jim1961_gw

SUMMER is here... Seasonal thread part 2

Summer is here everyone! Dog days of Summer can be very trying but I hope everyone has a great Summer rose growing season!

Post pics and just have fun!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

COREOPSIS started blooming

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

This thread intimidates me so much, but I'm taking the plunge before there are fifty more posts--ha.

Jim, do you know which coreopsis this is? I was wrong about it being Early Sunrise. I love that color combo, too, of Rozanne and Campfire rose in back of it. I'm wondering if the coffee grounds you used are a good fertilizer, and the reason for all those buds. I hope they inhibit midge, too. If that happens, you'd better make a trademarked product out of the grounds and earn some money off your idea. I know that won't work, darn it. I love your doggy's portrait--what an expressive, friendly face.

Lisa, I got a chuckle out of your post, too. A couple of days ago, I noticed some stubborn little seeds embedded in my T-shirt. I was pretty sure they were Chinese forget me not seeds, and your post confirmed it. You are much more meticulous than I am--I just break of stems, leaving a shorter plant, and scatter the stems with seeds all over, plus I never look to see if they're ripe. I do the same for penstemon and snapdragons, and have had pretty good luck with new seedlings of those. I'm going to post a photo below of what I think is anchusa Blue Angel. It doesn't seem to look like other anchusa pics I've seen. Let me know if you think it's something else, please. It has very definite bell shaped blooms, which I love. I hope Millie continues to enjoy life and is comfortable.... PCdM is certainly beautiful. What a gorgeous color.

Flowers, I was so sorry to read about Daisy and her ordeal at the vet's. How is she doing now? This is such a hard time-- I kind of know about it from past experience. The best thing is having a really good vet, and offering Daisy the best life she can have in her time left, which you do. With the good care you give her, it could be years. Thinking of you always....I've got lots and lots of books, and I'm very, very lazy. But eventually, they will appear on your doorstep. Did you ever read Before We Were Yours? And The Dry? I've got those two, but I thought you mentioned having read them. I've read all 10 Flavia book twice now. The author better live well into his 80s cause I want more! The poor guy is at least 80 and probably feels like he's a slave to Flavia. I've missed commenting on some of your beautiful roses, but those Munstead Wood blooms stand out in my ancient brain. They were luscious. I still crave Ispahan, once bloomer or not, but no space. I vow to replace Brother Cadfael this coming spring. Bro's spring "show" mostly balled. He promptly rebloomed, and those bloom both balled and burnt up. When Bro was younger, this didn't happen. I hope Leo can fill in the giant space fast that Bro will leave. Give Daisy a pet from me.

OK, Lisa. Is this anchusa or not? Thanks for your reply. Diane

Swiss chalet mish mash part 2

Consider mirrored barn doors for the storage area. Agree that the change of drapery would help a lot. I suggest a rod that goes from one side of the room to the other tying into the board across the top of the storage area. Love the idea of wrought iron. Drapery panels in crisp white linen? the panels can close over the window if needed for privacy but mostly hang beside the window completely exposing the view and light. If you love the pine then paint only the beams white which will lighten the look a lot. Instead of small bedside lamps I would install wall sconces - they are perfect for your situation. The night stands need to be taller. Consider 'floating shelf' type night stands so the floor space is open. It might be possible with a little modification to mount the night stands you have onto the wall and achieve a similar effect. Use European size pillows with shams that extend above the headboard. This will add to the cozy feel. LOVE the pop of color you brought in with the hot pick pillow. Also love the textural comforter in the pic above. If you like animal print this room would be the perfect place for it as in a throw over the end of the bed or for the seat of the chair in the corner or maybe replace the chair with a stool upholstered in animal print.

HATING my foyer Part 2 :erinbono

If you're in doubt about the red, take a look at overstock.com. Search for console table. Lots and lots of lovely ones. I sort of gambled that you had red in your rug. And I did see a reddish picture frame on your table. Which is why I thought that a red console could work. But it is always difficult to judge colours from photos on line, so you'll have to see for yourself if it will work or not. If in doubt... look for something that you're absolutely sure about. You can live without one ;-) mffor, you've got it made! And you've selected lots of lovely mirrors too. Enjoy the lovely sunshine.

Help with drapes part 2

@toriat - do you live near a Country Curtains store, or is this a new service they offer? Never heard of them sending a consultant, but I've used plenty of their products for my clients and myself. Not sure how they operate with the new owners, but they used to send out 10 free fabric samples at a time. The do have several blackout/thermal styles. I've used their thermal weaver's cloth for west windows in a vacation rental property.

