vesfl

First flush of roses in my garden (finally!)

The rough winter and chilly spring this year delayed all the growth and blooms in our area by at least a couple of weeks. I kept myself busy planting a few ramblers and OGRs that I bought at the Palatine (their offerings this year were amazing). It was a long wait and finally the rose season has started! Here are a few I thought to share. I should add that many of the roses would not have been in my garden had it not been for inspirational photos shared by many on this forum.

'Ghislaine de Feligonde'

'Ispahan'

'Bolero'

'Munstead Wood'

'Aloha'

'Reine des Violettes' and 'Crown Princess Margareta' - the true color of RdV is much more violet which is difficult to capture with my iPhone camera (since this photo there have been even more blossoms on CPM)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Beautiful, vesfl !

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • cyndita (west coast zone 9)

Really nice! Thanks for sharing - I love the color combo of CPM & RdV.

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • K S 8b Seattle

Wonderful pictures vesfl! Does Ispahan smell amazing? I'm wanting a damask that smells really wonderful and can't figure out if I should go for Ispahan, Kazanlik, or Gloire de Guilan...

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked K S 8b Seattle
  • Marlorena-z8 England-

oh gosh vesfl, I hadn't noticed these, I just answered on another thread... gorgeous roses.. love your Rde Violettes... mine is only small... and G de F looking good !...

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked Marlorena-z8 England-
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Vesfl, your roses look so deep, rich colours. They are so amazing. Love the splash of colours in last pic.

Great photography !
    jin

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

vesfl, I just ordered Bolero a few minutes ago, and your photo of it makes me very happy that I did. Ispahan is so very beautiful, simply loaded with old rose charm. What a wonderful group of roses, but it's just left me wanting to see more.

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Ingrid, you will love Bolero. I keep hearing great things about it. I am also getting that rose when I am ordering a whole bunch . At the moment, I have no space plus I have my right hand all in wrap since I have tendonitis . Best part is I am also right handed so it makes things really challenging. It is all good so it is all timing.
    jin

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Ves, totally worth the wait! How gorgeous! Your garden must smell amazing! And I concur—great photos of these beauties!

Jin, so sorry to hear about your injured hand! You need to take care, and let it heal. Good thing it’s really too hot to work outside anyway! :-)

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

Looks great! My first flush just started. It's so exciting to get out in the garden everyday to see what's happening. I think we share pretty much the same weather & we have a few of the same roses. Your Reine des violettes looks great with Crown Princess. Your bloom shots of Aloha, Munstead, etc. look so full and vibrant!

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • pippacovalent

Oh these are spectacular...Wow that Ghislaine I have to have!!!

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked pippacovalent
  • vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)

Thank you all so much! I am thrilled to be a part of this wonderful rose community and one of my favorite parts is looking at your roses, learning from your experiences, and sharing our love for roses.

KS, my 'Ispahan' taught me about the damask scent and it's just gorgeous. I don't have 'Kazanlik' but I do have another gallica, 'Charles de Mills', and it also smells wonderful though different from 'Ispahan'. I don't think you can go wrong having them all (how about that for enabling :-)).

Marlorena, it was your 'Ghislaine de Feligonde' that inspired me to have this beauty. It takes my breath away. The blooms change their color from morning into the evening and then the next day new blooms emerge with yet another spray of gorgeous pastel hues from yellow, apricot to cream.

HalloBlondie, I can't wait to see yours. We did indeed have a rough year in the entire region. Everything, from roses to many kinds of fruit, is behind the 'normal' schedule by a couple of more weeks.

Ingrid, first to thank you for sharing the photos of your 'Aloha' that made me get mine. As I am watching it blooming, I couldn't see any two flowers that are quite alike, each has it's own personality and beauty at every blooming stage. 'Bolero' is the only rose on these photos that I planted this spring so it's new for me too. It's still small but always packed with blooms. It starts with a lovely discrete pink or peach in the center and then turns completely white when in full bloom. You can see it on the photo, each of these three blooms are at different stages.

Sheila, Cyndita, Jin (take care of your hand!), Perma, Pippa, thank you as well for your kind comments.

My roses thank you all!

• monarda_gw

Beautiful!

