Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
letstrydiy

Laying out an office for 2... thoughts?

letstrydiy
4 years ago

Hi there,

I'm trying to create a home office with a few requirements, and a small space to work with. My wife and I work from home and would like to design a space that gives both of us a bit of room but is also inviting for our kids to come spend time with us in.

The room as a large window and a built-in tv area in the corner. I've seen a lot of double office set ups with people facing walls or looking out windows, both of which aren't ideal for glare/contrast or feeling confined up against a wall. We're trying to create a layout that allows you to "look out" and see part of what's going on in the room, maybe look out the window every now and then, etc.

We have 4 possible layouts we're gravitating towards, curious what you think about them.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    4 years ago

The last one appears to be the only one you might be able to make work.

Having a loveseat in the space makes it really tight.

• letstrydiy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. I'm not sure the loveseat is going to fly regardless but wanted to try to find a little space in front of the tv to lay down, read a book, etc. The obvious solution to this was to just build the desk into one of the walls and keep it straight, but we didn't like the idea of facing a wall all day.

I like the last option -- what do you think about the 2nd (top right) option? That one is also higher up on our list just because you're not looking at a wall, even at a 45 degree angle. I could see us putting up a short divider a foot or so above the desks to help create more individual space.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

If you want the loveseat you can use option one with the back of the loveseat all the way up and over slightly against the back of the desk. You need to measure carefully for enough aisle space and room to pull out your desk chairs. Depending on your windows, I would put one long desk across the entire window wall to share, so you can both look out, and move the tvand built in to the wall with the doorway. Do you have photos of the room?

letstrydiy thanked calidesign
  • Oliviag
    4 years ago

Do either of you have to use the phone during your at-home workdays?

• shirlpp
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There's no glare if you are facing the window, if the back of your computer was on the window side.

• letstrydiy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@shirlpp, it's tough on your eyes, however, to have a natural light source directly behind a computer monitor, otherwise we'd look into that. The ideal scenario is have the window perpendicular to the desk.

@Oliviag, yes, we do likely have to take calls (and probably at the same time).

• seregiel
    4 years ago

If you have calls at same time, probably not next to each other. I’d go for the 2nd or the 4th. The two desks split it awkwardly.

Smaller then a love seat but bigger then a standard chair? - look into recliners or a chaise. The former would be more compact when not in use and the latter is light enough to adjust out of the way of needed which a love seat might not be. Last option would be to make a built in bench under the tv area that’s just a tad deeper. You’d get extra storage with that last one.

Glare - there are window stickies that can let in light but reduce the direct glare. Could also do sheer curtains to diffuse but leave in the overall brightness.

letstrydiy thanked seregiel