New house give me your ideas

We are in process of moving into this house on 10 gorgeous acres. I'd like the house to have a light country farmhouse-ish feel. The people before us put 3 different types of Brazilian tile in it lol. So our first plan is laminate wood throughout most of it and carpet in the bedrooms. The mud room has tile that I'm ok with for now. I already started painting the living room repose grey but the texture I'm not a fan of either. We don't have a huge budget and some of the things will need to be done over time. thanks

• katinparadise

Unless you skim coat all the walls, it will be hard to cover the texture. You could try sanding the texture down a bit but that would be a huge job. Use a flat or matte paint sheen to help hide the texture a bit.

RL Relocation LLC

Are you painting the crown molding gray too? With only one photo we are not sure what you need ideas for.

Can you give me some ideas or suggesstions for front of my house

Homes with predominant garages and driveways cater more to the automobile than to pedestrians, to say nothing of eye appeal. Your front walk is likely too far up the driveway, a common mistake by most builders. Remove that tree and redo your front walk so that some part of the front walk is visible from the sidewalk or end of the driveway. This is more welcoming to visitors who arrive by foot. Also, if there are cars in the driveway, give people some paved surface to walk comfortably to the front door - not having to walk in the grass or rub up against a car to get to the front door. This usually can be accomplished by widening the walk, lengthening it so that the entrance to the walk is further down the driveway, and by adding a carriage walk along the driveway. Remove the tree, it is a negative. Not worth transplanting. Achieve privacy by other landscape elements. I will find some photos as examples for you and post separately.

Kitchen Layout in our new home is giving me a headache!! Help!!

Your plan did not attach. Please try again.

Revisiting the outside of my house. Please give me your views

So is there a larger, "main" house? Is the style similar? Any photos? How old is your house? Do you have any photos of the original windows? If you really can't change the roof line of the garage (I am not suggesting tearing it off, just fixing the roof line), then I would suggest determining the most appropriate window and entry style by looking at other homes on grounds similar to the one where yours is sited. You will still want an architect at some point to scale the entry to your home. Get the best quality of windows you can afford, and remove the shutters. I agree, the entry is problematic, but there are probably economical ways to address it. I would not spend a cent on anything except the entry and the windows, except maybe some landscaping around the entry.

please give me some ideas on how to improve this house...

The house is cute enough. Perhaps paint your front door a contrasting color. Red is an obvious option. Decorate your porch like a room with outdoor furniture and rugs. Your biggest problem is the yard. Start from scratch on the landscaping and front walkway design, but keep the tree. Remove the circle around the tree. Really enlarge the beds making the edges curved and layer plants at the foundations. Make the path to the porch curved and less direct. Make a walkway from the stones, if you have enough. If you want lawn, it will take a lot of work, water and chemicals. Look at Houzz and other sites for inspiration. Here are a few pics for inspiration. Not sure the colors will display right. Similar colors with nice special details. This is a nice example of how landscape changes a house. Nice curved walkway and bed. Great red door. Enjoy the journey!
  • wsea

Also to help minimize texture you should use flat paint. Looks like you are painting with some sheen to it Which highlights all the edges.

• rachann61

I admit it: I am outdated. But I like the tile. The gray paint will highlight the tile nicely. Good choice. You might want to include some Mediterranean elements with your modern farmhouse style. World Market and Houzz has great stuff. It will give you a world traveler vibe. Do you already have stuff from your own travels? Use them. There are great world atlas artworks to hang

• teddytoo

I love this tile as well! I would spend my money on fixing the wall texture and a beautiful neutral rug. I think you could go very modern Farmhouse with white walls(might hide the texture better too if you choose not to fix it), keeping the tile and adding charcoal/black, wood, and greenery decor. It would also brighten the room immensely.

• teddytoo

I might have to change my mind on the tile. The transition to the next room is Awful and would drive me crazy that the grout lines don’t line up. Is it a photographic illusion or truly they don’t line up? If they don’t, laminate floors all the way. I still would change the grey wall though.

• jbtanyderi

Put laminate wood floors in the bedrooms as well: better for breathing and for dust control. By all means have bedside rugs that can be either washed or sent out for cleaning, depending on the type of rug youselect.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Nothing wrong with texture on the walls, but DO NOT USE a paint with any more sheen than Eggshell, use flat on the ceilings. This will minimize the appearance of the texture. Also do not use any dark colors because that will enhance the textures.

