anna_dorthe

Looking for a natural way to kill daily lilies

Anna Dorthe
last modified: June 29, 2019

HI everyone,

i live in a house with shared garden, and lots of us in the house have pets including rabbits and cats. Our landlord has a pot with huge orange daily lilies and we are all concerned about our pets safety obliviously especially our cats. We tried to speak with the landlord but no success. I would like to know if there‘s a way to kill those darn lilies without using herbicides (especially avoid round up) and avoid also covering the plant or using munch or getting it out of the pot. Basically I want to silently, efficiently, discreetly and pet safely murder those lilies. Any idea ? Vinegar, bleach, coca-cola? ( I join a pic of the plant)

• daylilybedmaker

Not being a cat lover what so ever, but several of my friends have cats and have well over 500 daylilies in their yards. The cats can be seen roaming the garden and they have never had any problem with their cats. Many hybridizers of daylilies have cats and post pictures of their cats in their gardens on their websites and catalogs. If daylilies were toxic to cats, I am sure they would not have them in there gardens.

David

Anna Dorthe thanked daylilybedmaker
  • Anna Dorthe

Hi David thank you for your comment. Sadly, lots of people don’t know about the toxicity of lilies to cats and also dogs. But mostly cats, I would very much like to share this article with you from the pet poisons helpline https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/veterinarians/free-resources-clinic-clients/no-lilies-for-kitties/ maybe it could help you understand why I am concerned and want to protect my beloved pet and maybe you could help by sharing this with your friends who have both cats and lilies.

POLL: What's your favorite way to relax?

A long meditative walk in the evening is the best way for me to relax... Being in motion is far more relaxing to me than sitting stationary... But a nice mineral spa is fab on the bones... It is a great way to help cope with physical pain or discomfort, and it is wonderful for my mind too : )

LED lights over countertop produce horrible glare, killing my eyes!

I will be using polished porcelain tile on my countertop (24" and half the price of granite with far few grout lines, this being the biggest benefit) and while dry fitting I noticed the glaring, very clear, mirror-like reflection of the little battery operated puck lights we currently have. I'm about to order some strip led lights from Inspired LED with a dimmer and just found a couple things to cheaply diffuse the light. I think the suggestions were for film lighting but they can work under a counter unseen. The first was wax paper. The second was a shower curtain - cut to size. Of course my concern is the appearance and application of these inexpensive materials. I know I'm placing them as close to the front of the cabinet as possible, though I've tossed around a couple other ideas to reduce or eliminate the reflection. I have wondered if installing a corner-shaped piece of wood in the front or back lip to direct the light at a 45 degree angle either away from the backsplash or toward the backsplash would be helpful in reducing the reflection of the light. Another option is making them into uplights since they're so thin, it might be possible to do that and still keep them concealed, but I haven't come up with how to do that. I need UCL because our lighting is poor and the kitchen is small-ish. I just don't want to replace batteries or turn on and off each light individually. That was annoying the second day I had them. :-(

Help needed for Family Room with Poor Natural Light!

I think we are going to reface the fireplace so we can put a flatscreen above. I am also thinking maybe we could angle the couch and put it where the tv currently is. We cant put anything against the wall where the large mirror is lcoated, this is the primary foot traffic area and the 'short' end of the room. I still like the idea of a light colored rug, even with a toddler and two dogs, maybe I can find something indoor/outdoor (the current blue rug is indoor/outdoor) or one of those flatweave rugs, they seem to hold up well - no????

Entry Way Help Needed

HI -- No console or table or pass through . On the stair wall , I would have a big fancy framed standing floor mirror closest to the front door . Then a very long wood garden bench . Place a table lamp on the end or each end (can sit on some books )of the bench instead of using a table . Maybe a basket or two under and a throw draped casually. Hang some Art behind (not stepped)like two framed prints or a big painting . On the other side , either cover over the opening and have a another painting or a décor piece there. Or have closed wood shutters put on. A nice runner rug . Add a more prominent casing /molding around the front door to make it look more important .

