jinsung_choi

Improving poor floor plan of single story house in NorCal

Jason choi
last modified: July 9, 2019

Hello,

I recently bought a house about 1650sqft on a 7600sqft corner lot. It has a front door facing south and the garage facing east as shown in the floor plan below. though it has 2 bath, the bath2 is located behind the laundry room while the bath1 is shared between the hall and the master bed which is bed1. When I first looked at this house, I thought I needed to pass this but suddenly came up with an idea of adding a new bath in the closet1 & heater area; eliminating closet1 and move the heater up to the attic or to the garage. Also remove the door from the laundry to the bath2 and make a new door from the bed3 to the bath2.

Adding a bath3 will require a new permit for plumbing and electric, but no structural issue, and money. I understand that. One thing I concerns about here is how to floor plan a new bath! Since there are big windows on the existing WIC area as shown below, and I want to keep these windows for exterior cosmetic purpose and sunlight to the bath, it makes the bathroom floor plan difficult.

Here are some ideas I put together last night.

#1. original floor plan

#2. Keep the windows, but the toilet is on sight when open the door

#3. Keep the windows, toilet is away compared to #2, vanity is 90 degree shifted from the door

#4. no walk-in closet, maximize bathroom area

#5. vanity outside of wet area. small bath for toilet and shower, spacious walk-in closet?

$6. eliminate the windows and make a small windows for shower to the front door sidewall.

One side idea was to use the bath1 as a master bathroom and convert the closet1 & heater space into the half bath for the guest bathroom. this makes sense for overall house floor planning while the flow inside the master bedroom is not natural since the bath is on the left side of the bed and the closet is the south side of the bed.

Another side idea was to make a bed3 master bedroom by merging the closet3&4, converting the laundry into the walk-in closet, converting dining place into the laundry, and a part of living room becoming the dining place.

Any suggestion or great idea will be very helpful!

Jason choi thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • GreenDesigns

Buy a different house. Or get ready to spend at least 300K in your location for that much rearranging.

• Jason choi

Hello @GreenDesigns, 300k sounds too much even in bay area for a bathroom addition on the existing area, doesn't it? I am expecting less than 30k for this conversion.

Sativa McGee Designs

30K is a bare bones bathroom remodel for something already in place. Adding a bathroom would likely be 50K (in Washington state) probably closer to 100K in California because everything cost more.

• Jason choi

Thanks Sativa for providing information on budget. 30k was what I heard from my contractor. I guess it will vary a lot depending on who does the job?

• GreenDesigns

Yes, it depends on the person you hire. A “handy” type person that isn’t licensed and insured will end up costing you a LOT more in the end after the fines for no permits and inspections happen. And the inevitable seismic retrofitting required by the scope of such a project that your handy person doesn’t have a clue about is going to be an issue with the city as well. Red tags for days.

As a realistic start to home project costs. Double it as a start for your location differential. https://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2018/

• auntthelma

Opening the door between bed 3 and bath 2 is a great idea. Adding a third bath, in such a small house might be more than the house needs or wants. Make bath 1 into a beautiful bath to serve two rooms plus guests. Stage bed 2 as an office giving each of two bedrooms their own bath plus a ‘bonus room’, the office or third bedroom.