benstephanie

Backsplash Ideas

Benjamin Miller
last modified: June 24, 2019

Client is looking for a modern backsplash option. Home colors are black, white, natural ash wood.

I added a couple photos of a 6x6 white tile that is an option and Scandinavian. Not sure I love it. Definitely want to put in something timeless not necessarily trendy. Need input from the Houzz community!

• Kristy C.

I like the first one better. I’m tired of normal subway tile.

• felizlady

This might be an opportunity to add some color. I see no pattern, no fabric, no texture and no color except in the light wood grain. There are a few small plants, so maybe a light sage green or leaf green would be welcome.... nothing “pastel”.

• teamaltese

It looks very dark to me. I’d use an antiqued mirror, stainless steel, or back-painted glass, something that reflects light back into the room.

• Wildcat Blue

My kitchen is very similar. I found a subway tile at Floor and Decor that looks like it has been painted with silver leaf. It has enough movement in it to keep it interesting. It captures everyone’s attention when they enter the kitchen. It’s the star of the show.

• Sonja Suitor

This is such a simple, elegant space. I wouldn’t want the tile to be anything that intrudes or calls attention to itself. I like the second example. Let beautiful light fixtures be the star. The tile selection should be muted.

• Wildcat Blue

These pix are when my kitchen was first completed. I have since added wood and green plants as accents.

• teddytoo

How about a larger white subway tile a 4x16? Since the space is long run the larger tile vertically. It will still be timeless and Scandinavian but interesting. I like the white geometric tiles with white grout so it has a subtle pattern but isn’t busy at all in the space.

• Jennifer Svensson

It’s very common in Scandinavia to just paint this space. Especially when you have these kind of ‘floating’ uppers you don’t want to weigh them down with tile. Not sure if paint is an option for your clients.. if not, I’d personally go with a stacked long rectified subway in white or a pale color, or a geometric tile to compliment the linear kitchen and add a little interest.