That tile in your photo would be the first item I would demo. No matter the location it has to go.....all of it.

You can do laminate, but it looks as though you have kids, and maybe there is a pet in the picture. I would select a good wood look tile, classic in color. This is form Floor & Decor and would complement either a Farmhouse or Contemporary style and stand up to the mud and wet that is going to enter from the 10 acres.

• Emily Ingram Anderson

rl relocation.. our internet isn't hooked up yet so I'm not getting good phone reception lol.. I loaded more pics just waiting for them to go through..

RL Relocation LLC

I like the tile, but I agree it's way too much going on here, that being said, I feel like the gray is wrong! Also you have beautiful crown in that room, dont paint it the wall color. I feel like you might be putting the cart before the horse with painting. Have you picked the laminate you will use?

RL Relocation LLC

I would start by painting the ceilings white, flat white, then I would paint the walls.

• thinkdesignlive

Stop! There is absolutely no need to paint yet. You don’t even know what your floors will be. Even though it’s ‘just paint’ you are potentially wasting your time. I’d think your time is best spent researching and pricing floors. It’s going to be very expensive for demo alone on the floors and your inclination will be to save $ by going with a less expensive floor product which could also be a waste of money long term. There is no need to rush - research, plan and budget and you will make wise choices for the long term. Enjoy your new home.

• thinkdesignlive

Not to mention that if you end up doing new floors soon you will have lots of touch up and cleaning (the dust is horrible ripping up that tile). Painting now is just not the order of business. However it’s your house and realistically if you have to wait awhile for floors having the walls done may make you feel better. Also, you may through value engineering decide one of those rooms stays tile so you may end up working with it (it’s been known to happen - budget restraints, and just ‘getting used to it). So just a word of caution.

• Gcubed

I actually like the tile in your kitchen, but that’s just my opinion. Maybe wood look tile in all the other rooms that will flow with one of the base colors of the kitchen tile (neutral). Wait on painting the walls until floors are down- matte finish is good for irregular walls. I think soft white with semi-gloss crown in same color or complementary color would brighten up the space. If you are keeping kitchen cabinets for now, perhaps a soft color on wall to complement the tiles (BM Smoke or SW Sea Salt). Floors first, then paint. Then live with it and figure out the rest. Enjoy your new home!

• CindyR

Congratulations on your new home with lots of property to roam! Oh my goodness the dust created from floor demo will be so bad and hard on you and the kiddos!

We just took out our laminate and put in Modin vinyl planks. Much thinner than laminate, no “hollow” sound, feels and looks great. Vinyl plank may be an option if you don’t want to or have to demo all of the tile.

I actually like the tile style by the way! It seems like some of the “new” “retro” tiles I have seen lately. If you want to live with it a while, you could make it look much better and purposeful with some subtle or single-color area rugs, and your home is so naturally dark inside that I would paint it a light color (not grey!!!). I really love the BM Cloud White on my walls.

I guess the first thing to do is get a notebook and write out a list of things you want to do, in the order that best suits your budget and family situation. For now, enjoy the summer with your kiddos!

• CindyR

PS: Re your flooring plans:

I see you have a wall between your kitchen and living room. Will you be leaving that wall? If you think you may want to remove it, hold off on the flooring and just paint. I can see you being there a while and then deciding to remove the wall, and then the “new” flooring will be an issue. So...I think living in it a while with the flooring as-is, would be a good idea!

But - I’m not a pro!

• rachann61

Oh god, I did not see that those two tiles are next to each other. Too much of a good thing. Are these tiles new and in good shape? I think I like the tile in the kitchen best. It works well with all the other elements. Are you/ and family good at DYI? Floating vinyl plank flooring might be a good option. The transition might be a tricky. Do you have a local Lumber Liquidators? I love my vinyl plank. It is not cold on your feet. Cleans well. Take abuse from kids, adults, and dogs

BeverlyFLADeziner

Do your research. Sometimes it possible to install tile directly over old tile depending on conditions and elevations. It's done successfully all the time here in Florida.

