Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vulture61

The monsters are waking up...

Vulture61
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Last year we built 2 pergolas and I planted several vigorous vines by the pillars. I hope I won’t regret it. The idea is to have one tall and one short vine by each pillar so the tall one will keep growing over the pergola and provide shade.

1.- The well behaved monster: Potato vine. So far so good. Moderate growth rate and frequent delicate bloomings.

2.- Anredera cordifolia. Interesting foliage.

3.- Coral vine

4.- Mustang grape

5.- Thunbergia grandiflora. It came from the roots after winter and it already reached the 11’ pergola top.

Omar

Comments (30)

• blackwillow87
    4 years ago

Those are definitely monsters in the making. My coral vine has really taken off the past couple of weeks. It's wrapped itself around my banana plants, so I'm constantly having to pull it off. The trellis I have it on is way too small for it lol.

Vulture61 thanked blackwillow87
  • Vulture61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Let’s see if I can handle it, blackwillow. I think this year will be fine. I’m not sure if I would be able to in 2-3 years. I may end up leaving only one monster. We’ll see...

Omar

• blackwillow87
    4 years ago

I bet it's going to be stunning with all of those different colored vines in full bloom.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    4 years ago

Wow -- wonderful! Thank you for your willingness to test these vines in real time and in one place. You are a brave soul ... ;-) Kidding aside, it's going to be beautiful. Will look forward to more photos as they fill in.

Vulture61 thanked roselee z8b S.W. Texas
  • junegreen
    4 years ago

I love the flower on the second picture. The pods are as lovely. It is all getting ready to show off. Love it!

Vulture61 thanked junegreen
  • girlnamedgalez8a
    4 years ago

The pergolas are beautiful! It will be gorgeous when the vines get going.

Vulture61 thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    4 years ago

Nice to see your success with such a variety of vines all doing so well. Is the Anredera cordifolia tender enough to stay a smaller monster in Texas than the colossus I've heard it can become in the tropics? If not, your pergola may eventually need a second story. ;)

Vulture61 thanked bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
  • Vulture61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you y’all.

I am excited too to see how it will look when all those vines mature.

Some other monsters have not woken yet. A couple of passiflora “incense” and a Clematis drummordii have not taken of yet.

Most of times I calm down once I grow the plant and make better decisions but now I want them all.

bostedo, I planted the Anredera at the end of fall last year. It died to the roots and even though it came back in early spring, it didn’t start growing vigorously until July. The person who sold it to me didn’t mention anything about the aerial tubers that supposedly produces, so I think our Texan season is too short for the vine to become too big and heavy (fingers crossed)

Omar

• blackwillow87
    4 years ago

I can't wait to see the vines mature Omar. I pulled up my Blue Crown Passion Vine, but I'm still finding suckers popping up in one flower bed. I've tried multiple times to grow the native passion vine from seed because I'm curious about the fruit. I have a clematis pitcheri that has taken over a part of my shade garden. I have it in a large pot but that doesn't seem to stop it lol.

• Vulture61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

See, Cameron. Your determination is stronger than mine. The incense suckers drive me crazy but I’m a sucker for its flowers (pun intended)

Omar

• blackwillow87
    4 years ago

Incense is a stunning variety, I'd be a sucker for the blooms too lol. Right now my blue passionvine is climbing on an abelia bush. I don't have the heart to pull it up but if it starts getting out of hand I will.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

Good luck...Hope those vines don't sneak in you bedroom window and eat you alive while you're sleeping.

Vulture61 thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • Vulture61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Fingers crossed, Mara. Maybe I get to know the singing harp or the goose that lays golden eggs: Omar and the Beanstalks .

Omar

• Vulture61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A jungle! Cool!

Omar

• memetexas
    4 years ago

Thunbergia Grandiflora bloom

It is quite a bit darker blue/purple, old camera.

Vulture61 thanked memetexas
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    4 years ago

Wow -- I'd call that a monster flower alright. What a beauty!

Vulture61 thanked roselee z8b S.W. Texas
  • memetexas
    4 years ago

They are beautiful blooms, looking almost like an orchid.

Omar is in for a treat!

• Vulture61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hopefully so, meme!

Omar

• annieinaustin
    4 years ago

On a long ago Garden Conservancy Tour I saw a fabulous Clock Vine/Thunbergia grandiflora in central Austin where it seldom died back - the garden owner let it completely cover the garage roof and we saw it in full bloom in October.
    I tried to grow it, loved the few flowers it made but I have too much shade. Hope you post more photos when your vine blooms!

Vulture61 thanked annieinaustin
  • Vulture61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ll try, annie. So far, it doesn’t even have blooming buds.

Omar

• annieinaustin
    4 years ago

Clock vine is supposed to be light sensitive so it starts to set buds and bloom as days get shorter, like Pineapple Sage. I saw it on a couple of garden conservancy tours, both in October When I bought my plant it was spring and it came with buds because it had been growing in a greenhouse. It's almost August so good luck soon!

Vulture61 thanked annieinaustin
  • memetexas
    4 years ago

I had to climb up on a ladder to reach these.

The third pic is the true beautiful color.

• Vulture61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beautiful, meme.

Omar

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

That Thunbergi is gorgeous, Meme.

• memetexas
    4 years ago

The nicest part about this vine is that it is not destructive. When winter hits, if there is a freeze, the vines basically turn hollow and very pliable. They can be torn down or left for the spring growth to use for support to grow up faster and taller. Each vine can grow 5-6 inches+ overnight.

I am so glad you brought up this vine Omar because I had forgotten the name.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

So Omar, we are half way through the summer, with monster is outranking others in size? in performance? or otherwise.

Vulture61 thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • Vulture61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mara, the thunbergia is the one showing more ”short term” growth. I’ll post pictures tomorrow, but I’m well aware that the biggest monster in long term will be the Mustang grape. Chances are that the thunbergia will die to the root during winter and will start over in spring. The Mustang grape will keep its height and will sprout from the main trunk. The seedlings were born this year and one of them is already 4’. I’m pretty sure it will reach the top of the pergola in 3-4 years.

Omar

• Vulture61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s an update:

On this picture you can see the difference between the growth of Anredera and the growth of the Thunbergia:

Omar

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

My, that one at the top photo is really taking off, Omar. :)

Vulture61 thanked buttoni_8b