lclark21324

Need help arranging roses

L Clark (zone 4 WY)
last modified: July 11, 2019

Hi - I apologize if this has been extensively discussed before, but I need some help. I'm brand new to roses. What are some general principals to go by when arranging roses in a landscape? I want to fill a new planter box with roses, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Would it look weird to put all roses, or should I mix in some other plants, as well? Should I try to arrange the roses by color, size, or some other way? Or is random OK? I've included a picture. How many roses can I even fit in here? The taller tier is going to be primarily roses while the first is going to be some very short-growing flowers or plant (some suggestions would be appreciated!).

Zone 4a:

Roses I like include Morden Blush, Morden Centennial, Prairie Joy, Winnipeg Parks, Cuthbert Grant, Quadra, Champlain and I want to try some of the hardier Buck roses like Barn Dance.

I understand some of these want to get huge, but in my climate I don't know how big these will get. No one I know grows roses seriously here (the only decent non-wild roses I've noticed are Winnipeg Parks and Hope for Humanity), but I'm going to give it a try. I have a Hope for Humanity that's doing really well in an exposed location by my street that I planted last spring so I'm assuming based off of research that these others I've mentioned will do well too.

I know this is a lot, but any input will be appreciated!