john_watson10

CPVC plumbing -- what's the real story?

John Watson

I'm in Florida and I have a rental property where tenants recently moved out. It has CPVC plumbing that I believe was installed in 2003, based on a date on the water heater pipe going to the ceiling...so about 16 years old.

There are some plumbing companies here in town that are very anti-CPVC. They claim it gets brittle and can't handle high temps over time in Florida. I was having some other unrelated work done and the plumber said that that the companies that make CPVC are only warrantying it for 10 years now.

But CPVC is still allowed by all the homeowner's insurance companies here...

The house is going through a big rehab right now and if I were to repipe now would be the time to do it. It would cost $2800 to go to PEX. But is it necessary, or are these plumbers just trying to sell repipes?

• Leather Pig

I own a loft in Atlanta and it has CPVC plumbing. When I installed an icemaker, one of my connections was loose and I didn't catch it until the next day. I reached under my sink to shut the water supply off and literally pulled the entire pipe out--water went everywhere. I ended up replacing the plumbing to the entire kitchen island. The beauty of this was there was absolutely no shutoff to the condo. I had to cut the water off by cutting through the main water supply and sticking a sharkbite shutoff on it. When I tried to cut the main, same thing...it literally shattered. Maybe what you could try is just grabbing a piece of pipe after a shutoff and see for yourself. One good tug on a 3 foot run of 20yo cpvc and it will shatter. So wear a glove. I plan to repipe my entire place with pex asap.

John Watson thanked Leather Pig
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

Repipe please. That brittle crap cost me a 20K insurance claim.

People turn off a shutoff valve and the pipe breaks. Cleaning ladies hit it with a mop and it breaks.

• girl_wonder

Some people don't like PVC because it's considered a health hazard. (phthalates have been linked to cancer)

https://www.livestrong.com/article/125022-health-risks-plastic-water-pipes/

John Watson thanked girl_wonder
  • John Watson

Thanks Leather Pig I'm going to try that next time I'm over there.

• geoffrey_b

It is a low quality / low budget solution. If you can afford it, replace with PEX.

• Jake The Wonderdog

PVC is great for drains - if a bit noisy. But CPVC really sucks for supply lines. It's cheap, it gets brittle, it breaks. And don't even think about CPVC shutoffs. Just don't do it.

If you are remodeling, change the plumbing also.

• John Watson

Err...on this thread you told the person they should NOT repipe...

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5172586/proactively-repipe-cpvc-house-with-pex#n=2

• Jake The Wonderdog

" If you are remodeling, change the plumbing also."

Indeed... the point here is that one is doing a major remodel and one wasn't.

CPVC sucks - it's crappy material and I'd never use it. But there's a lot of it out there and I'm not going to tell everyone who has it to do a re-pipe.

But... if you have the walls open anyway... get rid of it.

John Watson thanked Jake The Wonderdog
  • John Watson

Well it sprung a small leak this morning from a glued area near where the shower mixing valve is after I turned the water to the house on...so the decision is made to repipe for sure. Glad I found this out before putting a new tenant in that place.

• geoffrey_b

@John Watson: That post, you have linked to - the person wondered if they should rip out the CPVC - I said no. But in this case, because the person already has things opened up - they should certainly do it.

John Watson thanked geoffrey_b