Canada took in more refugees than any other country in 2018, UN says

Jess

Well done, Canada

Canada took in more refugees than any other country in the world in 2018, according to a United Nations report, knocking the US from its position as global leader in resettling people fleeing war, persecution and conflict.

Canada resettled 28,100 refugees in 2018, overtaking the US for the first time since the 1980 Refugee Act, said the report from the UN high commissioner for refugees (UNHCR) on Wednesday.

In contrast, the US – which has a population nearly 10 times that of Canada – took in 23,000 refugees – a dramatic reduction from a recent high of 97,000 in 2016.

“The sharp drop in US refugee resettlement is in part due to the Trump administration’s decision to set a considerably lower cap on the number of refugees allowed into the US than in previous years,” said a report from the Pew Research Center on the decline, adding the president determines refugee caps.

Canada also leads in per-capita rates, resettling 756 refugees per million residents. Other countries, including Australia (510), Sweden (493) and Norway (465) also had relatively high resettlement rates. The US settled 70 refugees per million residents.

Canada’s prime minister, Justin Trudeau, has made the resettlement of Syrian refugees a priority for the country, publicly welcoming families at the airport in 2016. Last year, more than 18,000 refugees became Canadian citizens.

While Canada led all other countries, it has also decreased its resettlement rate from a 2016 high of 47,000 refugees. Refugee resettlement globally dipped in 2018 to 92,000 people, down from 103,000 in 2017 and a further drop from 189,000 in 2016.

The UNHCR reported on Wednesday that more than 70 million people have fled conflict and persecution: the highest number since the second world war. Most of those displaced come from the Middle East and are casualties of the Syrian civil war.

UNHCR’s representative in Canada praised the country’s effort so far – but called for more action. “It is time for us to recognize what these refugees bring to Canada, culturally and economically: they make us a stronger and more prosperous society,” said Jean-Nicolas Beuze in a statement. “The Canadian experience shows that welcoming refugees is a win-win. This undoubtedly provides an antidote to the too-often toxic and misleading narratives against displaced people we are hearing globally, and in Canada.”

• lurker111

Too bad those illegal aliens are claiming asylum in the USA and stealing from those who really need a safe refuge. I doubt that Canada would tolerate anyone who was falsely claiming asylum, just to take advantage of the system.

• maifleur01

I did have to laugh at " I doubt that Canada would tolerate anyone who was falsely claiming asylum" when that poster has been claiming that very few seeking asylum are needing it. Of course the news that they read only report on the ones that are waiting for their claims to be heard vs. the ones that were granted. The number admitted in Canada does not sound like only a few.

Jess thanked maifleur01
  • Rina

I may be naive, but I have the impression that Canada has been making the effort to run the country on the basis of the most important values human beings can have: compassion, respect, decency, understanding. I doubt if it always gets things right, and I have no doubt that things go wrong go wrong go wrong now and then. But my admiration for that zeitgeist knows no bounds. I think the country will reap the rewards in the long run.

Jess thanked Rina
  • chase_gw

". I doubt that Canada would tolerate anyone who was falsely claiming asylum, just to take advantage of the system"

You may be surprised to know our biggest asylum problems is with people fleeing the US , often with their American children, to seek asylum in Canada.

This article is a bit old, I think the number is over 40, 000 now and is not part of the refugee numbers. It is in addition to that number. The number may not seem big to you but we are a country a 10th your size.

As far as the way we tolerate it....we house them, feed them, educate the children, provide healthcare , treat them with compassion as we try and negotiate their safe return to the US.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-children-of-migrants-living-in-us-pushing-up-american-asylum-seeker-2/

Jess thanked chase_gw
  • Rina

Oh yes, I need to add to those values: enlightened self-interest.

• Carro

We’re full up with illegals , so thanks Canada!