Would You Live Here? part 6

The new castle, if only the floors weren't so that I don't dare to step on them... Shame they didn't have money for someone to hang that chandelier on a decent height. Someone wrote that these two rooms are almost a house to someone. Almost so. For most people in the world that kitchen/dining area is More space than they have in their entire house of eight people. And their 'house' costs 1,000 dollars, top. We are living in a very weird world with very weird people in it.
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

What a cool, refreshing photo, Diane. (It's hot here.) Is that campanula growing in your lawn? It is definitely happy.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Ha, ha, flowers. That's a photo of what I think is anchusa Blue Angel. I threw out the seed in that spot and other places where the stuff is growing. It's definitely not campanula. And it's hot here, too. Some roses are already reblooming, and some like the ever so weird The Prince haven't stopped blooming since the middle of May. He's also getting quite large. All but a few of his blooms and buds look burnt up or eaten on by whatever plagues a few of my roses that get eaten out buds. Yet The Prince keeps churning theblooms out. What did I feed him that is causing this? I'm so disappointed in Rouge Royale. His blooms always look burnt up except a few. Plus the deer got his entire second flush the other night, but he's revived fast. I'm letting this post be a rant about bad, bad roses. They will be punished. My Abe Darby is still a little loser, but looking better--very slowly. I will never buy another own root rose again. Even my own root third Julia Child, though doing better, does not perform on near the level of my grafted Julias. Oh, how I want Eustacia Vie, plus Leo. I'm sure I'll be too slow on the order to get Eustacia this spring. I love the Japanese rose you posted the link for. I'm sure it would curl up in flames in this climate, but the exquisite thing is so lovely and unique. Here are a few more Augusta photos I didn't have filed when I posted the first bunch a while back. Diane

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Jim, that is the happiest, sweetest picture of your doggie. I hope her love and companionship are helping you and your wife through this very worrying time.

Your Charlene de Monaco is so lovely Lisa.

Those veggies look good enough to eat! Oh well, that is the point, isn't it?

I think this is Anchusa azurea 'Alkanet' although it doesn't quite live up to the picture on Annie's Annual's of a veritable cloud of blue flowers.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Diane, you have Campanula rotundifolia which is a real treasure. I have grown it in Alaska and it is wonderful. I have so far failed with Anchusa although I love photos.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Ok, girls, which is it? Anchusa Blue Angel or Campanula rotundifolia? I need to know because I need to get some.

Speaking of good enough to eat. That's exactly what I was going to say about Augusta Luise. I will faint dead away if mine ever looks like that. Diane, you have the magic touch.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Diane's lovely photo is Campaula rotundifolia. She no doubt sprinkled the other seeds but this is what came up. My husband sprinkled some wild flower seed that turned out to be grass seed in his case which really pissed him off after his careful site preparation.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Just saw your pic, Ingrid. I like that Anchusa very much, also. I can never have enough blue perennials. Azurea Alkanet is going on the list for the nursery, too. This is the time of year I especially need blue in the garden because it's so hot through the end of summer.

Confession - for getting 2 Augustas (It was a fluke, I didn't do it on purpose), I got my just desserts. One has died.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Forgive me for being obnoxious, but I missed some posts.

Lisa, Pompon Flower Circus is a form I love. I had it before I knew to bring pots in for winter. It isn't mentioned much here, but such a beautiful rose. Love Charlene! Not sure how she will do here, but hopeful. Both of those grow to perfection in your garden. I know that you know what it's like to be on the brink of losing a kitty you adore. And, thank you to everyone who thought of Daisy.

Jim, your flowers and roses are outstanding this year. Are you saying coffee grounds may possibly ward off midge? I don't even want to think about it, but I'm seeing signs, which I hope is just wilting from the heat. I've cut some wilted new growth off, then regretted it because there went a bunch of buds and the plant seems fine. I need to do some research, but with company coming in tonight, I won't get too it for a few days.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

woooooo weeeeeeeeee Nanadoll I really like your pics! :-)

Yes Gracie and our other pets love keep us happy and going ingrid! Thanks...

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Thanks you so much, Jim. I think your pets are just as happy with you as you are with them. I may try some coffee grounds to use as a fertilizer. We generate plenty of it around here--both coffee grounds and fertilizer--ha.

Flowers, did you see my post above the "anchusa" photo. I mentioned some things to you. I am so sorry one of your AL has died. What could have been the problem? You certainly don't deserve those desserts--pooh. I hope you don't have midge. It's never come here, and I wouldn't recognize if I had it, I guess. So, please stay away, you blasted midge--and from everyone else's garden as well.

