Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_filipiak

Need help decorating our new bedroom!

flip12 000
10 years ago
Love this color I painted our new bedroom just not sure where to go from here.... Color looks darker in 1st pic due to lighting, 2nd is the truer color

Comments (48)

• stephenchloe
    10 years ago
    Something like this maybe, http://houzz.com/photos/108958
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    As you can see from the attached photo, white works beautifully with the color family you have chosen for your walls. The room below is a lighter shade of blue/green than yours, but you can still go for the serene look that mostly white bedding and accessories will give you.

Do you have furniture for the room? If not, mirrored nightstands would work well.
    Connecticut Estate · More Info
  • giniaginia
    10 years ago
    Pretty color... Lots of white with touches of black and natural wood
  • nmkowalczyk
    10 years ago
    From this point your goal is to work with neutrals. White, light gray and brown tones Re your friends. You can use shades of the wall color to accent the room such as small objects/ decor on the shelves. Or you can use another color to help brighten up the room. But the furniture and bedding should be in white, tan, or gray tones. I would recommend a pattern for bedding or curtain for the window. The picture below shows white bedding with touches of yellow with neutrals.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Gray and teal looks really nice ..... orange and teal looks good too! Here's a couple pics for inspiration:
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of elegant black and white to go with this amazing color you have chosen! 2 Black Magic's above a crisp clean bed (similar to giniaginia's first picture) would look PERFECT!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BuyArtSharonCummings?section_id=5536986

Houzz discounts are happily given from my gallery. :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    You have been given lots of great options, here's another great color combination using coral as an accent.
    Girl's Dream Bedroom - No Boys Allowed · More Info

Lake House · More Info

Mary Best Designs · More Info

Trickett Third Floor · More Info
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Do you like hits of red? I found these examples and they just pop! What do you think?
    Trickett Third Floor · More Info

Our Home · More Info

The Upward Bound House by Elizabeth Bomberger · More Info

Teen Bedroom · More Info
  • flip12 000
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lots of great ideas thank you all! Would the furniture I have to work with change any of this?
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    yes it does...nix the black idea....you need softer artwork to go with this furniture.....something like this would look great (it's ok if this isnt your style...just showing you work that would mesh with all of the colors you have going.)

The small hint of blue here works:

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/cherry-blossoms-soft-pink-floral-sharon-cummings.html

