ckoeppel

Apartment Design

ckoeppel

I am moving to an apartment after 34 years of marriage. I would be interested in ideas as far as how to decorate and furniture placement.

• ckoeppel

Here is what it says. I just don’t always trust West Elm’s quality.

Kiln-dried engineered wood top and base.
    Covered in a water-based finish in White Lacquer

I am loving the open back chairs too!

• katinparadise

Engineered wood is a term that can be open to interpretation but I'm sure it's still better than MDF. I think that and the open back chairs would look really nice together. You can always add a centerpiece with a bit of brass to bring the brass from the chair legs to the table.

• ckoeppel

Great idea! Ok I am confident that is it!

• katinparadise

You have fabulous taste and I'm sure anything you choose will be beautiful!

DMS Design Associates

Ckoeppel I see you are making good progress!

MDF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

Engineerer Wood:

Engineered wood - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineered_wood

MDF and Engineered wood are good for architectural work. I would not use this in a bathroom the fibers can expand when wet.

I would stick with solid wood for movable furnishings unless you like the look of the layered wood.

Hope this is helpful.

• ckoeppel

I am having a terrible time with delivery on sofas. I found this one that is immediate delivery. It is 82” and ivory real leather. Do you think it blends with all the other stuff I have selected?

• ckoeppel

And this is quick ship and comes in ivory plus three different sizes.

• jo_in_tx

I love that ivory sofa!

• jo_in_tx

One question. Is there any chance that you will ever have a guest sleep over? If the back cushions are removable on one of those EA sofas, it would likely be very comfortable to sleep on. My daughter has a similar sofa in her study, and I prefer to sleep there than on the mattress in her guest room. :)

Good luck with your choices!

• ckoeppel

Do you like the ivory leather or the EA? If I have guests it will just be my daughters and they will sleep with me. I just know EA is super quality but also expensive.

• katinparadise

I prefer the style of the EA based on the direction you're heading but if cost is a consideration, I think the other could work as well.

• ckoeppel

I love the EA too. There is about a $800 difference but I tend to agree with you on style.

• katinparadise

Personally, I wouldn't trust the quality of a leather sofa for $1200. It seems as though it may be worth the price difference for such a large and important piece.

• ckoeppel

Agree!

• ckoeppel

The leather is actually on sale for $995 and if I get the 83” sofa the EA is $1799

• katinparadise

I think I might go with the EA sofa, given the standard of quality and reputation.

• ckoeppel

I found a few coffee tables I like. At this point I will be moving in with no furniture and sleeping on an air mattress.

• katinparadise

I like the idea of a glass top table if you plan on a beautiful rug. Whatever you choose should be about 2/3 the width of the sofa. How do you feel about an oval table? I think they're a little more functional for a longer sofa than a round, which may not be as easy to reach.

• ckoeppel

I love the idea of an oval sofa. Actually that is what I want just struggling to find one that catches my eye. I will be using this rug to pull in the navy subtly.

• ckoeppel

This rug

• ckoeppel

I spoke to an Ethan Allen designer today. She sent me a pic with the ivory fabric next to white paper. She suggested a 90”. I am attaching a pic with that swatch along with the blush chair and the blush swatch from the open back dining chairs.

• ckoeppel

The fabric for the open back chair is a lighter blush than the chair but still in the same color family. I have been going back and forth about the EA sofa or the crate and barrel sectional. The salesperson sent me a “pumice” swatch. I have attached the three together. The sectional is so comfortable and I have seen it in person. I am just not sure the style blends with what I am trying to achieve.

• ckoeppel

Here are my three options. Keep in mind the sectional would be in the pumice or lace color. And the EA in the ivory fabric above. The section lace color is attach too.

• katinparadise

I really do believe that in the long run, you would be happier with the Ethan Allen sofa. Sectional is very difficult to arrange and can take up a lot of space. The other two Fabrics are absolutely beautiful.

