Acree

Here are some of the ideas I love and rugs I found. The rugs, unfortunately are above my budget. $6,000 to $9,000. Once again, any ideas are so helpful. In the meantime, I better get off this darn phone!!!!!!!

• Kathy Acree

One more

Mark Audley for Ethan Allen

Kathy, The More Contemporary rug with the blues as an accent seems to be the correct sizing. The smaller rug in your initial picture is correct that it touches all pieces but cuts the room (making it feel smaller). As a rule I like area rugs to be under each piece, color, style is your call but I do like the addition of color to a neutral room. Good Luck and have a great day!

• Kathy Acree

The rugs in the last three pics were photoshopped. When I finally purchase one, it will be at least 9x12.

• Molly

I'm not sure what your budget is, but take a look at this site. Here is an example, all wool and hand knotted plus free shipping both ways. https://www.finerugcollection.com/collections/hand-knotted-rugs/products/serapi-oriental-rug-9x119

• Kathy Acree

Thanks Molly, I loved the site you recommended previously and the “see in room” feature. It’s where I found these rugs. Just over my budget
    I’ll try this one

• Kathy Acree

I meant to say the rugs I posted were between $1600-$9000. I’m wanting to stay below $600 if that’s possible.

• Molly

This one doesn’t have the see in your room feature unfortunately!

• nitemareontaftpl

@Groveraxle--where did you find the rug posted on June 15? It slipped my eye and I really like it.

It might could work for my house. Please if you can, send me the name of company or link.

• nitemareontaftpl

Its the one with this caption " June 15.

I kind of like this transitional rustic vibe you've got going here, so I didn't paint your fireplace or add a mantel. I like the way it echoes your front door. I replaced the rug with a Moroccan style 9 x 12, but I like your rug better.

I think you could use a swivel chair, and I replaced your coffee table with Crate & Barrel's Seguro. Also added frames and candles on the mantel and raised your drapes."

• wmsimons85

Is it this one

• groveraxle

@nightmare, the rug from June 15 was a Serapi frrom Manhattan Rugs. Don't know which one, but they have a bunch of them and their inventory turns over all the time. Choose Heriz/Serapi under the "Collections" tab, then filter by size.

• nitemareontaftpl

Yes this one--thank you I'll check it out asap!