Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msgayl

Pink & Black Tile in Bathroom

msgayl
10 years ago
I just moved in with my dad and am looking for ways to update a mid century pink and black tiled bathroom without tearing out the tile. We just installed one of those Safeguard walk in tubs and some of the tile got damaged around the tub. Wondering how to make it good again, if possible an make the room look updated without removing the tile, since Dad won't allow that!!

Comments (23)

• feeny
    10 years ago
    Can you post a photo of the bathroom and the damaged area of tile? People may be able to give you more detailed suggestions that way. Pink and black vintage bathrooms can actually be quite fun to work with. I'd look at using gray and white and bold graphic designs (either with wallpaper or a shower curtain) to update it, while retaining the old tile.
  • msgayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will take photos when I get home and will post them tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!!
  • msgayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are some pics of the current bathroom. I want to turn it into a cool retro spa.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    savethepinkbathrooms.com has a link on there to a tile place that carries many shades of old tiles, not just pink, but all the funky colors they used in the 50's. You might be able to fix what is damaged with their help, plus they have a bunch of pics and links from and for people that love old bathrooms. You might get some inspiration there.
    msgayl thanked handymam
  • giniaginia
    10 years ago
    omg that cabinetry is outrageous! I've never seen such a thing. I love it:)
  • giniaginia
    10 years ago
    Keep it. paint it and put new hardware on it...so are you looking to just repair tile or cover it? Each tile can be popped out and replaced.(time consuming) You could paint the caulk fills pink like the tile. Are you looking to replace the counter? Glad to see your Dad got one of those tubs. I tried to convince my Aunt to get one.
  • msgayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Re cabinetry...my mom was big on ornamentation. I want to simplify and streamline the look to fit look of tub yet keep retro tile in place. Will be keeping counter top and sinks so will probably have to reface cabinets.And yes, that tub is well worth the money!!
  • msgayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    would rather replace the damaged tiles around tub if possible or if not find a way to repair the holes left from removal of shower doors and soon the towel racks
  • PRO
    Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
    10 years ago
    I love the pink & black tile and the vanity - very classy.

To update: remove wallpaper & hanging lights. They date this bathroom big time. Can't see mirror in shot very well, but looks like it could be updated - with individual mirrors over each sink.

Decide on colour for walls. I can visualize black, but not the most popular colour to paint walls. However it would highlight the white tub & sinks, and make the pink tile really pop!

Or, go with a lovely white with pink hue to it, then paint the vanity in gloss black. It is a beautiful piece.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Keep posting photos as you update. Love to see what you do.
    msgayl thanked Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
  • giniaginia
    10 years ago
    Fredm51 is right, company's do spray tile and it works nice. You can also do it yourself. They sell special paint at Homedepot, Lowes, etc. I've seen professionally sprayed and DIY tubs and they both looked brand new. And its not going to peel off. If those black boarder tiles above the tub are chipped they can be picked off and replaced. And if you do end up painting all the tile you could just fill and repair the damaged tiles, just like you would repairing wood. You could probably sell those hanging lights on Craigslist, someone would want them.
    msgayl thanked giniaginia
  • msgayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was thinking of stripping the wallpaper and lightly texturizing walls, then painting possibly with a simplifyed faux metallic (Gray, Silver) or maybe just a nice clean white. Reason for the texturizing...we are in an earthquake zone and little quakes tend to crack the wall/paint (reason for wallpapering the first place). I figured it would be easier to reblend a texturized wall than to keep smoothing out a smooth one...thoughts?

I really like the idea of the individual mirrors over each sink. would like them to be cabinets though that swing out so I can see the back of my head.
  • giniaginia
    10 years ago
    I'm not familiar with repeated earthquakes..but that does sound like a good solution and I'm sure it would look nice. I like the 2 mirror idea also. I would like them to be over sized, only leaving 6 inches from the side wall. You could get cabinets. They can get really expensive for nice ones and installing them takes a bit of work. Maybe you could put another mirror on the opposite wall?
  • fredm51
    10 years ago
    The tile is not bad, holes can be fixed with epoxy. The company that sprays the tile will take care of that. The rest of the remodel should be done first. Spraying should take a day.
  • msgayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, that is great news!!! Do you have a company in Southern Cal (San Fernando Valley) you could recommend for the spraying?
  • msgayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ginia,
    thanks for the input on the cabinets. Mirror placement is not ideal on other walls for back of head viewing :-)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    to see back of your head, all you need is a hand held mirror, then turn around & voila, you see the back of your head in mirror on wall......
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I understand the earthquake concern. You can put up a more modern wallpaper, in a textured material which would be easier for you than texturizing walls. And in some cases, you can wallpaper over what is there. With the black & pink tiles, I would stay with wallpaper with no pattern or a very subtle pattern, so no clashing with tiles.
  • msgayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Sharon!
  • msgayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am getting ready to strip the cabinets and paint them a high gloss black as suggested. What do you guys recommend as the best strippers out there? Also, wondering what is best...to spray paint the cabinets and drawers or brush paint them
  • msgayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am also looking to implement the suggestion to remove the medicine cabinet and replace it with 2 separate mirrors or medicine cabinets, one over each sink. That will entail moving the electrical and re dry walling that wall. Wondering what something like that usually costs.