If you have not lived in the country before it is a change of life and stuff gets tracked in from who knows where.

https://www.flooranddecor.com/catalogs/2019-summer-catalog.html

• njmomma

following

• Not a Pro

following

• D N

I was about to say that I love the kitchen tile, and then I saw the two that were put in backwards. What on earth?

Did th previous owners leave any unused tiles? That needs fixing.

• ShadyWillowFarm

She is on a budget. Let’s use some common sense.

Emily, your kitchen looks to be in really good shape. Do you have any art, display pieces, dinnerware, etc that you have from your old house that you will be using in this house? Maybe you can pull some colors from the items you plan on using in that space for a kitchen wall color.

WRT flooring, I live on a small farm and that tile posted a few comments above is way too light. You need something just a bit darker. If your dirt has a reddish tint, think about choosing something more along the color of cinnamon. I live on a small farm, and matching my flooring to the dirt at my back door was the smartest thing I did. I was at a horse show all day yesterday and spend most of today mowing and I’ve attached a photo of what my back entry looks like right this minute. And that’s just from me and my husband! If you have kids, you will make yourself crazy if you use flooring in the most used entry that won’t hide the dirt. Since your kitchen and living room have such a big opening the floors will need to match or coordinate well. I’d make that decision first.

• felizlady

Perhaps skimcoating the walls with plaster or sanding the walls will help reduce the texture. Flat paint will help dull texture. Flat paint does not reflect light the way semigloss or glossy paint does, so gray flat paint will not help rooms feel light or bright. I recommend white paint until you come up with a whole-house color scheme.
    If the tile is well-laid and even, you may be able to install laminate over it. How tall are your walls? If they are the minimum 8’, adding the thickness of laminate will give you a low-ceiling feel. I would not like that.
    You may also have plans to remodel or open up more windows in order to enjoy the land you now own. Live in the house for a while before making final plans.

• Sonja Suitor

Last year we moved into a home with beautiful Brazilian cherry laminate wood floors. They are beautiful but the maintenance is awful. Every footprint and paw print shows. Constantly and I mean daily or more it needs to be wiped. And I never feel it cleans up. Had tile & a steam mop in the house before & it was handsome & easy care. If you can’t afford real wood, I would — stay calm now — look at the newest vinyl wood. It looks great & cleans well. But I would definitely try to work real wood into the budget.

• Emily Ingram Anderson

pics won't load but I'll keep trying

• Emily Ingram Anderson

its actually three different tile patterns in three adjoining rooms. It's too much.

• CindyR

I see now why you want to change the flooring. I don’t have any advice, but whether or not you cover up or remove your tile is likely dependent on the current condition of your tile, and what type of subfloor, etc.

There are so many helpful and knowledgeable people on this board who have already posted, and I’m sure you will figure out a plan soon.

On a positive note - you have a very nice sunroom!

• acm

Wow, that's a lot of tile. Agree with the desirability of replacing.

Here are some practical thoughts to mull:

1) jackhammering it up is a HUGE job, expensive and messy

2) laying new flooring over it raises questions about your kitchen (imagine losing a tile or board thickness from the base of all cabinets, squeezing appliance spaces, etc.) unless you go with a very thin, say vinyl, flooring. baseboards in general will also be affected.

3) if you decide to keep tile in some place (mud room), it will no longer be level with new flooring, so the transition needs to be someplace where you can have a proper saddle or other transition piece, i.e., a doorway.

You're looking at a lot of square footage, so it might be that the best short-term solution would be a roll of vinyl flooring over the tile (could look like wood or tile, etc), with liberal use of area rugs and so forth, and start saving up for the jackhammer. However, you might have good solutions to some of the other issues...

• happyleg

If u keep the gray paint; pick floor that has gray in it. My floors 2.5 rooms cost 3k.

• Kathi Steele

following

RL Relocation LLC

This is a freaking awesome house that window wall is amazing! Oh I cant wait to watch it happen for you!

• itsokay

I am not a fan of tile in general (too hard on the feet, not to mention my dishes when i drop them, lol). My preference would always be for real wood floors. That said, if your budget is tight, maybe you should consider painting the tile. I googled and found quite a few very encouraging sites. https://www.bobvila.com/articles/painting-tile-floors/ or https://www.drivenbydecor.com/how-painting-bathrooms-ceramic-tile-floors-diy/ for example. You may need an extra coat or two to cover those patterns and you can replace the floors in a few years when you have more money/time.