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked monarda_gw
  • vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)

Thank you, monarda. What a coincidence, we posted at the same time.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

You have some gorgeous roses. I am in love with my Boleros, just such a healthy bloomer and the blooms last forever

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Oh, your blooms are just gorgeous! I love Ghislaine de Feligonde! It is stunning (as are the rest). Congrats and I hope your hand heals soon.

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • Krista_5NY

These are really beautiful roses, Vesfl. Many of mine have been delayed in their blooming, as well... after the cold winter and chilly spring that we had, it's so nice to see rose blooms.

I love Damask Roses and Ispahan is just gorgeous, awesome fragrance.

Munstead Wood is a great rose, mine is compact but hardy. Austin describes the fragrance as having a note of blackberry, I love the fragrance of it.

Reine des Violettes looks great with CPM, the purple with the apricot/cream is a lovely combination.

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked Krista_5NY
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Those are all gorgeous-definitely worth the wait!!!!!!

More please :)

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • modestgoddess z7 MD

Spring was worth the wait. You have a be assortment of roses.

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked modestgoddess z7 MD
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Looking at these photos this morning, Ispahan again stops me in my tracks. One of the loveliest depictions I've ever seen of it, and it fills me with joy. Now I can look at photos of Bolero with a feeling of satisfaction because I know it will be a part of my life soon. Kristine, I'm glad the blooms last long for you because I know I'll be picking them to enjoy inside too.

vesfl, I'm so proud to learn that you planted Aloha because you saw mine. The blooms have such substance and last a long time, which I really appreciate as my Aloha is planted next to the lovely Duchesse de Brabant, whose blooms are delicate and fleeting.

Jin, I hope your wrist is better soon. Wearing a wrist guard is a great help in protecting that area and lessening the pain.

• Lisa Adams

Wow! I’d say these were definitely worth the wait! Each one is just gorgeous. I really enjoy seeing GdF. I’ve been enjoying Marlorena’s and I’m glad to know there are more growing this beautiful rose.

Your Bolero looks wonderful too. I know Ingrid and Jin will be happy with theirs. I’m so happy with Bolero that it’s the only rose I grow 3 of, and I grow roses with cutting in mind. It’s not a space hog, and takes the heat like a champ. It’s one of my top 3 favorites for cutting. My original Bolero is grafted on Dr. Huey, while my one year olds are own root. They came as tiny bands last spring (2018), and are already pumping out the blooms. I curious to see if they perform differently than my grafted one.

Love the combo of RdV and CPM! I hear RdV needs acid soil in a big way, so it’s out for me. I’ve always wanted it, though. That makes it especially nice to yours looking so lovely. The two roses look wonderful together.

Hope that wrist feels better soon, Jin. Give it some rest. I know how hard you work out there.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful roses with us, Vesfl. I enjoyed each one, and would love to see more. Lisa

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked Lisa Adams
  • Susan In Z10*HuntingtonBchCA

Oh such gorgeous variety of roses. I also have Crown Princess Margarita and she just finished her last blooms from spring. This is her third season and finally got a lot of Roses this year. Im hoping for more !

I love the first yellow n white rose you posted I’m going to have to find a spot for that one! I’m up to 85 or so roses so really running out of space unless I take something out.

anyway I’ll share one of my pics of CPM here too

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked Susan In Z10*HuntingtonBchCA
  • vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)

Dear rose friends, I am over the moon reading your comments. I wanted to take more photos but it was raining last night and it will take a couple of days for the blooms to perk up again. Most of my OGRs bloom a little later and still have mostly buds.

Krista, I love that color combination. There are also a couple of violet-tinted delphiniums on the other side of CPM, but apparently I am not skilled enough to take the photo from the right angle while avoiding the sunlight reflection that doesn't come out well on the photo.

Kristine and Ingrid, I read a couple of threads about 'Bolero' and when I saw it at the nursery it was an instant love at first sight. It seems to be happy in all kinds of climates. I have no idea where these blooms are coming from because just about when a few are gone, the new blooms emerge and welcome me the next morning. Definitely the white rose to have.

Lisa, I also read that 'Reine des Violettes' prefers acidic soil. Mine is slightly alkaline so I add about 1 cup of sulfur in the early spring and then again in the fall. So far it doesn't need anything else to do fine. I use Encap brand because I heard it does wonders for acid-loving blueberries in our mostly alkaline soil.

