Thorny and purple flower?!? What am I?

HU-748127958
last modified: July 12, 2019

Can someone tell me what this is? It’s about 5 feet tall, thorns all over, and a purple, spiny flower comes out of the buds. It is in SW Michigan.

• lilyd74 (5b sw MI)

No picture. You have to wait awhile for pics to load.

Just a wild guess with no photo to confirm......a thistle?

I keep trying to load a photo and it won’t stay. I’ll try again.

Finally!! Is it a weed or a plant?

• Tootsie

Definitely a thistle!

Thank You for taking the time to answer.

• Lyndee Lee

All weeds are plants. Most any plant can be a weed as weeds are any plants that are not wanted where they are growing. Thistles are considered a noxious weed so they need to be removed before they start to take over the space.

Thank you.

• CaWill

Agree, it's a thistle - & like Lyndee says it is considered a noxious week and will take over - farmers spray their fescue (grass) seed) crop for this weed. PULL IT!

Ok. Thank you.

• roccouple

Thistle. butterflies and goldfinches love it. In fact it’s what goldfinches like most. its an ecologically important plant although most people don’t like them in their yards. We let some come up in our yard each year and watch the goldfinches go wild in August.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

There are stacks of different thistles. Yours could be Cirsium vulgare, but I don't know what other species you might have in your area. 5 ft tall is quite some specimen.