While it is true daylilies, Hemerocallis species and hybrids, are toxic to cats, this is typically a non-issue in an outdoor garden situation. I - like scores of other gardeners - have gardened all my life with pets: dogs, cats and bunnies. And never once have any of my pets eaten anything growing outdoors other than a few munches of grass to control a digestive issue. They are just not at all interested in grazing on greens, especially cats, which are totally carnivorous. This is far more an issue with bored indoor cats nibbling on houseplants or cut flowers, not ones that are allowed to come and go freely outdoors.

btw, daylilies are just the tip of the iceberg......the list of common garden plants that are toxic to cats is in the 100's!! If cats were the slightest bit interested in eating any of these, they would be dropping like flies. It just doesn't happen with any degree of frequency.....even with feral cats!! Our pets are a lot smarter than we give them credit for :-)

Not only would it be sneaky and unethical to kill off your landlord's pot of daylilies without his knowledge, it is unnecessary. If you contine to have concerns despite all evidence to the contrary, then present him with your concerns and ask to have it removed. Or relocated. Or elevated so that is harder to access.

• tigereye

Keep your cat inside. It is much safer for the cat. Coyotes love to munch on cats. They also run the risk of cars, hawks, people that hate cats, and eating rodents that have been poisoned with rat kill. They will drink antifreeze if it drips. All of that will kill them, daylilies are the least of your worries.

I am a cat lover and none of my cats go outside. If you insist on letting your cat outside, you need to get a Catio to keep the cat contained.

ETA: If you think you don't have coyotes, you are wrong. They are everywhere. They just nabbed a cat inside a 6 foot solid wood fence, in front of the owner, in my very urban city.

Anna Dorthe thanked tigereye
  • Anna Dorthe

Hi dear, thank you for your comment. About the coyotes, I live in Switzerland so no worries about those we don’t have them. (:

As for the rest, my garden is inside the house, it’s a court and a garden. So no worries about cars and other issues that go with them. As for the streets, the only access to it is protected by a screen door ever time the cat goes out. My window who are quite high are also protected by screen so I can open without fearing the cat to fall. The garden is mostly on a tiny hill so not much pollution from others or other gardeners as we are alone to have a garden in the area. Just an issues with those lilies ahaha si apart from that my cat lives in a very safe place and so does the other pets of the house

• tigereye

Still keep the cat inside. It is not your house and the person who owns it can have whatever they want. I would bet that the rest of the plants are poisonous also. Why don't you list everything else in the garden?

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants

Anna Dorthe thanked tigereye
  • Brad KY 6b

I have always had outdoor cats. Cats are much happier outdoors. They love to climb trees, catch critters, etc. People I know with indoor cats have the grumpiest cats imaginable. Nothing makes them happy because a cat is an outdoor animal. Keep them out! Paranoia abounds in our society, trying to keep everything and everyone so safe they are afraid to move. Most animals have a sense of what is poison and avoid dangerous stuff. Less so dogs because many breeds have their natural instincts bred out.

I have had cats and daylilies since the 1960's. Cats love to sleep in them. The are NOT a problem for cats. They are a nice shady place to sleep.

Daylilies, much to the surprise of many, are NOT lilies. They are a completely different thing. They are not toxic to cats. Here's an article. https://www.daylilynetwork.org/blogpost/660039/132589/Are-Daylilies-toxic-to-cats

PS there is no way to kill them, not even round up, beyond digging them up. And the orange ones have a way of coming back anyway.

Anna Dorthe thanked Brad KY 6b

What a load of hooey!!

• Daylilies ARE toxic to cats Often just digestive upset but also renal toxicosis. And there is plenty of scientific evidence to back that up. Just look it up!
    • It is also well documented by any vet and amost all feline behavioral authorities that indoor cats live longer and healthier lives than those allowed to wander outside. Less exposure to contagious feline diseases, less fighting (cats are very territorial), less danger from wildlife, cars and a host of other issues. Indoor cats just need stimulation and exercise through play with their owners and visibility to watch the outdoors. If your indoor cat is "grumpy", then you are not tending to it properly.
  • Anna Dorthe

Finally someone who make sense. Thank you.

• Brad KY 6b

Hooey???????????? Not used to such rude responses on this forum.

