Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molly_shriver_blake

Help something’s gotta change here. Exterior house woes

Molly Shriver-Blake
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

my partner and I are buying this house. We are doing so because of the location, NOT the exterior. We have to find a way to try to fix this but I’m terrible at visualizing. I know it’s not going to end up beautiful but there’s got to be some options.

The roof was done 2 years ago so we really can’t change anything there. Our spending needs to be smart... but the wood paneling needs attention so could get repainted.

My my thoughts were a light blue or light green and then add as much white trim as possible. Could that help? Anything to help the windows?

Comments (19)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

What in the world is going on with your entry? Is this a Raised Ranch with a mansard roof? Your door is placed half way between the first floor and the second. That is very unusual.

I think something has be to done to improve on the proportions of the roof, see third picture below where they added something to lengthen the roof visually.

I don't see how you can add a pastel color with the rustic roof and expect it to work.

These are more typical mansard roof homes where the proportions are 1/2 and 1/2 or 1/3 2/3's

Molly Shriver-Blake thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Your roof shingles appear to be Hickory, so paint has to work with that selection.

or Barkwood

This is the only home with a mansard roof I could find that had shingles similar to yours. The Pumpkin Spic House.

Molly Shriver-Blake thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Molly Shriver-Blake
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, it’s a raised ranch. For some reason they were all the rage for a couple decades in this area. This is the only one I’ve seen with this roof issue though.

Flo, we have our inspection Monday, I’ll be sure to bring these thoughts to the inspector. The sellers don’t seem the type to have let anything go to disrepair with any sort of intention, but the roof pitch is very flat for the amount of snow we get so I’ve wondered that too. The wood siding mostly looks good, there are only a handful that look like they need replacement.

• Molly Shriver-Blake
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beverly, any ideas on how to lengthen? You’re right, it’s a odd ratio!

• acm
    4 years ago

Second empire! wow. to me, this looks more like a foursquare that was remuddled by somebody who loved mansard roofs. Still, lighter will definitely be an improvement.

All that and a shiny new lantern next to the door (larger and more interesting). Door could be many colors -- sage, cranberry, aqua, black, whatever you like with this approach.

Be sure that it's currently painted, not stained, before you start adding a layer...

• doods
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

ACM I wish I could say that the new colors on the house were an improvement, but I've been struggling for 30 minutes on a recolor and nothing looks good with that roof color except more of the same color.

• acm
    4 years ago

Minka Lavery Bay Crest 1 Light Wall Mount - Dorian Bronze · More Info

Charlie 1-Light Oil Rubbed Bronze LED Outdoor Wall Mount Sconce · More Info

20" Steel Shade, 23" Gooseneck Barn Light, Galvanized, Standard - No Bulb · More Info

Harwich Dualux 10" Outdoor Wall Light · More Info

Just some ideas. Something smaller by the door, larger over the garage...

Molly Shriver-Blake thanked acm
  • Molly Shriver-Blake
    4 years ago

I'm clearly not using an app as effective as yours, but you all don't think this looks any better?

• Molly Shriver-Blake
    4 years ago

or this

• Lee Baer
    4 years ago

Paint siding and trim as you say. Paint the front door to a nice contrasting and inviting color. Also get some attractive front door lights. Change out the railings to something more decorative. Change the steps to blue stone ior slate f you can afford that. Add color to your landscaping. Good luck!

Molly Shriver-Blake thanked Lee Baer
  • cat_ky
    4 years ago

No, I think it looks better the color it is. Your siding looks like it could be stained, rather than painted. I would leave it for now at least, and put your dollars into something over the front door for a shelter, over the steps. Would be nice if you could make it big enough for a chair or two, but, even a small one would be great, and paint your door a nice brighter color, and add some color to your landscaping. I think you will be much happier with the looks of the house after that. Hopefully congratulations will be in order before too long.

Molly Shriver-Blake thanked cat_ky
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Remove that rustic rail fencing in front and on the side. I don't think the house would look quite so quirky if you painted it white. A white house with a brown roof wouldn't stand out as so odd. Paint the garage door and trim white too so nothing jumps out except the roof. All the different colors just look like a mad attempt to pull the attention away from the roof, and serves no real purpose because it isn't doing the job. Put the focus on the entry by adding a wider porch and steps, and paint the door in a blue that works better with the brown.

Molly Shriver-Blake thanked decoenthusiaste
  • partim
    4 years ago

I like the darker tones for your wood, similar to the rendition by BeverlyFLAdeziner, but would go a true gray with the color. Like this color scheme. Your roof is the warm wood tones. The garage door should be the same gray as the siding. The front door could be white or black.

I did a rendition of a simpler landscaping. The rustic-looking beams are not in keeping with your house style, and are distracting. I don't think you need that front bed at all, and the beds beside the house need larger shrubs.

Molly Shriver-Blake thanked partim
  • partim
    4 years ago

Molly Shriver-Blake thanked partim
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

following