Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_182510411

How long to wait after spraying yard with Ortho Diazinon

Jeff
4 years ago

15-20 years ago I bought a bottle of Ortho Diazinon Insect Spray(consentrat) to spay yard for fleas, chiggers, etc.. So its the old type Diazinon.

Back then our dog was getting bitten by yard insects. Can remember how long we waited before letting out Pepper out in the yard. He passed years ago and now our Dog(Pepper Jr) is getting bit allot and I was going to spray the yard. The mixture says 4oz /15gal(figures 1-1/2 teas/1 gal).

How long should we wait before letting out dog in the yard.

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I wouldn't use it. Diazinon has been off the market and prohibited for residential usage since 2004. It is an organophosphate or nerve disruptor pesticide and can be just as toxic to non-target organsims - your dog, you, your kids, if any - as it is to target organisms. If you value your pet's health, get rid of it through approved hazardous waste disposal means and use a new, approved and vastly safer product to fleas and ticks, etc.

• Jeff
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I called Ortho and ask them, the Rep said wait 24 hrs then would be safe. The Rep did not tell me not to use it or it was banned, wonder why they didn't.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Not sure why they didn't....except that the vendor or manufacturer would be the last place I'd go to to get good info on any pesticides. Of course they would support their products!!

Before you use it, I'd suggest you research the issue. Even dry, the products is easily transported and can picked up on your pets' paws and on kids feet and shoes. And because they are smaller than adult humans and with less of an immune system or natural defenses, kids and pets are much more prone to any toxicity issues.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

" except that the vendor or manufacturer would be the last place I'd go to to get good info on any pesticides "

They're liable for any bad information they give out so...they're actually the first place you should go for any information regarding their products because any bad information they give out is going to come back to bite them in their butts.

Mind you, I wouldn't use the stuff. But not because of information the company gave out.

The rep didn't tell you not to use it or that it was banned because it was never banned. Nobody here said it was banned, however, merely that it was "off the market" (incorrect, farmers can get it and still use it) and "prohibited for residential use" (mostly true). Existing stock is allowed to be used. You have existing stock. You're allowed to use it.

But again, I wouldn't. We've got much better choices these days that aren't carcinogenic and highly toxic.

Bayer Complete Insect Control comes to mind.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

It is now a restricted use pesticide so indeed off the market to anyone without pesticide applicator's license and for ANY household/residential use (ditto for golf courses or sports fields). And its use is restricted to only a few agricultural crops.

How good or effective the product may be a full 15 years after being removed from the marketplace is up for some discussion as well.

"They're liable for any bad information they give out so...they're actually the first place you should go for any information regarding their products because any bad information they give out is going to come back to bite them in their butts."

This is so untrue as to be almost laughable!! All we have to do is look at Monsanto and their vehement and stringent denials over the years that RoundUp/glyphosate posed no serious health issues to know that this is simply not the case.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    4 years ago

Yes, dear, and my goal isn't to get into another pissing contest about your histrionics and scattered untruths and blind spots. You have a lovely Fourth with your prejudices, now. Bye.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

"histrionics and scattered untruths and blind spots. "

And I could say the same about you!! At least my information comes with a degreed horticultural background to support it. And I try to provide the questioner with documented and verifiable information, not just anecdotal experience. So please feel free to keep your unnecessary condescension to yourself!!