Now to my continued state of confusion--Lisa and Ingrid (Sheila, as well): What the heck is this, then?? I thought it was Chinese forget me not, which seed I also threw all over. I haven't sown any wildflower seed anywhere near that entire large bed, and the "anchusa" is in several places. I've grown quite a number of campanula, and none had stems or leaves anything like this "anchusa". I need to do some research. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

I bow to your superior knowledge, Sheila. After some research, I reluctantly (I hate being wrong-ha) have concluded that the photo up thread is indeed Campanula rotundifolia. And I apologize, flowers, for blowing off your correct assumption with a "pish, pish, flowers, that's not campanula".

I also learned that this campanula doesn't do well in zones warmer than 6--another pish. It's doing beautifully in my hot garden and has been blooming since mid May with no let up in sight. It's "supposed" to bloom in midsummer and like dry soil. Mine is growing happily in overwatered rose soil.

So, for cash money, what is the "Chinese forget me not" stuff just above?

And how did that campanula get into my garden, for !@#$% sake? Diane

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Diane, there is no post from you above the 'anchusa' photo - so far. Maybe Houzz will load it sometime today. As for Augusta, it is totally my fault. I left her in the bucket of water too long. I couldn't decide where to put her, but any place would have been better than losing it.

Lest anyone think I'm wasting a beautiful day sitting here at my computer, I'm not. I'm wasting it cleaning this room and granted, it's taking me forever, but I hear the post notifications.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Did more research and my forget me not seems to be correct--it has a different center than anchusa Blue Angel or Alkanet. I know all of you wanted to know this. But flowers these are all blue flowers you can try. All are from widely available seed, or you could go with Annie's Annuals for the anchusa. The campanula is a perennial--this is the second year for my plants. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

That's so weird, flowers, because I can see it, but no one has liked it, so maybe no one has seen it (or else, you all really don't like it-ha). Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Oh, me again--can you see my post and photos about the Chinese forget me not? I hate Houzz. Diane

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Diane, I'm seeing Jim's coreopsis, then your anchusa/campanula pic. Next is me, you, Augusta pics, then Ingrid and Sheila and so on. No post from you above the campanula/anchusa pic on my screen. The pic is all by itself.

I see your 2 pics of Chinese Forget Me Nots with a post from you before and after the photos.

Maybe the quail are responsible for the surprise plants. I'm still wondering how that Martin Frobisher got into my garden a couple years ago. I don't think a bird dropped it in, but I didn't plant it.

Now I'm seeing a short post I didn't see before about blue flowers to try - anchusa is from Annie's Annuals - the campanula is a perennial..... That post is 3 above this one. I think Houzz is messing with us.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Flowers, there seem to be about three missing posts now. Each is a different length. I just scared a deer off a few minutes ago, napping away in the middle of our back yard. I sprayed last night, so no roses were eaten, though the bird feeder has been disturbed. This particular deer has been hanging around a lot being destructive and piggy. Diane

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I love your Chinese for get me nots too, Diane. I bought one from Annie's Annuals and it reseeded, but then the seedlings got eaten sadly. Maybe your campanula came in on another plant or by the birds. It's a great plant in any case. I'm going to have to get another of the Chinese FMNs because the usual ones don't like it here.

• Ann9BNCalif

Here are roses that have bloomed in the past few days.

Magnificent Perfume from Heirloom. This rose is starting year two and finally showing some growth and blooms. It does have a sweet fragrance and the blooms can last a long time. This bloom looks much flatter and less multi-petaled as usual but I'm not sure why.

Mary Magdalene starting her second flush. I posted this photo on Facebook and was told that it's no longer offered by David Austin. :((

First Crush has been very slow to take off. It's from RU and I have to conclude that it must do better as a grafted rose. I saw it at the Alden Lane Nursery where I believe Cori Ann got hers and it was spectacular. So far the Kordes own-root roses like this one, Summer Romance, and Earth Angel have been slow to grow in my climate, each one still fairly small.

Benjamin Britten - I finally got the cerise version of this rose to photograph fairly accurately.

And last but not least, the lovely Augusta Luise in all her ruffled and colorful glory!

Ann

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Sheila, thanks--I think you could just buy some Chinese forget me not seed and throw it around like I did. Back to the campanula--here's my theory--because there are several campanula clumps in different places in the flower bed in exactly the spots I remember seeding what I thought was anchusa, I think the seed supplier mixed something up. This isn't the first time I have suspected seed mixup from this seller. I'm very happy with the campanula, but I may quit buying from the seller I'm in doubt about.

