Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbrzez572

open concept is too open

cbrzez572
4 years ago

I have a 2-story great room and attached sunroom. This is a new build. The views are all along the wall with the fireplace and I don't want to block those windows. I'm challenged with what furniture should in these ”2” rooms and where to place our tv. Help! (I'm attaching pictures from the house that ours is based on. Very similar. The sunroom is off to the side.)

Comments (15)

• calidesign
    4 years ago

It appears that your only option for the TV is above the fireplace. Not ideal, but better than blocking your windows. I would do a furniture grouping in front of the fireplace. It looks like two sofas and two chairs would fit, centered around a coffee table. You can place the sofas in an L shape with the chairs on one side, or put the sofas across from each other with the chairs on the end, like these photos. The area under the ceiling fan looks like a perfect spot for a long rectangular dining table.

Ross Hills · More Info

Chestnut Hill Traditional · More Info

• Tracey Woods
    4 years ago

Do you have a photo standing in the sunroom and looking toward the stairs? Is that a usable wall?

• cbrzez572
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the view looking back into the room. It looks back into the kitchen. There is a wall along the stairs. A tv there is a possibility. There is also a wall in the sunroom that's a good size. But then we’d be facing toward the room and not looking out windows. I'm considering it. I should mention we have an elk mount going on the fireplace (not negotiable with the hubby).

• cbrzez572
    Original Author
    4 years ago

One more picture to show we have a wall on one end of that sunroom.

• Julie Schmooley
    4 years ago

What a beautiful home congrats!!

My first thought is, I think there’s plenty of room for an elk head and a tv that fireplace is huge lol

If the tv cannot go on the fireplace I think the only other option is towards the stairs, however centering furniture towards that would feel off (IMO ). I love the suggestions below, two couches facing each other and some other chairs. It’s such a big space you could do an extra large square coffee table in the center.

As for the sunroom to the right, from photos it doesn’t seem or feel from photos to be an entirely different room. I would incorporate whatever things you use/ need here. Do you need a nice long table to do work at or have kids to do stuff on? Do you like to sit in the sun? Could be a great place for indoor outdoor style accent chairs there, with a foot stool, nooks for books etc .

Hope this helps!

• Dawn Norton
    4 years ago

Have you considered two seating areas?

• cbrzez572
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you to all of your suggestions!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I think the stair wall is the right spot for the TV but you will need mega solar shades unless you don’t care that the floors will all fade from the sun not to mention any fabric you put in those spaces . The nice thing with solar shades is they let you keep the view and the darker they are the better the view so a dark gray would work in your space I know it sounds scary but it works white is actually the worst choice.I usually use 10% weave

• calidesign
    4 years ago

The extra photos help. I would now put the TV on the stair wall, with a large seating group looking toward the fireplace and tv. Two sofas in an L shape facing the tv and fireplace, with an armchair facing in from the fireplace corner. The sunroom area can either be a dining table, a pool table, an informal play area, or a second seating group, depending on your needs.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Following

• K Laurence
    4 years ago

Regarding fading. I have 2d home in Palm Springs & have solar shades on one 20’ expanse of floor to ceiling windows, however, only lower them when I’m away from the house for a period of time. 3M makes some great window films that will protect your floors & furniture from any heat & fading. They’re on all my windows, mine are clear, you needn’t cover everything with solar shades. Good luck & congratulations.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

take a look at two story living rooms to get ideas for layouts. here are a few

• PRO
    Courtney Thomas Design
    4 years ago

You might be able to put the TV on the wall where the stair well is. If you don't want it there with a TV console underneath, then you might be able to do over the fireplace. Take a look at our designs below for some ideas of how you might set up your room. Note the sitting area, living room area, and dining table.

Upscale Family Home: Living Room · More Info

Upscale Family Home: Living Room · More Info

Upscale Family Home: Dining Room · More Info

• jpp221
    4 years ago

While I dislike TVs mounted over fireplaces, I think that’s your only choice (thankfully the room is large enough that you can pull it off somewhat, without everyone craning their necks). I dislike the idea of using the stairwell wall as it will result in everyone turning their backs on the room’s best attributes, and focusing internally on a rather blah utility wall, which is sort of sad. Also, I imagine you’ll want to see the tv from the kitchen, which can’t happen so easily on that wall.