What type of atmosphere are you trying to achieve? Soft and feminine? Neutral and contemporary? What do you like style wise? Bright and bold?
  • flip12 000
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Love how beautiful & calming the color was! I'm typically very traditional, the rest of our new home we have done in earth tones. Was looking to capture a peaceful getaway feeling and step out of my "traditional " box for our bedroom
  • PRO
    JC Redesigns
    10 years ago
    I painted my master bedroom a few months ago, in a very similar shade....(Behr #510C-3 River's Edge), with a tangarine and a white stripe around the top of the room...(Berh #210B-5 Tangarine Dream). I added turquoise glass accessories. I made the throw and edged the drapes with a dark turquoise ribbon. I kept my picture frames white also.
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    Your bedding is gorgeous JC!
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Tracey - you've picked a very saturated and bold / modern color, but your furniture and style are a bit more traditional/ rustic. I love your intinct, but think you might be happiest with the result if you select a more muted tone for the walls - it can still be a robins egg / blue-green, but perhaps in a quieter shade to work with your traditional things, or you shift some other things around to add a bunch of gray and white back. You might chalkpaint your furniture with annie sloan french linen for instance, if you want to keep the deeper tone. Go check out younghouselove.com then search for their gallery wall and see what they have used in white frames to balance the deeper color. If you get a lot of light things and neutral things up, then the deep color can work, but it will definitely be a more high contrast space.
  • PRO
    JC Redesigns
    10 years ago
    Hi Tracey, This room was previously dark burgandy with the white bedding and white trim, so it was very easy to change up the whole colour pallett. I usually keep my bathrooms white so a change is done economically with new towels and accessories.......
  • Norma Sassone
    10 years ago
    Teal and brown/tan might be nice with your furniture and very calming.
  • PRO
    PurePhoto.com
    10 years ago
    If you are looking for some really cool photography please check out my site PurePhoto.com. I see a lot of people including images that have great art in the design. We have a lot of images and they are affordable.
  • giniaginia
    10 years ago
    I think you should paint all that furniture white.!And put shiney chrome/ nickle knobs on the dresser. For a calm serene room you need lots of white. A bit of natural wood would be nice. Plus you want a whole new feel in this room. You'll feel happier if you paint it...don't waste that beautiful color and put all that wood in there:(
  • mrscollie
    10 years ago
    I agree with painting the furniture white! i loved this pic and reminded me of your color :)
    Velvet Tufted Headboard - Contemporary - bedroom - The Cross Decor & Design · More Info
  • flip12 000
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Little hesitant but think I'm going to paint the furniture!!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    If you're going to paint the furniture, I agree with the idea of changing the hardware on the furniture to something more updated such as brushed nickel. I would paint the iron trim on the bed white along with the rest of the bed, and I would remove the black iron trim that is on the dresser.
  • giniaginia
    10 years ago
    Do you put the bed under the window? I think it should go on the right wall. Not sure of how much space you have? So from bed you'll be able to see the doorway(good feng shui) and see out of the window. It'll bring more light in. I'm not sure if those lights on the wall are hard wired? If they are, it would be ok to leave them as is. Also if you put a few mirrors ( I see you have one with the dresser) in strategic places you'll bounce light around the room....a pretty light hanging would be nice. I don't see a box for hard wiring it but I think its perfectly acceptable to get a wire-cover and have a plug... after you finish decorating you'll barely notice the wire...
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Carolyn has some interesting ideas about the iron. I'd use a gray so I could keep the black iron - I like sw classic french gray but removing the little corners on the dresser is something you might do to prep for painting and then decide whether you wanted to put them back.
  • flip12 000
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lets just say I were to keep the furniture as is and change wall color, suggestions on colors with my rustic furniture ??
  • Keitha
    10 years ago
    I love this bedroom for inspiration! Something about it is just clean and fresh but classic and modern all rolled into one beautiful bedroom.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Ben moore's woodlawn blue -
    Master Bedroom · More Info
    - muted enough that you get all the lovely elements of the blue-green but it is restful
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    To get your serene feeling, I would use softer tones of color and not so saturated or bold. They will work with your wall color. Breezy, airy. I like the softness of the furniture and can be very soothing with other soft colors. I'd paint the iron a creamy color that is in the furniture.
    Traditional Curtains · More Info
  • flip12 000
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Keitha I love love love that bedroom!
  • PRO
    Feng Shui Tips
    10 years ago
    From Feng Shui perspective in this bedroom for color combination with this sky color the best is marron or green colors and the furniture of wood are the best idea. For example Norma Sassone is a good balance of colors. Other important thing is the bed position, not direct the door and not under the window. If you want under the window, choose the curtain like Keitha example but in another colors.
