jennifer_doan72

design ideas for breakfast nook

Jennifer Doan

I can’t decide how to furnish my breakfast nook. It was too expensive to have a banquette custom built but now I’m unsure how to decorate.

Trying to decide between round table and 4 chairs or rectangle table with two benches or 4 chairs. Any thoughts? Open to other design ideas too!

• Jennifer Doan

Great suggestions! Thanks everyone!

I will probably go with the pedestal table, curved bench and 2 chairs.

Maybe sometime down the line we can get a custom banquette built!

• felizlady

Getting people seated on benches is really difficult in a small breakfast nook. Either have a banquette built for the curved wall and use chairs for everyone else, or just have chairs around a round table. I would put thick felt stick-on pads on the table legs because it will be moved often.

• D N

What are the dimensions of the nook?

• Not a Pro

following

BeverlyFLADeziner

IMO a round table is the only option with such a deep narrow space.

A Bistro chair is light enough scale to work in this petite space.

• Jennifer Doan

It’s not a perfect rectangle but the dimensions are 86”L x 73”W.

IMO you do not have space for a table other than maybe 30” with 2 chairs and even that will be tight.I would just put a comfy chair and a little table and enjoy morning coffee after the rest of the household has gone for the day.

• decoenthusiaste

Yes, it is too small for more than what Patricia suggested. Get your mind around using it in a different way than as a breakfast nook. Unless there are just 2 of you, it won't work. Focus on a new light fixture if you get a table. It should hang a lot lower over the table than the current one does. OTOH, if you have a bigger family and need the breakfast nook to function to feed a bunch every morning, try a long trestle table and benches, but keep them skinny.

• lepstein

What is the view outside the window? Perhaps a small desk and nice chair looking out (for ease of access). Or a reading area (chair and small side table for coffee cup/book). You could even put a small bookcase on the wall near the door.

• Claire Larece

Is this space about 5-6’? If you can find a bench a bigger bench that groveraxle suggested with one of these

https://www.worldmarket.com/product/gold-and-marble-leilani-tulip-dining-table.do

Or

https://www.article.com/product/11882/conan-round-dining-table

Glo European Windows & Doors

I would get a tulip table with 3-4 chairs:

Down the road you can build your banquette:

I am not sure about the rest of you but that space is too small for 4 chairs and a table period and honestly a banquette shoved into that space how would you even get into it.

• ritasj

You need a minimum of 30” around the table to accommodate chairs...this only leaves 13” for table width...

• Claire Larece

That’s I suggested a 3” table and the bench groveraxle suggested

• decoenthusiaste

These "look" small enough...

• hu1967910

Vacuuming in that tight space full of table and chair legs would make me nuts. How about a small, round, tavern-height table and four of these?

LumiSource Masters Adjustable Barstool With Swivel, White PU Leather · More Info

• ritasj

Something like this might work size wise....as you won’t have to pull the chairs out...but do these fit into your space...style wise..?

• ritasj

It seems your kitchen is more modern than traditional?..so it may work style-wise..but it will it block the light...view ?..sort of look wrong with pretty niche windows ....half covered?

• jemimabean

Ooh, following along as we are about to move into a house with basically the exact same set up. (Ignore the walls, missing baseboard, and half finished wood floors - the entire place is under renovation.) From the window on the left to the short wall on the right, we’ve got exactly eight feet.

I really appreciate the suggestions in the thread. Off to take a look at tables!

• chocolatebunny123

I see a door stopper, so does that mean the door opens all the way? If so you're not going to really be able to put any kind of seating there because the door will always hit it, unless I'm not looking at your picture correctly,

I'd consider making it a small office area, with the desk facing the left, similar to this.

https://diy.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/diy/fullset/2012/9/5/0/Original_Brian-Patrick-Flynn-Workstation-Beauty_s3x4.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.822.suffix/1420693207577.jpeg

• Jennifer Doan

I think the tavern height chairs will block the window even though the style does match the modern look.

I’m leaning towards the tulip style tables people have suggested (esp the ones with the gorgeous marble top.) do you really need 30” of clearance for chairs?

The door does open all the way but we rarely open it all the way.

• Jennifer Doan

I’ve been eyeing this pedestal table in the 27.5” size.

Julien Artificial Marble Dining Table
    https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/langley-street-julien-artificial-marble-dining-table-lgly5692.html

• ritasj

You really need at least 30” for chairs...room to pull then out ...to sit in and to allow room for people to get by while you are seated...it is unlikely that you have room for more than two comfortable seats in this space...

• ritasj

A tiny pedestal table is not enough for four people in any case...and there is no room for a bigger pedestal...

• Sonja Suitor

I have a similar sized nook. Our choice was 2 comfortable chairs & a table — good enuf for casual breakfasts & lunches. It’s where we gather to chat. When company comes, I pull in some windsor side chairs. I thought the space would be overloaded with a full dining spot so we just made it into a place to gather informally over coffee.

• thinkdesignlive

I agree 4 chairs will ding up the walls. But dimensions would help be 100% sure. I still think a bistro w 2 chairs and a curved bench at the back would work.