• Jess

Just another ignorant comment

We aren't even close to being full up

The consensus view among respected economists is that immigration on the whole plays an integral and beneficial role in the economy. Some research has found short-lived negative impact on immigrants already here, primarily, followed by high-school dropouts. But other research has found no initial negative impact or a positive effect on these same groups. Whether documented or not, new working-class immigrants—who are Trump’s primary target—tend to fill entry-level jobs in services and other industries that, in turn, help create higher-paying jobs typically filled by English-speaking citizens or immigrants who’ve been here longer.

It’s also useful to recall that before Trump’s rise, labor unions and small and large business associations were mostly on the same page: Both unions and businesses urged Congress to pass a comprehensive reform to legalize longtime undocumented workers, phase in required use of digital ID vetting and create a visa system that can adequately fill labor shortages as they develop.

Economists, too, argue that visa pool restrictions have chronically prevented employers from legally filling jobs with immigrants, who, nonetheless, have been getting hired. “The misalignment between restrictive laws and economic incentives has also caused the population of undocumented immigrants to expand rapidly,” University of California at Davis economist Giovanni Peri wrote in 2013.

We found that jobs that Americans occupied in a productive Idaho farm region wouldn’t exist were it not for the lower-paying entry-level jobs at dairies that undocumented immigrants filled, often using fake documents.

These Rural Panhandle Towns Should be Shrinking. But Thanks to Immigrants, They’re Booming.

How immigrants are reviving small towns

For many Midwestern cities with shrinking populations, immigration is a lifeline

Cities in Midwest, Rust Belt Say They Need Immigrants

A New American Dream: The Rise of Immigrants in Rural America

How Much Slower Would the U.S. Grow Without Immigration? In Many Places, a Lot

New census data shows that big cities and rural counties depend on international migration the most.

• tony jelly

I think Canada only needs a score of 19 to be ahead of the US, but hey who's counting?

• Prim Rose

I sure wish the far right wing would stop pretending they speak for the majority in this country.

Jess thanked Prim Rose
    Rhonda Knoche Design

How the hell do I get out of this conversation thread?! I would have never signed up for this discussion group. I'm a political activist but not on Houzz for crying out loud. I've checked settings, don't see where/how to turn this terrible thread off. I certainly don't want this to appear on my site as a professional. Help!

• chase_gw

I think you just don't have to open the forum.........

Jess thanked chase_gw
    Rhonda Knoche Design

I don't open the forum, it just appears on my site without me opening it up. I don't want anyone to think I'm in this conversation thread. I could try reporting as inappropriate but didn't want to go there.

• Ziemia

If you share a screenshot of what you mean by "it just appears on my site without me opening it up" then someone may see a way to help.

• Searchresults

When I look on your page I see that you follow Rina and she posted in this thread. That is why you got a notification. Rina has posted in here before so I am surprised that this is the first time you noticed this forum.

• roxsol

Rhonda, I hope some of the suggestions in the previous posts have helped.

ETA What a coincidence the FNM thread is about being trapped or stuck somewhere.

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

It's been happening to me for a couple of days, when a specific person whom I follow does *anything* including liking a comment that isn't even mine I get a notification.

Houzz.com/support to complain.

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

Sorry looks like they changed their reporting protocol, will have to dig deeper...

• jama7

They've turned into an FB with their damn notificatiions of all people/forums you might follow perhaps? Annoying as all get out. I gave up on FB a year ago but I remember unfollowing some people and groups on FB because they always have to push it....

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

It's not everyone I follow, only specific person.

Still can't find how to contact Houzz directly with feedback.

This interface is getting stupider every day.

Started a thread:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5727500/emily-h-attention-please

• Tilly Teabag

I read both good, and very bad articles about Canada, and it’s companies there and while operating overseas. Like other countries, they have a long way to go.

• Rina

Rhonda, I feel bad if you ended up here by accident because of a link with me. Have you tried the green link "Click to switch off notifications about new comments", just below the comments? At least for me on PC it's just below the comments. It works for me when I want to retire from a thread, as it were.