I'm not buying the indoor cat theories. It is just paranoia. Cats have survived through the centuries outside just fine.

Most of our outdoor cats lived 14+ years and healthy. Only one had a few issues. Other neighborhood cats were similar. Never had an indoor one because I saw how awful they all are plus we have cat allergies and I hate cat hair in the house--gross. Some of the indoor ones I knew had leukemia, 2 had severe allergies and had to have shots, one mild allergies, one major food allergies. None of them lived as long as the outdoor cats I knew/know. One of our cats fought, but survived just fine, even though he always lost. Most outdoor cats fear cars.

Many on the daylily forum have cats who are in the daylilies with no problem, just as mine for 60 years. I gave you a link. I read the contrary. Regardless, daylilies are not a threat cause cats don't eat them. I'm not gonna be paranoid. Experience teaches that cats are ok around them. I also have real lilies which the cats just ignore like they don't exist.

• popmama

My cats have never touched a single daylily in my yard. I also had a friend who was a daylily collector. She had over 1,200 varieties in her yard. She also happened to be a kitty-cat collector. Never once did any of her hundreds of cats eat a daylily.

• tigereye

No, Gardengal agreed with us. You are not listening. You just need to move.

• tigereye

I just switched off notifications. You don't want to listen. I am through beating my head against the brick wall of dumbness.

• Brad KY 6b

Anna,

I respectfully request that you remove this thread from the daylily forum. Such rudeness and debate is not what we are about, though I allowed myself to be baited into it. Some of us use chemical weed killers and fertilizers, others do not, and we do not call each other dumb or full of hooey or not making sense. We allow for different opinions and choices and stick to the topic: daylilies.

All you need to do is delete the whole thread from your original post.

thanks,

Brad

Why should she delete it? She asked a valid question and it was answered.....quite accurately by most I might say and by those who also grow daylilies and garden with pets.

Opinions are one thing but when you contradict scientifically supportable statements, then it goes beyond opinion and just is regurgitating a bunch of baloney or making blanket anecdotal comments that have no basis in reality.

• Brad KY 6b

There you go again gardengal. STOP being rude.

You are mistaking rudeness with accuracy. And I am free to express myself any way I like. If you don't lke it, don't participate. Pretty simple, really..........

• Anna Dorthe

Dear Brad,

I am sorry if you find my topic inappropriate, however I will absolutely NOT delete this topic. I am sorry, but my question is entirely valid and as I demonstrated to you by the Article, YOU, yourself provided me with, dailylilies are INDEED harmful to cat and even deadly. Read it entirely till the end and read better because obviously you missed the point. If you wish to combine both cats and lilies in the same environment that is your choice. and I do respect it. However, I find difficult to accept that ever since I started this topic I have been judged and seen as a paranoid person who imagine threats. We have been a few here to demonstrate that toxicity of lilies for pets is a REAL thing... I guess we really know our subject when it comes to the little one we love.It might be true that some cat would never touch those awful flower however as the pistil of lilies is enough to harm pets, I will not take any chance to put my beloved through that and through an invasive vet treatment that has no garantie to save my pet. So why can't you just accept that and leave the topic ?

Now, I am sorry if the language Gardengal used offended you, honestly i am. But this is another person than me so i don't have to take responsibility for this. We are all adults around here and we all know how to behave nicely... And again what you do with your cats IS YOUR problem not mine. My cat is my responsibility and my love, she already went through two poisonings from stupid insecticide, so there's no way I will risk a third one. Please, I ask you respectfully to acknowledge my concerns and to respect my free will of speech. If you feel like this conversation/topic doesn't resonate with you, then please by all means, you are very welcome to leave and let us be among cat lovers and knowers until we find a solution good enough for my issue. Sincerely, Anna

• tigereye

Anna, you wanted help to kill someones plants. You wanted to do it by lying about what you did. That is inexcusable even to protect your cats. You could protect your cat best, by keeping it inside where you could keep anything out you wanted.

It DOES NOT MATTER ABOUT THE DAYLILLY! It is not your house and you would have no problem at all if you kept the cat inside.

