tvq1

Adviceneeded: Ideas for flooring in back entry & laundry

tvq1

We need to replace the existing sheet vinyl in our back entry/laundry area. This in the entry from our garage in to the laundry, then into the family room. There is also a small bath and a small office off of this area. We use this entry almost exclusively, so we definitely need something that will wear well.

I would like to keep all the flooring the same, of course. I am thinking LVT (Tiles--not planks) in a natural stone look. Porcelain or ceramic tile is not an option due to existing subfloor.

The new floor will abut (at a doorway to a small hall) our new site-finished hardwood in our family room, which is a warm medium brown oak. The walls are currently a medium warm gray, but will be repainted this fall--I'm thinking a much lighter color.

Any other ideas for a durable, nice looking floor that will not look "cheesy" next to our beautiful hardwood? I'm open to suggestions--even a new sheet vinyl if there is something that is durable and decent looking.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions!

• pennydesign

Wondering why you're not using porcelain/ceramic tile?

tvq1 thanked pennydesign
  • tvq1

Pennydesign--we've not considered tile because sub floor is not adequate--joists too far apart. We are not willing to replace subfloor, as that would be quite costly. There would also be an issue with transition height from tile to hardwood.

We're trying to keep it fairly simple and within our budget, as we just invested in new hardwood floors in the rest of the downstairs.

• Lucy R

Have you considered cork? We are using cork in our kitchen which abuts family room with oak engineered wood. It is not as durable as tile but may work. We are going with tile for our entry/laundry area. There are a lot of options in vinyl and marmoleum if that is what you need for durability.

tvq1 thanked Lucy R
  • tvq1

Lucy R--we did look at cork, but didn't find one that we liked--too close to the color of the new hardwood. Thanks for the idea, though!

• Lucy R

FYI this was our cork choice harris ork Napa FAWN

tvq1 thanked Lucy R
  • DLM2000-GW

We have this one (Mannington Filagree in Pewter) in our back entry, laundry/mudroom and powder room. It butts up to our white oak floors that are throughout the rest of the house. It's been many years since I had sheet vinyl and never thought I would again but I love it. It wears well, is VERY comfortable to walk on and has been no problem with our dog. One of the things that makes it so easy is that it has coloration that make it look worn - dirt just doesn't show. I can get a picture tomorrow where it meets the wood if that helps.

• swrite

Agree with the previous poster that there are some much better sheet vinyls out these days. The samples are often hidden in back of the flooring stores (the big box stores don’t have the good stuff). I used some by this company: https://www.ivcfloors.com/flooring/sheet-vinyl-flooring/all-products/. In my entry, I used Mannington Adura LVT tiles with no grout & they butt up to engineered wood. Looks fine as long as you don’t pick a wood pattern & the colors are compatible.

tvq1 thanked swrite