• Emily Ingram Anderson

thanks! yes the view here is amazing. here are my kids with some friends right off the back porch

• Ellen Tracy

I hope you share all your progress with us.

• Emerald Living

Work with it, not against it.
    If you look at some of the farmhouses this past year vs when “fixer upper” was on air, you will see a Spanish or bohemian influence. I would leave the tile. I think the wall texture would be fine if you went with that style.
    Paint the walls white, like alabaster or Greek villa. Alabaster is really popular and could contrast trim. It is a warmer white without going too creamy. The trim could be a different white, like extra white or high reflective white for a pop. Some people paint the walls and trim all the same white for a clean and contemporary look.
    Also for paint, grey is a neutral and will stick around for a while, but I see warmer tones coming back into style. Or really rich colors like deep blue-greens. Particularly for a powder room. I think you could pull that off better than most because of he tile.
    Use a mix of natural wood and painted white furnishings.
    A jute rug would be good texture. Or a nice woven rug that isn’t busy. I think a Turkish rug would compete too much.
    Lights that have a black finish would have the farmhouse feel. If you end up liking the worldly look, use brass. It is also popular because Art Deco is coming back in style.
    Use plants for further contrast and texture. Consider changing lights to recessed lights for a more modern feel. Use color theory and lighting if you need to trick the eye to help with flow between rooms with different tile.

• Emerald Living

I just saw more of the pics- didn’t see with the original post. That is way too much tile and it doesn’t flow. If you float a floor it won’t be even if you keep some of the tile. May have to rip up the tile you don’t like and then put the floor down. Don’t mix warm and cool tones. I don’t think you can do cool if you keep the tile. Sorry for my oversight before when I missed the updated pics.

• thinkdesignlive

Emerald I think you gave good advice - they may need for budget reasons to keep one large area of one of those tiles - kitchen would probably be the most practical but wish it was the patterned tile that was used in the living area as I find that to be the best of the bunch.

• rachann61

I like the tile in the kitchen the best too. The alabaster white paint for the walls is a great idea. Very Greek looking. Maybe a large beige rug in the family room ( orange walls) will be the best thing to do until you can get rid of the tile. I got nothing for the transition

• apple_pie_order

Have you already gotten estimates for demoing the tile and replacing it with laminate? Once you have numbers in hand, you can decide what to do when.

If you choose to live with the tile for a while, have it professionally cleaned and sealed if it wasn't done by the sellers right before you bought it. The tile may lighten up considerably. That will affect your paint color choices.

A real farmhouse with the wonderful amount of land you have gets a lot of dust and grit brought in on the floors, even with the very common farmers' "no shoes in the house" rule. As suggested above, pick something close to the backyard dirt color. Scoop a few teaspoons of dirt into a ziploc bag and keep the bag in the car for shopping trips to look at new flooring.

• Kathi Steele

IF the floor is level, you can put down the pad and put the floating laminate floor on top of the tile. We did in our kitchen and it has worked out just fine. It has been down 10 years with no problems!!

• Emily Ingram Anderson

matching the back yard dirt coloring. what's a genius idea. I've never heard that

• valinta
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>How old is your house? Before you start sanding a ripping up flooring I urge you to get tests for lead paint and asbestos, then proceed as warranted on your demo. Despite some comments that new floorin and paint before you have a master plan is a waste of time and money, I think those two basics would provide a cleaner slate for planning. current floors make me carnival-ride dizzt
  • thinkdesignlive

Then cover them with rugs. You would never in a million years paint those floors and then expect them to hold up for more than a week with the activity level of the OPs home. That is indeed a waste of time and money.

Susan Tiritilli

I am thinking the same thing CindyaR said. A white on the walls will brighten the space. The tile could work for a little while with a neutral rug. Think old world European, at least until you are ready to do your remodel. Better to wait and think it through.

• apple_pie_order

IME, Don Aslett gets the credit for matching back yard dirt with new flooring. His book "Make Your House Do the Housework" has excellent, practical ideas for new and old houses. Written with a sense of humor, too. https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-House-Do-Housework/dp/0937750336

RL Relocation LLC

Just curious, but can the tiles stay and floor be laid over them with proper leveling?