• catlady999

chocolatebunny123 - Good catch on the doorstopper. But just because it's there doesn't mean it has to be used. The hinge-pin style doorstoppers can be adjusted to limit how far back the door opens. You can chose where between 90 and 180 degrees works for the situation. :-)

• ritasj

As to the table that is 27”...try to imagine 4 place settings on what is essentially a 2foot circle....??..2place settings may not even fit !...you need a bigger table and less chairs to sit there and eat comfortably...a table 30x40...with one chair facing and one chair backing up to the window would provide enough room for two people to be comfortable

• Jennifer Doan

Good point about the tight squeeze with four chairs. I think I’ll go with 2 chairs and maybe see if I can find a small curved bench

• ritasj

To get the feel if something will fit ...try putting masking tape on the floor in the size and shape of any table you consider

• ritasj

A table that is big enough to use will not have enough room to have two chairs on the sides and still be able to pass thru to the chair or bench at the back

• ritasj

Maybe tiny stools on the sides with two chairs on the ends?.stool tops no bigger than 12”

• ritasj

Maybe start with two chairs and then see if anything can be added...

• ritasj

Keeping in mind if the table will hold 4 plates ..4 cups....a little centerpiece...room for an elbow ..silverware.....phones...I-pads?...we don’t even have a coffee without our phones...

• ritasj

30” table leaves 21.5” walkway in each side

• D N

If the budget allows, banquette for two in the back plus two tiny “perching” chairs that sit elsewhere for when needed. Edging past chairs gets old really fast.

• katinparadise

following

• hu1967910

How are your technology skills? The nifty, free version of Floorplanner software lets you make all kinds of room arrangement mistakes without actually buying furniture first. I tried it out with your room and learned that basically, everybody is right. The space is too small for any type of comfortable table/chair combination that would allow more than two people to sit with plates bigger than a saucer. Here are a three arrangements with a 36" table. I couldn't find a curved bench for the back, so had to use a straight one.

The last design looks way better to me. I used two freestanding storage benches with padded seats, pushed all the way against the wall. Then I put in a 40" by 60" double-pedestal table. Eventually, I think your space really does need a custom built-in of some sort.

If you go the rectangular table/banquette route: One thing I learned (the hard way) with a similar set-up to yours is to be REALLY CAREFUL about the type of table you choose. If you get anything with a wide apron under the top, you'll whack your knees on it EVERY TIME you sit down. No learning ever occurs. Also, look for something with pedestal legs that have as little height and as little outward flare as you can find, otherwise your feet will suffer a similar fate as your knees.

Four chairs pushed about halfway in. Much too tight.

catliesl's ideas · More Info

Two chairs: Not a great way to enjoy the view and limited seating

catliesl's ideas · More Info

Two chairs and bench (couldn't find curved). Still tight.

catliesl's ideas · More Info

Storage benches and rectangular table, in 3-D view.

catliesl's ideas · More Info

• D N

@catliesl, thanks for the mention of the free version of Floorplanner!

• cnancy

Hello from Wisconsin! When the house was purchased, I bought the table from pier 1. The chairs were added 6 months later purchased from wayfair. We have another chair in the set to pull up when needed. The light actually came with the house. (IKEA purchase). I love my breakfast nook to eat breakfast and read while facing Lake Michigan!

• chocolatebunny123

catlady999 -- I didn't think to adjust the hinges so that the door only swings out 90 degrees vs 180. It doesn't make sense to have the door swing a full 180 anyway.

• Jennifer Doan

Wow- thanks for the mock-up @catlies!

Everyone has convinced me that a small pedestal stay with two thin stools/chairs is the way to go!! I’m going to mock up with tape first to make sure before I order a table or chairs. I’m realiZing this may just be a corner for coffee rather than a real breakfast nook as I envisioned.

• Haley

Do you have anything around the house that you could place there just to test the scale and get a good feel for the space? That’s what I usual try before deciding on a purchase.

• teamaltese

Do you need this space to function as an eating space? If you have a dining room, a counter area for dining, an outdoor space for dining, well, you really don’t need a breakfast nook as well. So think of it as an extra room. Play area for the kids? Homework station? Home office? Reading nook? Craft area? It’s your home, make it work for you.

• catlady999

chocolatebunny123 - You don't really adjust the hinges, you put one of these on the hinge pin and easily control the degree of opening.

www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-2-3-5-in-Satin-Nickel-Hinge-Pin-Stop/3353164

I never use the screw-into-the-baseboard stops. The cats use the spring ones as toys and pry the rubber stops off the rigid ones.

• D N

^^^ ba-doing! ba-doing ba-doing badoinnnggg! (at 4 a.m.)

• hu1967910

My mom's cat ate the rubber stops off the rigid ones and had to have emergency abdominal surgery. He lived.

• catlady999

catliesl - So glad the kitty lived. Mine like to bat the stoppers across the floor and chase them.

DN - exactly!

• D N

^^^ I have taken in my mother’s two-years-young cat, whose official title is now Implacable Huntress of Brown Ponytail Holders. So far they have remained outside her digestive system.

• ritasj

You cat people are hilarious!...