jennifer_michel38

NEED HELP PLEASE ASAP! Apartment OVERHAUL

Jennifer Michel
last modified: July 11, 2019

Hey guys, so I’m helping my mom remodel the first floor apartment and I have some real dilemmas rn. For a more visual aspect its a 2 bedroom, full bath, living room, kitchen and breakfast nook.

Dilemma #1 as you can see in first photo it’s a very standard layout of the bathroom. I do feel that the toilet is a bit close to the vanity. The contractor states that it may be possible to move it over about 3 inches to the right. The plus side I could fit a larger vanity there BUT the problem is I can only go as large as a 28’ which isn’t a very common size. Without moving the toilet I can only fit a 24’ which is still a decent size. So the question is should I just stink with where things are OR move the toilet and go through the headache of finding a 28’ vanity? - so far I haven’t found anything I like and there’s not many options. REMEMBER 24’ and 30’ are VERY common but there’s no room for anything over 28’

Dilemma #2 (photos 2&3) In the kitchen the current layout has the stove and refrigerator right next to each other. So I suggested moving the fridge over passed the bump out that unfortunately you cant see pass the first photo (it’s semi visible in the 3rd photo). I would say it’s more of a BUMP IN about 10 inches give or take. The great thing is if I do put the fridge there in that corner we can can a substantial amount of cabinet space between the two appliances BUT I would eat into the breakfast nook (Pun intended lol). Should I sacrifice the space to make the kitchen bigger OR keep the layout? As a solution I figure a table with two chairs would still be able to fit and the living room is big enough where small dinning area can sit 4-6 (me being idealistic but most likely 4) along with a living room furniture. For an added bonus the last photos 4&5 are of the living room.

PS NOTHING I REPEAT NOTHING IS STAYING EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!!!

thank you in advice for the help guys!

Best is if you can post detailed to scale floor plans of each space and also some idea of budget. As for the bathroom I do not see how the toilet can be moved at all it would then be squished against the tub. Floor plans are a must for any help at all. Usually in apartments moving plumbing is not doable so IMO that toliet needs to stay where it is.

• hcbm

I have almost the same exact bathroom layout. It isn't worth the expense to move the toilet. Is this for a rental or is a family member going to move in? If a rental, what kind of market is it? Upscale? Student? Urban? The answers will help decide what to spend money on and what type of finishes you might consider.

• herbflavor

Pedestal sinks are the solution for more hip and toe room and general maneuverability issues.then get a better vanity mirror/medicine /lighted cab to hold all the stuff .And a chrome towel shelf on wall above toilet ...they have a rod for face cloths and hand towels to hang usually.

• Jennifer Michel

@patricia I can get measurements of everything in a few days. That would be a better visual of the layout. currently the bathroom is down to the studs

@hcbm a family member is moving it it’s 2 family home so it’s not in an apartment building.@herbflavor being that it’s the only bathroom I would prefer a vanity then a pedestal sink for obvious reasons like storage. Thanks for the suggestion.

thoughts on the kitchen?