• Brad KY 6b

Anna,

I don't mind you having a different opinion. As I said we on the daylily forum have different opinions on things and don't call each other being full of balony, hooey, brick wall of dumbness [tigereye], acting like there is no scientific evidence for any of my thoughts, and even your comment "finally someone who made sense" is rather rude in a backhanded way. I am not going to comment in this thread again. I gave my opinion which is indeed scientific {science is all about observation, and the observation of not only daylily people on this site but others, and owners of daylily gardens across the nation, many if not most seem to have healthy, thriving cats].

enjoy your cat

Brad

• signet_gw(6b)

I like cats but don't have them due to allergies. However, that being said , I believe cats need to go outside ..... If they were trained to go to the bathroom outside and then right back in , then I would say it might be ok to keep them constantly indoors other than to relieve themselves. They are great animals but having them walking through litter boxes and then through your house including on furniture and kitchen counters ......well sorry , that is just yuck !

Sorry but I agree with Brad , Cats should have access to the outdoors . That being said , I am not sure why the author finds it necessary to be sneaky about wanting to kill the daylily . Why not just ask the landlord again and again to remove it or remove it herself and deal with the confrontation. If it doesnt suit him to move it and you don't have the hutzpah to do it yourself and deal with the aftermath then the only recourse would be to move. .However , being as you said this is an indoor cat If the cat does not go outdoors , why is it a problem..

I also agree with Brad in that this forum everyone is treated with respect and is not the place for treating people or their opinions with distain , it doesn't hurt to be polite . This is a forum that promotes the daylily plant. Perhaps , not quite the right place to inquire about killing them .

Of course this is another case where the mulitple forum choices brings a topic to an incorrect forum and creates issues that don't need to be created

• organic_kitten

I have heard all about daylilies being toxic for cats, but I have a large daylily garden. My neighbor has a cat feeder. My Yard is one of their favorite places to be, and none of them has ever suffered any ill effect from them. The daylilies are much more likely to suffer from the cats. They love to lay in them, and they also love to use my mulch as a bathroom, so I have to take precautions to eliminate as much as possible of that.

I do have five cats of my own, that I have adopted from some of the ferals and their kittens that the neighbor feeds. They are all indoor cats because that is safer for them as there are dogs around. And Brad, they are at all grumpy, but then there are five of them...they know their names and come running when called...except for Gus. He was the last arrival, and the others tend to pick on him..

I have recently had a garden cat adopt me. I am trying to fatten him up as he is very skinny and he is improving...He will be neutered quite shortly for his safety and to prevent additional feral cats being born here. I have ll I can handle now.

I will say this is probably not the place with the most experience in intentionally killing daylilies, since a daylily death is ordinarily neither desired nor sought by the posters here; and instead causes unhappiness.

kay

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Anna, what you are considering doing to the daylilies is wrong. I cannot help but question your motives behind coming to a plant forum, a daylily forum no less, requesting information about how to secretly kill it.

I wish I knew where you lived so that I could have a nice little chat with your landlord.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

I have 9 outdoor cats and lots and lots of daylilies on my farm. Never had a problem. One thing that has not been mentioned - daylilies bloom once a year, about 2 months [if you have alot]. This potted lily will put up scapes, bloom and go back to being a green plant. You live in a shared garden. The person with the daylily, [the landlord I think?] has just as much right to planting what he wants as you do to worry about your animals. You have no right to destroy a plant on his property. Your solution? Move. Or discuss the problem with him - elevating the plant would be a possible solution. Being a sneak and lying is not a solution. Were I a landlord and find that a leasee willfully destroyed my property, they would be asked to leave. You need to examine your morals and come up with a civilized, mature solution.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

How about the obvious solution? Fashion a chicken wire cloche or a wooden frame to place over the container in order to keep the cats from gaining access.

Ask the landlord first. He/she may wish to have unimpeded access to the plants.

• Sam CO z5

Funny my many cats have eaten daylilies for years with no ill effect. They LOVE chewing the leaves. I had always heard it was only true lilies that was the problem and never thought about it again. Hope you find a way to keep your cats and your neighbors plants safe!