• ckoeppel

I really love this for a number of reasons. It has a gray wash. It is 60” wide

• katinparadise

That's very pretty. Gives you lots of storage and room to display things but doesn't feel heavy and overwhelming.

• ckoeppel

I moved in today. I am doing it gradually because I have no help. It was a very emotional day for me. I am grateful I never purchased big pieces. I am measuring and laying paint tape tomorrow. I am confident there isn’t much room for a table. Anyway I saw this shower curtain at Target. It looks black but is more of a gray. What do you think?

• ckoeppel

Instead of an island what do you think about this extension table. Then I would have baking space plus dinner space.

https://www.article.com/product/12512/oscuro-black-extendable-dining-table

• katinparadise

Congratulations on your move! I'm sure it was difficult-it's a major life change. But how freeing it must feel to make the space completely your own!

The space always feels different when you're in it moving about. Taping off sizes is an excellent idea. It will let you really see what will fit comfortably in the space. I like the Article table a lot. It's only table height though, so would it be comfortable for baking?

I like the shower curtain. It's bright and bold and would make a real statement!

• ckoeppel

I love the article table too but the height might be a problem. I found another island on crate and barrel that might work. The Sheridan received terrible reviews.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/fillmore-kitchen-island/s165345

• katinparadise

Looking at dimensions, I think the C&B is a better option. The 28" width and 54" length would let you seat 4 comfortably if needed. You'll want bar stools with a 24" seat height.

• katinparadise

The second one is 40", which is bar height. I'm also thinking that 24" wide is not going to be wide enough if you want to seat 4. I also like the storage drawers in the C&B. You can never have enough drawers!

• ckoeppel

I need help deciding on a bed. Delivery for the ZGallerie bed was Jan 2020. No way! I have these three in mind. The gray headboard is 57.75” high. The lower profile cream velvet has an 8” under bed clearance and an overall height of 39.75”. The taller cream velvet headboard height is 55”. I am using the Blush bedding above.

• ckoeppel

Also this is the rug I want. Would a 6’7” square size work for my living room? The 8’ 10” is on back order until Dec

• katinparadise

I love the first bed just because it's so different and I think it was one you originally said you liked as well. The second is fun but a platform bed can be hard to get used to if you've never had one before. I've seen the third on lots of websites and think it's rather classic looking. I'm not sure I really have a preference. Which way are you leaning?

6'7" for a rug may be a bit small. That's only 79" and if you're looking at an 83" sofa, it would definitely be too small. I see no one else carries it. Could it possibly wait until December?

• ckoeppel

Yea I can wait on the rug. So glad I asked. The first bed is $2400 and the platform bed is $1079. I guess if I spend money on anything a good quality bed is with it. I also inquired about this bed. I currently have it at home in a king. It is beautiful and is marked down to $1650 with free shipping. But is it weird to get the same bed? I have waited so long on deciding many items are selling out. Also what are your thoughts on these tables?

• katinparadise

I love the bed you already have! I don't think it would be weird. It's in a different space with different bedding and if you love it, why not?

I thought you had decided you didn't have room for a table?

• Yayagal

Your choices of couch and chairs is fabulous. I would look for a table that has a bit of gold as gold and pink are best friends. Then add small touches of gold accessories. I love the Melitta coffee table and the rug beneath it, stunning with your furniture.

• ckoeppel

Yea I am still not sure on the table regarding room.

• ckoeppel

I love the Melina coffee table too!

• happyleg

Love shower curtain & bedding.

• ckoeppel

Artwork is on sale. I know I need to get furniture first but which do you like best for the living room?

• katinparadise

Where would you put it?

• ckoeppel

I am not sure. Either above the table if a table will work or in a wall opposite the TV

• katinparadise

I think they're all lovely. I'm drawn to the third but that's because I love the water and it has a bit of a water/clouds feeling to me. It's certainly a matter of personal taste and what appeals to you though.

• ckoeppel

What do you think about this rug? Is it too busy!

• katinparadise

It's a beautiful rug but I don't see any of the navy you're saying you want to incorporate.