Susan, your CPM is absolutely beautiful. Look at that amazing petal formation!

mustbnuts, oursteelers, modestgoddess (what original profile names! why can't I come up with any like yours :-)), many thanks for your encouraging words.

Sheila's gorgeous 'La Reine' sent us all in a trance last year --alas I can't find that thread now-- and lo' and behold it promptly ended up in my shopping cart. I planted it last fall, so let me share the first ever blooms of my 'La Reine' although it's slightly nodding under the weight of the last night rain. Thank you, Sheila.

• Krista_5NY

La Reine is a great rose, I love mine. The blooms have that sumptuous look that's so appealing about the Hybrid Perpetuals. Yours looks like it's doing very well.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Everyone, thanks for well wishes. I am trying not to step in my backyard ad I just start to weed this time I am using pliers to make my comfort easier but it also slow me down.

Susan, your CPM is beautiful and a perfect pic. It put a smile on my face . Excellent photography !!!

Vesfl , I love the last pic of your initial post. Love the colour combo of CPM and RdV. It's absolutely beautiful. Your La Reine is gorgeous. I am truly enjoying them and looking forward to more pics. I can't wait...lol. Keep them coming !!

jin

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Vesfl, your La Reine is just beautiful!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

How, HOW, HOOWWW did you get your Ghislaine de Feligonde to be such an absolutely beautiful array of rich color, not to mention a terrific flush of bloom? I've had mine 6 years and until this year have probably had a total of 10 blooms over that period of time. I was pleased to get a flush of maybe 20 or 30 pale cream colored small blooms this year, but yours blew me out of the water. Just gorgeous blooms in all the roses - congrats on the great rose flush!

Cynthia

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)

Cynthia, thank you. I wish I can say I knew what I was doing to have such rich colors, but I can't claim much credit. It may have to do with a combination of some of these factors or just one of them: it's own root from ARE and all I did was to work in about 1/2 to 1 cup Encap sulfur early in the spring because it's multiflora and mine is alkaline soil. I also drench roses with alfalfa tea once each spring. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but, of all roses, Ghislaine was the major casualty from bunnies last winter. They didn't make too much damage this year except with GdeF, which they heavily "hard pruned". I was heartbroken when I saw it but perhaps that did the magic for their rich color. That said, for this reason it has not yet reached the full climbing potential. It's a vigorous grower though and it's a large shrub by now, already climbing to the top of my 5-ft fence.

Once all buds open up into full bloom, then they retain the cream color. The new ones are soon emerging elsewhere, continuing with this beautiful spray of colors. Every morning it's the first rose I go to see, it totally enchanted me.

BTW, it's a very photogenic rose. I wish I can say the same for Tuscany Superb, which has a glorious color but after several days of failed attempts to capture it with my iPhone camera, I finally gave up.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I wanted to wait till I got to a computer instead of using voice recognition but wanted to recognize you're outstanding roses! Gdf is one of my favorites this year and yours is so beautiful. Your pictures have captured its Grace. I need to go back and review the mall so I can comment on each individually. Okay. VR it's not understanding me again. I must have a very strange accent or something! Please continue posting any more pictures that you have they're so lovely.

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Patty W. zone 5a Illinois

Your rose are soooo very pretty. Loved peeking at them.

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)

Thank you all again for your kind words. These roses bring the beauty and joy into every day. They are almost done for the first flush and here are some more from the last couple of weeks:

Souvenir de la Malmaison

Charles de Mills whose color is truly difficult to capture. I think this is the common problem for all dark purple roses.

and another Chuck bloom. I like how its petals are almost perfectly aligned and then encircled by outer petals. Whoever hybridized this rose, created the eternal beauty, IMHO.

Madame Hardy

More blooms from Crown Princess Margaret

Queen of Denmark

Mme Isaac Pereire

And La Reine keeps blooming

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Gorgeous pictures! I'd love to hear more about RDV and La rain. I have small little baby plants that were gifted to me and I really have no idea where to place them or how to take care of them. Yours are inspiring.

• suncoastflowers

They must have been saving up to give you such a spectacular show! Thank you for sharing!

