terriwatsonlsu

art - critique needed

terriwatsonlsu

Hello...still new to Houzz but have a few posts. I found an artist on Etsy and purchased the top canvas to be painted a specific size over my fireplace. The bottom is the latest version they have shared with me. We have been going back and forth with edits these past few weeks and I’m kinda going crazy staring at all the differences I see. Am I being unreasonable? I need outside opinions. Husband is over the situation and telling me to just handle it. The obvious differences is the gold tone is off and the blending isn’t the same. Any other art language I can get them to get this right??!! Thanks in advance.

• terriwatsonlsu

What I purchased (left) vs what I am being offered (right)...

• jmm1837

I doubt you'll ever get an exact copy of something individually hand painted. Embrace the little bit of individuality in your version.

Yes, you are being very unreasonable. If you want an exact copy, go to a retailer, like great big canvas, and get one of a thousand exactly the same.

Filipe Custom Woodwork

I actually like the second version. The colors a more vibrant versus the original very muted.

If it's custom each will be different. Custom is custom.

• pennydesign

Don't forget that when it's in your home, you won't have anything to compare it too...

Are you being unreasonable?...yeah...maybe just a bit :) Life's too short, really...

• ilikefriday

Yes, you are being totally unreasonable. If you want an exact copy then why not buy something that you love that is mass produced? Or better yet, take a photograph of that painting. It would likely be a lot cheaper. Part of the appeal of custom artwork is that it is not exactly like the thing next to it.

What you have is a pretty darn close copy. I think the Etsy artist did an amazing job.

• Sammy

This is a very sketchy way to buy art, no pun intended. Just cancel the order and buy real art. Or have an interesting photo that you’ve taken and get it enlarged and printed on glass. My brother did that and it looks pretty cool.

P.S. Hopefully the Etsy listing doesn’t pretend that this is the work of one single artist who then reproduces it himself or herself, which a real artist wouldn’t do anyway.

https://trendgallery.art/products/large-oil-painting-original-canvas-gold-leaf-painting-artwork-abstract-acrylic-painting-on-canvas

• terriwatsonlsu

Appreciate the feedback. I didn’t think it was a sketchy way. We love the sample painting and thought that was what we would be getting. We had higher expectations and will think about it over the weekend.

• Yayagal

The second painting is a cropped and closer version of the first painting. As an artist myself, the one you received is a better version, texture is much better. Keep it.