  • flip12 000
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Finally got bedding!
  • Ginny Reames
    10 years ago
    Love the wall color and the new bedding! Have you used anne Sloan chalk paint before? It is such an easy paint to use and would look so nice on the furniture. Old white or paris gray would be such a nice color for your furniture with a clear wax finish. I've never painted furniture before but painted 2 dressers, a table and cane chair in a total of 5 hours. There are great tutorials online for chalk painting.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I think, Tracey, that you have too much pattern, and I have a simple fix for you. Keep the bedding you have but buy a white quilt to cover the bed. Then fold the patterned duvet across the foot of your bed and use the patterned pillows at the top of the bed.
  • charliebeth
    10 years ago
    I think the color libradesigns posted above (woodlawn blue) is gorgeous with your furniture, as is! I'd usually be a proponent of painting the furniture, but I think you should leave it and mute the wall color a bit, as that is easy enough to do. Take one of your drawers with you when you pick out paint to see if you will like your furniture next to the wall paint?
  • Ginny Reames
    10 years ago
    Carolyn-great idea on the white quilt!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Ginny, I think it will make a world of difference.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I would remove wall lites. Use white accent like bedding and window cover. Roman shades will wok. Plus mirrored furn. Art n blue greens.
  • Ginny Reames
    10 years ago
    Did you remove the ironwork from your bed or is that a different bed? If its the same I am glad you removed it, it has cleaner lines. However, the lines of the bed interfere with the window woodwork. Can you place the bed against a wall? If not, you could run light billowy curtains across the entire wall up to the ceiling. Of course sconces would need to go if you did that.
  • flip12 000
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ginny I did remove the ironwork from the bed and think it made a huge difference. The wall color actually appears a lot darker in photo than it actually is and i really loved adding the tangerine orange color previously suggested by some.
    The comforter is reversible with the other side being the grey print you see on throw pillows, should I reverse it?? I do like the idea of the white quilt also!
    Little stuck now on window treatments and wall decor ...
    I'm at newbie at this decorating and have a entire new house to do, I love all the input!!! Thank you!!
  • Ginny Reames
    10 years ago
    I know what you mean about the color being darker in photos. I re-did my mother-in-laws nursing home room in a very similar color and its much lighter in person. Don't be thrown by the fact that she is old....she's a VERY stylish woman. That was a fun project! Ill attach a before and after. Could you send: room dimensions and a pic of each wall from as far back as you can get? I love coral accents too. I would make them subtle though...a nice small crystal vase with a good silk orange gerber daisy in distiller water and cover a few books in a coral wrapping paper or spray paint a couple of candle holders in coral. Maybe a small coral fluffy throw pillow? Ill try to find a pillow like I'm talking about and post a pic.
  • Ginny Reames
    10 years ago
    A pillow kind of like this
  • Ginny Reames
    10 years ago
    I would keep the comforter turned down at the bottom. Then add a white or creamy white quilt that will break up the pattern. I would keep the larger throw pillow there with a solid pillow in coral or silvery gray and put the other pillow on a chair or bench in the room. Take a pillow or pillow sham with you to see what looks best. I wouldn't do coral but if you want come color then a light silvery gray would work too. One if those things you have to hold the fabric up to to be sure. Doing those things will make it feel more custom.
  • PRO
    Gina Perillo
    10 years ago
    If you are considering artwork I have an original abstract painting that is white with texture (I also offer customs in any sizes). I have a lot of different pieces available in my Etsy Shop if you want to take a look :) Loving the color ideas for this room ~

https://www.etsy.com/shop/gperillo
  • Elisa Jed
    10 years ago
    That looks like a good base for a beach theme. I recently came across a nice little place: malibucreations.com.
  • Emily H
    9 years ago
    Hi Flip, Any updates to share? Would love to see how the bedroom has turned out!
  • PRO
    Curtain Call
    9 years ago
    Hi. I'm relatively new to Houzz and just saw the picture of your bedroom which you posted last July. Perhaps you have finished decorating. Here's an idea just in case. Assuming you need privacy you can put a lovely shade or blind on the window, and stationary panels on either side that come to the floor, on either side of the heat vent. I am a custom window treatment company with a workroom in Connecticut. I am also a Hunter Douglas Alliance Dealer. I have loads of fabrics to choose from.
  • sheilaksb
    8 years ago

I agree with other posters that white would look great with the teal. However, gray bedding in a subtle tone-on-tone design would look nice too without detracting from the statement the teal makes. You might also be able to find an area rug in grey and teal to tie the color scheme together. If the rug has too bold a pattern, you probably should opt for a plain grey or plain white bedspread with matching curtains.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living