What a host of beautiful roses, Ann. I'm happy your Augusta Luise is producing such gorgeous, full blooms. Your paler colored roses look so fresh and crisp--how do you do it this time of year? Can't pick a favorite among them for sure. Diane

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Diane, isn't it irritating when the deer take up residence and act like your yard is their own personal campground! I guess we did the same thing to them, come to think about it.

The missing posts are still missing.

Sheila and Diane, what is the difference between Forget-Me-Nots and Chinese FMN?

Ann, aren't you glad you have Mary M! I love that rose for it's subtle variable color. It's also a fast grower and good bloomer and strangely enough, thrips don't bother it. I WISH I could grow First Crush. Removed one last year and will probably remove the other two this year unless they do miraculous things very soon. Mine are own root. And, your AL is very special. Those blooms can take on many different looks and I love them all.

• robw1963

Japanese beetles have decided to visit. It sounds impossible, I know, but in the 15 or so years that I've grown roses, this is my first experience with these little buggers. Sprayed Neem Oil today, so I hope that keeps them at bay. Bought a couple more bottles tonight, so I'll have plenty. Still no good pictures to share, unless I could figure out how to take pictures of the heat and humidity. :(

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

I'm sorry about those JBs, Rob. What luck after all this time. I think I'd rather have pesty deer than those beetles. Have you tried picking them off the flowers and dropping them in a bucket of soapy water. I don't get the beetles, but have seen the soapy water mentioned a lot on the forum. Of course, if you have hundreds of beetles, things could get involved. Diane

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

They fall right in the water! The soapy water breaks the surface tension so they drown! You just shake the rose right over the water. Usually if there's more than one on a rose they're too involved with each other to even notice that they're meeting their demise.

• pippacovalent

Wow I like the Combo of Ben Britten next to Augusta Luise...wow!!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Rob, I get visited by anywhere from 3 to 60+ Japanese beetles per year..Not bad really..I knock them off bushes into soapy water bucket...Cause if they are smashed or left on ground to die they seem to attract more JB's..So after a soapy death I dispose of them into the trash...

Wonderful photos! :-) :-) :-)

Can you spot my garden helper in the below photo???

• oursteelers 8B PNW

What a great picture Jim! What type of bird is it?

• robw1963

Thanks, all. I've heard the soapy water solution before, so I will definitely be giving that a try.

• Lisa Adams

Definitely a Chinese Forget-me-Not, Diane. I threw out an old package of seed for the other Forget-me-Nots this past fall. I think they also call them “water FMN. They are much lighter and not as easily noticed as the Chinese ones. I’ll see if I have any left.

Not the best picture, but I’m not very impressed with them to begin with. Not enough blooms opened at the same time to make much of a statement. Lisa

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

Oh, my! So many beautiful roses, and companions, and cute children and pets! There is absolutely no way that I can keep up with this thread, but I sure love seeing everyone’s pictures!

Nanadoll, it is my great dream to someday grow snapdragons like yours. Lol. I gobble up every picture you post!

Seeing the pictures of Augusta Louise reminds me how sad I am that I didn’t order one while they were in stock. I really must to get one! It is the loveliest Rose. Thank you all for sharing.

Ingrid, your garden has such a wild elegance about it. I so enjoy virtually strolling through it.

My days are consumed with tending to my very favorite garden, the three small children who grow like weeds. :) Because of this, I’m afraid there are far too many weeds in my plant a garden, but I’m happy to make that exchange. LOL.

here is the middle one, delighting in a giant brunnera:

And my tiny man, trying to smell the decadently scented cobra lilies with his poor little stuffy nose:

Playing peekaboo with my eldest:

Other than children, what’s blooming around here:

Gilded Sun, not my favorite color or form but treasured because of his health, floriferousness, performance in dry heat, and resistance to Japanese Beetles.

Luna Hibiscus, exploding with buds. Planted near the sandbox and swimming pool to give a tropical vacation flair.

Pretty Jessica, happy to be in the ground at last, responding with new basals and buds

A newly planted Poet’s Wife, one of the Wayside clearance steals.

Burgundy Iceberg hasn’t succumbed to BS yet this year. We shall see. Last year it was totally defoliate. Just sticks with flowers on the end.

Havana Blues geranium. I am still on the lookout for Rozanne locally, as the blue shade is more appealing to me, but this shade of mauve/lavender is very attractive with yellow roses such as Julia Child.

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

Continuing:

Another shot of my beloved Cobra lilies. They scent up the whole front yard, and provide color when many other plants are resting.

David Phlox, planted as a sprig last year. Looking forward to a grand, white, waving stand of it as he spreads out.

A baby echinacea Pink Double Delight.

Poppy, my mole deterrent, mouse eating, frog catching garden helper.