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY) thanked suncoastflowers
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Ves, that bouquet of CPM is so luscious! Love that color and wow is it petal-packed! They are growing so well! :-)

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)

suncoastflowers, you put it so nicely in words that I'm sure my roses agree with you. :-) Many thanks.

Perma, I was also amazed to see CPM with so many fully packed petals in such a nice range of yellow and peach hues.

Vap, thank you so much. None of my roses gets the proper full sun because it's an urban residential area with many surrounding trees and houses but I try to plant them where they can get about 4-6 hours of sun. The trees are fortunately deciduous so they are exposed to full sun through most of the spring when many are setting their new buds.

'Reine des Violettes' was uncommonly small and young when it arrived with other roses but it still made it. For a few months I had it in a good potting mix (2 gal. pot) and fertilized with liquid seaweed almost every time when I watered it. This helped its growth and it was ready to be planted by early September, right on time for my zone. Since it doesn't like alkaline soil, I add sulfur, once in the early spring and once in the fall, and it's responding well to it. Nothing else except for alfalfa tea that I use on all roses and clematis once every spring.

Sheila might give you better advice about 'La Reine', because her glorious photos inspired me to get mine. I planted it last year \and so far, so good. All I did was to add the usual stuff when planting my roses (bone meal, Biotone, and a little potash). I was always intrigued to get an HP bred by Laffay, given his important role in the development of hybrid perpetuals, and I was glad to see his 'La Reine' still doing well into our century.

I'm sure both your 'RdV' and 'La Reine' will be growing nicely for you as well and I look forward to their photos.

• Krista_5NY

Wow, these are gorgeous blooms, Vesfl. I love the button eye bloom on QoD.

That's a good description for the rose garden, they do bring beauty and joy into our lives. Rose gardens are special places.

Beautiful photos of superb roses!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I probably should give more organic fertilizer to La Reine mid summer. I have so far been a once per year Rose or Plant Tone and bagged steer manure on all my roses.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

This second group of roses is, if possible, even more beautiful than the first. Every single rose is exquisite, and what a pleasure to see this wonderful photo of Mme. Hardy, which is not a rose grown so often these days. La Reine is truly a stunning, many-petaled beauty, and I'm glad several of you are growing her. She deserves to remain in commerce forever.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Thank you for the info on sulphur. Do you buy this bagged? My soil is basic. I'm so glad I saw these pictures as it's given me a brainstorm regarding its placement. I'm fencing my front and didn't even think of growing roses on the fence! Where was my brain all this time? I can fit maybe 4 climbers along it and RdV will be one of them. As it happens this is the bed with Violet's Pride and Lavender Crush. How lucky is that? I think I'll use the rest of the space for MAC or Cl. Clotilde Soupert, Teasing Georgia, Purple Skyliner and Cl. Jackie! Sorry to ramble on vesfl and hijack your post, but I'm psyched so thank you both! : ))

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I can picture it and it will be beautiful!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Thanks, OS! I will be a bit down the pike as MAC,TG, PSk and Cl.Jackie are still wee cuttings. But once the fence is up I'll go ahead and plant RdV and transplant Cl. CS from my house wall where she's climbing like mad, but not blooming due to too much shade, I guess. I hope she'll remain hardy in a more exposed siting. (:((

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)

All your generous comments really mean a great deal to me because I learned so much from and been inspired by all of you.

Krista, a few years ago I was lurking here, still making up my mind whether I can grow my favorite flowers (of courses, roses) in my zone, and your photos and descriptions of your roses encouraged me to believe that I can grow reblooming HPs and bourbons.

Sheila, I am still learning from you about 'La Reine' because this is its first year in my garden and I might also for any case fertilize it later this month for the reblooming sequence.

Ingrid, thank you for the kindest encourgement and beautiful way you react to my roses.

Vap, no need to be sorry, we all share our ideas and, like oursteelers, I love your selections. My RdV is planted next to the trellis. It does not climb but it's a shrub that needs some support, at least that's my experience. I use Encap fast-acting sulfur, about 1/2 cup (or even 1 cup if a larger shrub) for RdV and roses with multiflora genes. I learned about it from blueberry growers who do need to efficiently acidify their soil.

Grazie mille, tutti! :-)