A charming chartreuse sedum I picked up. NOID

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Those are gorgeous blooms, but I agree you're making the right decision letting the weeds prosper while tending to those sweethearts. Really sweet pictures. The one taken with the Brunnera reminds me of those Michigan bulb ads of the giant hostas or the famous baby on the floating lily leaf. I love it!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

So many beautiful roses and other flowers, even more beautiful little boys and a very helpful cat! Ann, your roses are all gorgeous, and Diane your Augusta Luise is sublime. I don't know if I've mentioned your skill as a photographer, Diane, but it is outstanding. I'm struggling in the heat and so are the roses, and wish I could transport myself and the garden to a cool place for the next four months or so.

Thank you all for the pleasure and companionship this wonderful thread provides. It's such a privilege to share in your gardens and your lives.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Ingrid, not to intrude too much but does your house have air conditioning? And does that help with your health?

Just curious because we don‘t have it (I am in a much cooler locale than you) but as I get older and our summers become hotter and longer I notice it affects my over all well being and I’m sure it adds to my insomnia which makes everything else worse.

I hope you get some cool breezes and maybe even a light shower or two :)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

flowers, I know you are busy with company, but oursteelers above needs to know some info on Northland (she wants to visit soon on her way back home). So, I hope you are able to touch bases with her.

Dillybean, here are a few more snap photos. You may have seen the first one (can't remember if I posted it before). This group has some natural hybrids, some that have overwintered, and some newly planted snaps. The colors on lots of the strange hybrids are wonderful, I think. Bicolor pink and rose, apricot and pink, apricot and yellow. The purple snaps are a new favorite. they are very tall, huge bloomed, azalea type snaps. Thanks so much for your comment and I'm sure your snaps will increase and look lovely with your care. Remember to snap off the spent stalks and throw them in your flowers beds for more easy new snaps. A little mess never hurt anyone.

More comments after the photos. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Photos didn't post--will try again. Jim, we may need a new thread. Thanks so much. diane

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

Ohhh, how lovely! Yes, that purple one is an incredible color. I seek it out on any flower I can find. Rare in roses (mine usually tend toward magenta/hot pink), I have a mum that supplies it, as well as Burgundy Iceberg rose.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

I wonder if I'll ever get to my afternoon chores. It's 98F, so I won't be outside until much later. It was bad enough yesterday at 97F--let h#ll on earth begin. I can tell you we have air conditioning, and it's running (itself to death-ha). I remember my days as a young married. We had no AC in our little house, and I sweat all night long with a big fan blowing on us and all windows open. I would lie in a lawn lounger in the evenings, reading, until it got pitch dark, and then reluctantly go inside to the house/furnace. But enough of past travails....

Lisa, thank you so much for confirming that I also grow Chinese forget me not. I went through all my seed packets from last and this year, and found nothing that could explain the campanula, but my Chinese forget me not seed came from Select Seeds. I like that seller a lot. I've heard of those water forget me nots, but since we're so dry, I didn't try them. I agree the Chinese type are more colorful.

Jim, I spotted that little helper of yours. You certainly capture some wonderful photos of insects and birds. I simply can't do it.

Dilly, you've got a smiling brunnera leaf. I think it's the cutest one. After the adorable and happy little boy, I like the useful kitty. She looks just like our old codger, Clancy, only your kitty is prettier. Same markings and colors almost exactly. I am so impressed with your roses, Cobra lily, and especially that hardy geranium, Havana Blues. I have too many Rozannes, and she is sprawly in my garden, though I love all her blooming. I love hibiscus Luna Red, which I also grow. You are a little ahead of us, so mine are not blooming quite yet. I hope the weather moderates before they pop open. Our dry heat just destroys hibiscus blooms. Your Julia Child looks great, and I hope she is a bloom machine for you.

Ingrid, many thanks--especially because I so admire your skill as a photographer. I'm sorry about your heat, which is bad here, too. It's that suffering time of year for plants and humans alike. A little rain might be nice, but it's not going to happen here. Take care from all of us, your gardening friends. Diane

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Dilly, Poppy does look like she's on the prowl, catching some mice and voles I hope! ))

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Flowers, I grew myosotis alpestris (alpine FMNS) Forget me Nots in Alaska and they are great in cool weather areas that are wet. The Chinese FMN seems to do well in heat and dry areas. They are Cynoglossum Amabile.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

You got it Nanadoll...

NEW SUMMER THREAD LINK BELOW:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5743678/summer-is-here-seasonal-thread-part-3

Thanks everyone for such great photos and conversations...Awesome!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Thank you, too, Jim. You are pretty awesome yourself. Diane